I think my hops are dead???? Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
so i have 3 yr old cascade hops that I got from a very prominent plant and they’ve been in large pots since I got em. Every year like clockwork they wake up in the spring and begin sprouting until this year and there’s no sign of life. One plant was def stronger than the other after our puppy dug up both plants, one seemed to recover fine the other not so much but otherwise I can’t think of why I see no action. I’m pretty much hands off with em as far as maintenance because they thrive so well on their own. Any ideas what happened here and odds they’ll come back. I’ve added some manure and new fortified planting soil to add some nutrition but so far no action, thought maybe it was our insanely cool climate here in Michigan but even in yrs past once April hits no matter the temp they seem to come alive.

Well... just dig gently with your hand near the crown if you want to be sure. In the worst case, you will break one or two bines that are still in the ground, which is not enough to kill a 3 years old plant. :)

Here, near Montreal in Canada, I would say 95 % of my hops plants seems to be stuck...not growing... in wait mode for warmer temperatures. I have moved to a new location an healthy Zeus rhizome 2 or 3 weeks ago, there was a lot of small underground white bines. They have not break ground yet. Some plants have 2 or 3 inches long bines out of the ground and they have been that way for the past 2 weeks, which is not normal for hops in the spring. They usually explode and grow like crazy. Night temperature have been around a fridge temperature.

Back