I think I overcarbed my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osborne

Reaction score
Ive had it carbing for around two days at 30 psi. And dropped it down to 12 psi and tried to serve at 37 degrees ( at least my temp controller says 37). But when I turn the co2 off and vent a little bit I get perfect pours with a creamy one inch head.

Just turn it down to 8 psi or so and vent off excess pressure and you should be fine. You can always drop it a bit lower and vent off a few times and to low the carb if needed.

Just turn it down to 8 psi or so and vent off excess pressure and you should be fine. You can always drop it a bit lower and vent off a few times and to low the carb if needed.

Okay, I had the co2 turned off right now, and vented a few times he last couple hours. Later tonight I'll go down and turn it back to 8 .

It just doesn't taste over-carbonated I don't know...

I went ahead and vented again and put it on 8 PSI it seemed to help still a lot of head/foam though making up about half the glass, I think I'm pouring wrong? I'm using a picnic tap and barely pressing down, but it seemed less foam came out when I pressed down fully on the picnic tap to pour, but it just poured so hard resulting in foam still....

I went ahead and vented again and put it on 8 PSI it seemed to help still a lot of head/foam though making up about half the glass, I think I'm pouring wrong? I'm using a picnic tap and barely pressing down, but it seemed less foam came out when I pressed down fully on the picnic tap to pour, but it just poured so hard resulting in foam still....

Press fully, as if you press little it's like what happens when you pinch a garden hose.

Open the tap completely.

If you're getting lots of foam, I suspect your lines are very short, but if you change that to 10-12' of beer line, that will be corrected.

Press fully, as if you press little it's like what happens when you pinch a garden hose.

Open the tap completely.

If you're getting lots of foam, I suspect your lines are very short, but if you change that to 10-12' of beer line, that will be corrected.

Will do I'm starting to think pressing it just a little is my problem... I'll try tomorrow. :mug: I also switched to a 10' line this evening.

You should only have to vent once- now that the pressure in your keg is down, it should stay there as long as that's where you regulator is set. I'm with yooper- longer lines and opening the tap fully should get you there!

You should only have to vent once- now that the pressure in your keg is down, it should stay there as long as that's where you regulator is set. I'm with yooper- longer lines and opening the tap fully should get you there!

Yup opening it fully solved all my problems!

Thanks you guys!

Ive seen this issue a bunch at brew fests. Ive seen people slightly open the tap and all they pour is foam. Its all or nothing.

Glad it's resolved

Back