IBU question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of hops did you use?

And how many ounces, AA% (alpha-acid percentage), and form (whole leaf, pellet, plugs)?

Plug the batch volume (5 gallons?), the fermentables, boil volume (3 gallons), and hops in here: http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

May not apply to your batch, but my first batch was a stout that I thought at first was a little bitter, but the bitterness toned down after a couple months and other flavors started coming out. I don't think it was hop bitterness; it just needed time to mellow.

I'm sorry to interrupt this topic, but I have a related question...

If I dry hop in secondary for 2 weeks, is it going to increase the bitterness of the beer?

If I dry hop in secondary for 2 weeks, is it going to increase the bitterness of the beer?

Nope. Dry hopping only adds flavor/aroma. No bitterness.

Nope. The hops have to be boiled to release bitterness.

so can I just throw muslin bag with hop pellets inside to the beer during secondary?

Yep. Although i usually throw the pellets in loose and then use a fine mesh bag over my siphon when I rack, but either way is fine.

so can I just throw muslin bag with hop pellets inside to the beer during secondary?

If you are using pellet hops I wouldn't bother with putting them in a bag. Just dump them in your secondary. As long as you add them with a week to go they will all sink to the bottom by bottling time.

Also I wouldn't bother with the mesh over the racking cane or stainless steel scrubber over the racking cane. It is a pain and more trouble than it is worth.

The only time i had trouble with dumping hops directly into secondary was when I used whole leaf. Those suckers float forever.

Back