I think I may switch back to Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philosofool

Reaction score
I've been using StarSan for years. Before that, I use used Iodophor for years. I never had a single problem with beer as a result of either.

So, since Iodophor costs less, I'm thinking about getting a bottle to see if it's time to go back. I hear people talk about storing starsan, but that never seems to happen for me (not enough space.)

I use Starsan for anything non glass as glass becomes extremely slippery. I use Iodophor for all glass applications. Iodophor will also stain everything plastic and or porous. It won't render the discolored object any less effective. Iodine isn't very environmentally friendly and technically requires special disposal instructions to be carried out. While both Iodophor and StarSan are diluted to a no-rinse concentration, it is my understanding that iodine can impart flavor to your beer. So I guess it depends on how tight your process is.

I've used both. Started with iodophor and switch to star San for one bottle and went back to iodophor. It's more cost effective and when diliuted properly doesn't leave any off flavors. I dilute mine for no rinse in a 1 quart spray bottle. I find a ratio of 1.5 ml to 1 quart of water to be perfect.

i have used Iodophor since day one because of the price.

No issues except for the staining. I just make sure not to let the Iodophor sit very long in plastic. No issues.

I've been using StarSan for years. Before that, I use used Iodophor for years. I never had a single problem with beer as a result of either.

So, since Iodophor costs less, I'm thinking about getting a bottle to see if it's time to go back. I hear people talk about storing starsan, but that never seems to happen for me (not enough space.)

$6 difference on a 32oz bottle, and you prefer Iodophor, that doesn't last past brewday? You can store Starsan in a small bucket, milk jugs, etc. and fill a spray bottle with it, that can last weeks between sessions. Makes little sense to go "back."

$6 difference on a 32oz bottle, and you prefer Iodophor, that doesn't last past brewday? You can store Starsan in a small bucket, milk jugs, etc. and fill a spray bottle with it, that can last weeks between sessions. Makes little sense to go "back."

I have stored iodophor for months before. Never had a problem. But it really just comes down to personal preference.

I've used both. Started with iodophor and switch to star San for one bottle and went back to iodophor. It's more cost effective and when diliuted properly doesn't leave any off flavors. I dilute mine for no rinse in a 1 quart spray bottle. I find a ratio of 1.5 ml to 1 quart of water to be perfect.

Star San in concentrated form costs about $1 per ounce. You can make 5 gallons of working solution with one ounce. I typically make a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff and around every 3 months or so I need to make a new batch, due to the bucket volume being rather low and there being some particulates in the bottom. That's a total of $4 a year.

Io Star costs about 63 cents an ounce and should be made fresh every time, so you really can't re-use a bucket of it like you can with Star San. I don't know if you're actually saving any money with the iodophor stuff. If you are, you're really not saving much.

Star San in concentrated form costs about $1 per ounce. You can make 5 gallons of working solution with one ounce. I typically make a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff and around every 3 months or so I need to make a new batch, due to the bucket volume being rather low and there being some particulates in the bottom. That's a total of $4 a year.

Io Star costs about 63 cents an ounce and should be made fresh every time, so you really can't re-use a bucket of it like you can with Star San. I don't know if you're actually saving any money with the iodophor stuff. If you are, you're really not saving much.

I didn't so much switch back because of cost. Just that I was used to using it and get stuck in my ways. I usually only mix it about a quart at a time so I'm not worried about it.

I don't know about cost compared to Iodaphor, but after 4 years I am still on my original bottle of Starsan. 16 oz. 78 batches brewed. I still have about 1/5 the bottle left. Current price is about $18. I am sure I paid less.

So less than $4.50 per year!?!?!?!?! And maybe a years supply remaining. Maybe less than $3.60 per year before it's gone.

Iodine stains. It can leave taste in the wort.

I will stick with Starsan.......

I don't know about cost compared to Iodaphor, but after 4 years I am still on my original bottle of Starsan. 16 oz. 78 batches brewed. I still have about 1/5 the bottle left. Current price is about $18. I am sure I paid less.

So less than $4.50 per year!?!?!?!?! And maybe a years supply remaining. Maybe less than $3.60 per year before it's gone.

Iodine stains. It can leave taste in the wort.

I will stick with Starsan.......

Yeah I wouldn't really consider cost a factor as they aren't that different in price but I just started with iodophor and have been using it for forever so it just what I am used to.

If someone is worried about getting their money's worth I would say stick with starsan as its more shelf stable when mixed. Otherwise I just stick with it because I like it and it also doubles for doing an iodine test am to check that the mash is completed.

I use 1/4 ounce of Star-San in 3 quarts of water (use a 3-quart jug for mixing it up in.) That's a somewhat stronger dilution than recommended.

When I mix with RO water (Which I always have since I brew with RO water.) I can keep those 3 quarts for months.

I mostly use it to op off a spray bottle, which I use on bottles, tubing, buckets, etc. I will pour some from the jug if I want to coat the inside of a keg or something where the spray bottle is less convenient.

I've used 2 of the medium-sized bottles of Star-San in several years. Actually, I'm still using the second bottle. It's about half full.

I just tried Iodaphor because I needed to sanitize my brew jacket and cant use starsan.

Unless i am forced, i wont ever use it again. The darn staining is crazy and maybe i am messy, but I could not keep it off something, my fingers, the counter, etc.

For what I use for one 5 gallon batch, what am I saving maybe .50

I just tried Iodaphor because I needed to sanitize my brew jacket and cant use starsan.

Unless i am forced, i wont ever use it again. The darn staining is crazy and maybe i am messy, but I could not keep it off something, my fingers, the counter, etc.

Probably a lot less than that.

I get Star San all over my basement when I brew, so if I used Io Star or Iodophor my basement would look horrible. Or at least my towels and clothes would.

I think you guys have convinced me that I need to put a little energy into saving StarSan. The trick is that I don't have a ton of space, but I think this is a call for imagination.

Thanks. Sticking w/ StarSan.

Empty Kegs or 1 gallon bottles is where I store my StarSan. There empty and taking up space so why not use them.

I've never had a problem with staining. Once it is mixed I can use it on anything and it doesn't stain. Perhaps you are mixing a little strong?

Back