I think I'm infected...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuknkrvl

Reaction score
Guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, but I went to take a peak at my dry Irish stout (which I was planning to bottle on Friday, by the by), and there was this slick white film across the top. This is only my tenth batch and my first time doing this style, so maybe all is okay, but I thought I'd get a second opinion. Thoughts?

View attachment 1436402747308.jpg

View attachment 1436402761058.jpg

View attachment 1436402773265.jpg

View attachment 1436402783135.jpg

View attachment 1436402790790.jpg

I don't see dusty bubbles (what a great stripper name that would be, eh?) so it's difficult to say right now.

What was your recipe? Anything that might give off a waxy haze in it?

Is it white or oily looking (sorry, really can't tell from the photos)?
If it oily, do you use star San?

It was a kit from Northern Brewer. Maris otter, flaked barley, English roasted barley. I screwed up the mash, got it way too hot and may have knackered the enzymes. Could that be the cause? Also, bear in mind I haven't popped open the air lock for a taste yet.

It's kind of hard to say at this point. Pop the airlock off for a minute and see if it smells funky.

Not much in the way of krausen there. Is this a beer you moved to a secondary and left a whole lot of headspace.

Oxygen exposure can do bad things from a flavor standpoint and can also promote bacterial growth.

I've not seen that kind of white looking waxy stuff before but normal beers have a wide array of appearances.

Smell it taste it, if ok, package it up. If it smells/tastes foul then you know it's an infection. Dump.

I don't see anything wrong with it from the photos provided. Keep in mind that there are very few bugs that can grow on a beer that would harm you. Granted, some taste pretty nasty. I don't see any pellicle forming yet and the oily residue could be from either starsan or hops.

I would say you're okay here, but the bottom line is if it smells or tastes funky...it probably is. I had a coffee stout that I screwed up and got a lacto infection. I went ahead and bottled it up and regrettably drank it young. I was surprised that I didn't really mind the faint sourness.

Yep. Looks like spyware. Pop ups and redirects out the yin-yang.

Also, that cough and dry throat sounds like strep. Better get that checked out.

Beer looks fine, though.

Latest posts

Back