I think my batch is a goner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volktc

Reaction score
The batch is a brewferm abrosia. It has been fermenting for 10 days. No activity up to this point has been seen in the airlock. OG was not measured, but according to brewferm after 10 days SG should be 1.01. Thursday it was 1.03 and today (Saturday) it was still 1.03 which I think means fermentation has A) stopped early even though it has been at the same temperature or B)I pitched the yeast to hot and fermentation never occured.

As some of you may have read I got a face full of C02 for the first time the other day off of this batch and still haven't quite recovered a few nose hairs, but today it just smells gamey. I work in a hospital so gamey to me is necrotic cheese ulcers that weep. What do you guys think? I don't want to dump it, but I don't want to hold up my only primary for a lost cause.

taste it. if it tastes fine and the gravity is still high try pitching some more yeast.

Taste it, now if it taste like necrotic cheese ulcers :cross: then dump it. *As a tear rolls down face just thinking of a dumped batch of homebrew :(*

Post recipe, so that we can figure what the OG should have been. That way we will know if there is alcohol protecting it or not.

What yeast? What temp are you fermenting it at. Is it on a cold floor. If it is too cold, the yeast can go dormant and stop part way thru. Warming it up again will start it off again.

If you want help, need to provide as much detail as you can.

Taste the beer first and as long as it doesn't taste like a hot dumpster, keep it going. As Calder mentioned, if the temperature is too low, bringing it up a few degrees could help. It also might not be a bad idea to rouse the yeast a little bit by gently swirling the carboy/bucket to try and kick some of those yeast back into suspension.

At what temperature did you pitch your yeast? Too hot and you might have killed it. Trying to ferment at too low a temp might have the yeast taking a nap.

More info needed.

I'll taste when I get home and try to give it a stir if it doesn't turn my gills inside out. Also I started fermentation in a room at 64 degrees, but thinking the yeast may have stopped early I moved it to a warmer room at 72 degrees. I could still pitch more yeast after 10 days of sitting in the fermentor.

also the recipe if you can call it that was one can of brewferm abrosia extract, the yeast it came with and water. no dme or lme added

Most of the Brewferm kits i have seen on the net require additional extract. If you didn't add any extract, then it is possible the OG is 1.030 i would imagine. I also wonder about the viability of the yeast that came with the kit. I have read that some of those kits have old yeast, so that may be your problem. Hope you don't have to dump it! Good luck.

hmm looks like my LHBS let me astray. I'd made a few batches before and always used DME and I was told brewferm doesn't require it

also the recipe if you can call it that was one can of brewferm abrosia extract, the yeast it came with and water. no dme or lme added

Tried looking it up. Found Ambiorix, and Framboise. Both are 1.5 KG (3.3 lbs) cans of extract and require additional sugar. They are designed to make 3 gallons. Assuming you made 3 gallons, your OG would have been 1.040 from the extract.

You could have fermented it without additional sugar.

I suspect the yeast was dead, and you didn't ferment at all. The reason you are getting 1.030 reading may be due to some of the sugars settling at the bottom and not fully mixed.

10 days, no activity, and smelling foul. I wouldn't taste it. I'd dump it and bleach everything.

Latest posts

Back