I think I'm OK, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetonmtnbiker

Reaction score
I found this forum today and read through some threads that have helped a lot. I am making a Fat Tire clone from "Beer Revealed" as my first batch. Everything went smooth, for the most part, while I was making the wort. I pitched the yeast after I found my OG of 1.048 and felt pretty good (finished at about 9pm sat). The following morning fermenting was already happening at about 30 bubbles per minute from my airlock. The krausening had already started to form. The next morning fermenting was still moving right along, but by the time I returned home at 6pm it had slowed drastically, and had stopped by 9pm (48 hrs after I pitched the yeast). I thought i was toast.

Today after reading several posts from people with similar fears I felt better after reading a lot of the responses.

I measured the specific gravity of the brew when I got home and it's sitting at 1.014 (final gravity in the recipe is expected to be between 1.010 and 1.013). the top is already starting to clear.

I did not areate the wort before I pitched the yeast. I live at 6300 feet (I don't know if that is relavant).

Do you think I may have a stuck fermentation or do think I'm in good shape?

Thanks,
Jeff

By the way, it's awesome that you guys help us newbies. We appreciate it!

No, you're in good shape. Give it a couple weeks in secondary, and it'll be good to go!

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, it will probably shave another point or two in the long run, so I'd say you're right on target :) Just remember to aerate next time - esp if it's a beer of high OG. Cheers !

Back