I want to KEG!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuggles

Reaction score
Question - I am making the now famous Apfelwein and, my initial intention was just to prime it up and bottle it when complete. But because I have 4 weeks to wait for the stuff to ferment :cross: I thought, "why not order kegging equipment". The question I have is, where does one store his kegged beer? Do you have a separate refrigerator for it? How long can it stay on tap before drinking it? I am completely new to the idea of kegging - never even seen it done.

I store my kegs in my basement, right next to my bottled beer. As long as you purge the head space with CO2, the beer should last as long as bottles.

Kegging also allows you to force carbonate your beer. I started kegging about a year ago an never looked back.

bnektar said:
I store my kegs in my basement, right next to my bottled beer. As long as you purge the head space with CO2, the beer should last as long as bottles.

Kegging also allows you to force carbonate your beer. I started kegging about a year ago an never looked back.
Thanks for the reply Brad. I live in Florida and because we have limestone as a foundation and we used to be underwater, we don't have basements - wish we did though! So assuming I find a space next to the vacuum cleaner in the hall closet, it can safely sit in there as long as I would like? I mean in reality, beer does not last too long in my house. Also - how do you chill it prior to drinking it? I have a huge garage, but it gets too hot in there to store it there.

Anywhere you store bottled beer is good for a keg and it will be last as short a time as the bottles. Your best bet is a refrigerator, if you don't have a basement. You don't actually have to get a temperature controller or install taps or drip trays or ...

i've read that keep the beer in the low 70's at the highest if you can, to try not to allow the beer to consistently get to mid 70's or above.

aging generally goes faster at higher temperatures, so you should be able to drink the beer sooner, but it will also go past its prime earlier.

also, for serving, it is best to use a fridge of some sort if you can. if not, the next best option is to use a jockey box or something that uses a cold plate. after that would be a bucket with the keg and ice in it with a picnic tap.

also, don't forget to get a co2 tank and regulator!

Back