I understand the hot break but boil overs 40 min in???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8er79

Reaction score
I am an all grain brewer that has about 50-60 beers under my belt. I have recently had several boil overs 20 30 even 40 minutes into a boil. What is up with this.

1. Is it particular styles that this is more common with?
  2. Is it too much heat? (my guess cause my home made burner can get hotter than the depts of hell)
  3. I recently have tried fermcap in a couple beers but it is suppose to help avoid this.

I'm curious on theories on this.

I have only had this happen once in 8 years of brewing, 4 years of AG. It was last weekend on the second beer of a double brewday. First beer was a blonde ale. Second beer was a stout.

The wort foamed for the entire 90 minute boil. I had to knock it down with a spray bottle every 10 - 15 minutes.

I only rinsed the BK between brews. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Both beers used American 2-row for the base, which is also not typical for me.

I had this mysterious problem with bigger beers very late in the boil. I finally figured it out. For me it was two issues:

1. My wort was caramelizing. The boil over foam looked a little different on a barleywine I did and I never connected it until I started caramelizing a portion of my runnings in a few beers recently.

2. Scraping the sugars/caramel off the bottom. I noticed sometimes when I stirred that I was hitting the bottom. Something is getting stirred up and creating a boil over or very close to it.

Back