I won a beer competition today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindenMan

Reaction score
I had my Brown Porter judged in a contest today, and I won Best of Category 12-A. I never saw that even coming...
I got a 36/50, and a 38/50, the highest scores I have ever gotten. I am blown away that my second competition ever entry, killed the show.
Wow, I will frame my score sheets, and treasure my trophy glass.

Awesome! How about a picture of the beer in a glass, and a recipe?

Thank you all for the words of encouragement, I can't send a pictures right now as we are down to three bottles of that batch, and as I sit here, I am listening to the airlock of the next batch fermenting. My wife kept telling me, I should find a contest and enter. I'm thinking, "Yeah, right, the first contest I entered, I got hung out to dry." I am my own worst critic, and not wanting to read another bad review, I drug my feet to do it.
I have made two batches of this same recipe, and they tasted the same both times, so I trust my recipe and technique. Truth be told, winning really humbles me. I realize what kind of dedication this craft requires to do it well, and hopefully from now on, I can still make beers that I'm proud of, whether they are true to style, or not.
The competition was, "The 3rd Annual Thirsty Boy Home Brew Competition", Carson City, Nevada, January 2014.

For those that asked, here is the recipe:

2014 Brown Porter, Best of Category Winning Recipe

8# US 2-row
0.5# Special Roast "50"
1.0# Crystal 50-60
0.7# Chocolate Malt (British)
1.0# Brown Malt (British)

1.75 oz Fuggles @ 60
0.25 oz Fuggles @ 20

Wyeast London ESB 1968, with 16 oz Starter
60 minute boil
1 teaspoon Irish Moss @ 15
3 oz priming sugar, (corn sugar). Plan on waiting 3 weeks to fully carbonate.

I added the Special Roast to compensate for not using Maris Otter, apparently it worked, as the judges both commented on how British/English the flavor was. This was my first batch in my new fermentation chamber. (gotta love those STC-1000's)
Held wort temperature at 64* F for 1 week, and gradually raised temp daily to 70* F in one week, and held at 70* F for 2 more weeks. Cold crashed to 32* F for 1 week, and beer was crystal clear, so I bottled .

Comments: This yeast is very happy @ 62-64 * F, do not let temp rise early, or fruity type esters will take over the flavor of the beer.

fowlbrew2, entering any competition can be a boon or a bust. My first entrance was crappy beer with lots of wrong things. As mentioned above, my ego got crushed so I got angry to be honest. If you are openly willing to take whatever is said constructively, ( at first I wasn't) then go for it. I would like to make one suggestion if I could, make the exact same beer the exact same way, unless of course we were doing something "wrong", then fix it first, try again, and then think about it, one more time.
You don't need big fancy equipment to make great beer, but you may need more time. I won a competition using a home made Zapap tun, no pump, no fancy BK with a spout or hardware, and regular stock pots on the stove to heat sparge water in. Yes, it took longer with a lot of "babysitting", but I still made great beer on the cheap. I now have a 30 qt turkey fryer setup and a 40 qt aluminum stock pot for a BK, and no new lauter/sparge tun, or hardware. Would a 10 gal round cooler be nice to have, you bet. How about a small pump for sparging, also nice, but until after tax time, I will do the best i can with what I have. If this sounds like whining, I openly apologize. My point is, if you are creative enough, and, on a budget, you can still make beer you are proud of.

Back