I2C connected PID controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowger

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to find a temperature controller for my RIMS setup that I can remotely control (say, with an Arduino).

Before I go any farther, I would think that this is a question that has been asked/answered a 100 times, and, if so, I really hate to be one of those guys, but I've spent an hour now searching this forum and haven't found anything beyond a handful of RS-485 connected controllers.

Ideally, I'd like to use a simpler connection, like I2C, SPI, or even a TTL-level serial input. Does anything like this exist?

I know that many just bypass the controller and run their own PID firmware to make this happen, but I was thinking that if something is easily available that I could replace my "MyPin" PID controller with, it would be a quick and simple upgrade to my setup.

All I really want to do for now is to just be able to run a stepped profile for the mash temp.

Thanks for any pointers.
Bryan
Auburn, CA

You can do a stepped mash with the automation direct solo PIDs. Some of them have rs-485 interfaces that allow you to run their configuration software on a PC. It gives you a nice table that you can enter the times/Temps into so you don't have to spend a ton of time pressing buttons on the PID itself. You can setup the profile ahead of time so you don't need to have a PC connected while brewing.

Also I am sure adafruit, spark fun, or some other hobby electronics place sells a UART to RS-485 breakout board. In general RS-485 is way more robust of an interface when your signals leave the circuit board. I2C and SPI aren't really meant for cables or long runs.

Also I am sure adafruit, spark fun, or some other hobby electronics place sells a UART to RS-485 breakout board. In general RS-485 is way more robust of an interface when your signals leave the circuit board. I2C and SPI aren't really meant for cables or long runs.

Thanks, I think this is the way to go. I found an older thread in which New England Temperature Sensors were selling a very nice RS-232 controller for $75, so I picked one of those up. And I agree, a simple Arduino RS-232 shield solves that problem.

Bryan

I have an arduino talking modbus RTU (rs485) to an automation direct Plc (sending and recieving) If you're interested I can send you the source code. All you would likely need to do is update the communication settings and signal address's.

Why don't you just use an Arduino?

I don't have a great answer, other than I was just looking for something quick and easy. I'm very comfortable with the Arduino programming environment but wasn't sure how to replace a PID controller in terms of both hardware and firmware.

With the new PID controller on its way, I'm thinking I can just write a quick sketch to implement one or more mash temp profiles (e.g. 30 minute rest at 140, ramp up by 1 degree each 3 minutes to 158, mash out at 170, etc). Add a little LCD display and a couple of control buttons and I'm done. We'll see....

I have an arduino talking modbus RTU (rs485) to an automation direct Plc (sending and recieving) If you're interested I can send you the source code. All you would likely need to do is update the communication settings and signal address's.

Yes, please! PM sent...

Sounds like you've probably already got the load switching portion of the problem handled. I would stick with a software approach as it'll be much easier to tune than a black box solution.

-Bob
(also in Auburn, CA)

Sounds like you've probably already got the load switching portion of the problem handled. I would stick with a software approach as it'll be much easier to tune than a black box solution.

-Bob
(also in Auburn, CA)

Hi Bob,

Yes, I have a solid state relay that's switching a 220V element in my RIMS, with a temperature probe into my current PID controller, creating the closed-loop system. While I know many have done it, I didn't necessarily want to reinvent the wheel with hardware to interface to the temperature probe / SSR, and the software to do the fuzzy logic / auto-tune.

I may well get there someday, but I'm hoping I'll be fine with an upgraded PID controller for now. As I mentioned, I simply wish to auto-step my mash profile. I should have that hardware in this week and will play around with the programming aspect before converting my brew rig over.

Bryan

Back