I want to brew a 70's style Michelob.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greywolf

Reaction score
Back in the day we drank this as our "good" beer. It was a reliable improvment over BMC, stoh's,O's gold and all the others from our best beer store(any corner gas station). As I recall it was smooth and malty with a deep gold color, Since it can't be found I need to brew this for a reunion of the guys. I don't really remember what style of beer they claimed it to be. Does anyone have a starting place to brew this.

I was thinking the same thing cause it's lager season and haven some Michelbobs would be awesome.
Brew Your Own Sept. 2015 has an article "How to Make a Michelob from 1896.
It's an all malt lager with 3 hop additions. I think they had the Willamette hop market sewn up tight back in the 70's.
I'll be repitching S 189.

Here's an interesting read on the Michelob brand.

https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/gned1478/chapter/michelob-2/
Starting out as a pale lager in 1896 (all malt?) and moving to a light lager (w/ corn & rice).

The hop rates would probably have declined as well owing to the desires of the general public.

This would be very similar to producing any light lager. A base of pilsner or pale malt w/ certain percentages of corn and/or rice adjuncts. Light hopping to perhaps 15-20 IBUs. Earlier versions would be all malt with slightly higher IBU ratings 25-30. The BYO article mentioned above would probably be a good start for an early rendition of this beer.

Not sure on hops but they probably would have been Williamette or Cluster maybe late addition Hallertau, Saaz.

The yeast used by the Michelob brand was probably similar or the same as other Busch beers of the time. Wyeast 2007, 2000, 2042 and 2035 would probably be appriopriate.

Not sure if they used amylase enzyme at the time but that would help dry the beer (or gluco-amylase).

For 5 gallons:

8 lbs Pale Ale
.25 lb Flaked Corn
.25 lb Flaked Rice
15-20 IBU of Cluster Hops

Mash 153F for 60min.

Ferment cold w/ 2007 (SNS starter will help)

Lager for a time if desired.

Here's an interesting read on the Michelob brand.

https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/gned1478/chapter/michelob-2/
Starting out as a pale lager in 1896 (all malt?) and moving to a light lager (w/ corn & rice).

The hop rates would probably have declined as well owing to the desires of the general public.

This would be very similar to producing any light lager. A base of pilsner or pale malt w/ certain percentages of corn and/or rice adjuncts. Light hopping to perhaps 15-20 IBUs. Earlier versions would be all malt with slightly higher IBU ratings 25-30. The BYO article mentioned above would probably be a good start for an early rendition of this beer.

Not sure on hops but they probably would have been Williamette or Cluster maybe late addition Hallertau, Saaz.

The yeast used by the Michelob brand was probably similar or the same as other Busch beers of the time. Wyeast 2007, 2000, 2042 and 2035 would probably be appriopriate.

Not sure if they used amylase enzyme at the time but that would help dry the beer (or gluco-amylase).

For 5 gallons:

8 lbs Pale Ale
.25 lb Flaked Corn
.25 lb Flaked Rice
15-20 IBU of Cluster Hops

Mash 153F for 60min.

Ferment cold w/ 2007 (SNS starter will help)

Lager for a time if desired.
That would just about nail it! Might want to consider 6-row as the base malt, or maybe 50%/50% with pilsner. Def Cluster and maybe a little Willamette, Hallertau for a final flavor addition.

Now you got me wanting to brew it. My 60s/70s go-to on those rare occasions when I had jingle in my otherwise empty pockets.

That sounds like a good place to start. I would have suspected some munuch might be in there. It's been a long time to remember the exact taste.

That would just about nail it! Might want to consider 6-row as the base malt, or maybe 50%/50% with pilsner. Def Cluster and maybe a little Willamette, Hallertau for a final flavor addition.

Now you got me wanting to brew it. My 60s/70s go-to on those rare occasions when I had jingle in my otherwise empty pockets.
"Weekends were made for Michalob." Exactly what I bought when there was a little "extra" at the end of the week back in the early-70's. Otherwise, it was Toledo produced Buckeye Beer, that I could get at 99-cents for an 8-pack of stubbies across the state line in Michigan at a grocery called Farmer Jack's.

https://drizly.com/beer/ale/red-ale/michelob-amber-bock/p19878
Smoothness, deep-dark color and a roasted malt taste that finishes clean are the hallmarks of this distinctive beer. Brewed using 100-percent malt—including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops—Michelob AmberBock has a unique, rich amber color and smooth, full-bodied taste. Full bodied with a smooth caramel fullness.

"Weekends were made for Michalob." Exactly what I bought when there was a little "extra" at the end of the week back in the early-70's. Otherwise, it was Toledo produced Buckeye Beer, that I could get at 99-cents for an 8-pack of stubbies across the state line in Michigan at a grocery called Farmer Jack's.

Miller Genuine Draft (MGD) was our "special" beer in Maumee back in the late 70's. Otherwise, a quart of miller if we could con somebody to buy it for us. We used to stand on the side of the convenience store and solicit people to buy us beer (and they did). We'd go sit on a pallet inside a huge culvert pipe, fire up a hibachi grill for warmth (and CO poisoning), and sip our beer. Man, we ran wild back then.

On TV, the lowenbrau commercials wanted you to know it was actually the champagne of beers, with the foil wrapper on the bottle and all. ♫ "Tonight, let it be lowenbrau". ♫

Latest posts

Back