I think I found a cooler - which thermometer should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
I think I found a good cooler to use for my mash tun on amazon. Is 36 quarts/9 gallons enough to accommodate enough grain to make a double IPA or Belgian style dubble/triple? The cooler is a little pricey, but I would rather spend an extra 20 bucks and know that my temps are holding steady. I am using a SS cooler conversion kit and screen from Northern Brewer.

Speaking of temps, can anyone suggest a good thermometer for me to use? I have a digital one now but it gives a very slow read and I question the accuracy of it. I saw mention of a thermapen, but those are close to $100. I wonder if something less expensive will suit my need?

What have the experienced AG brewers used to get accurate mash/water temps?

BTW, am planning on making Ed Wort's Haus Pale my first All grain attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the digital meat thermometers from big box stores. Out of 5 I've bought, 4 have been spot on for both freezing and boiling (the 5th was 2 degrees off.)

The only warning I have for those is the probes are non-submersible, so be careful not to let the entire probe get under water. I managed to ruin my first two doing that.

Now I just take some aquarium silicone and fill in the gap around the wire heading into the probe to keep out condensation and I'm careful not to let back end of the probe get under water.

I have the same cooler. It's perfectly fine for most brews...the biggest grain bill I've used has been 15 lbs. Honestly, if I had to do it again, I'd have bought the bigger Xtreme cooler to accomodate bigger grain bills and 10 gallon batches. Check out the 62 quart Xtreme. It's actually cheaper than the 36.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G68GP4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have the same cooler. It's perfectly fine for most brews...the biggest grain bill I've used has been 15 lbs. Honestly, if I had to do it again, I'd have bought the bigger Xtreme cooler to accomodate bigger grain bills and 10 gallon batches. Check out the 62 quart Xtreme. It's actually cheaper than the 36.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G68GP4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Great thanks! looks like there is a sale going on. One quick question, If I am doing a 5 gallon batch with around 10 pounds of grain, will the bigger cooler lose heat due to the extra space? Or maybe this can be solved by pre-heating the cooler?

After ruining my meat thermometer, I found this thermometer:
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9121045. Rapid and accuate to 0.1 degrees. It comes with a probe, but for using it in wet environments (measuring strike water, mash, and wort temps), I added this thermocouple: http://thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_wire.html. Scroll down to the "PTFE/FEP Tip Probes"; model 113-372-T.

I like that you can switch out the thermocouple and use the same instrument in the kitchen.

Great thanks! looks like there is a sale going on. One quick question, If I am doing a 5 gallon batch with around 10 pounds of grain, will the bigger cooler lose heat due to the extra space? Or maybe this can be solved by pre-heating the cooler?

The best way to tell is to heat up 3 or 4 gallons of water to 175ish, pour it in the cooler, and check the temp at 5, 30, and 60 minutes. My Xtreme 36qt holds temps to within 1 degree or less. I also rely on the calibrations I entered into BeerTools Pro. It made preheating the tun obsolete!

Check out Walmart on the 62 quart coleman extreme. 36 bucks. Not a bad deal for a mash tun.

Thank you for the replies.

Has anyone ever used something like this to monitor their water/mash temps?

That will work, but the probe is very sensitive to moisture, which can throw off your numbers and eventualy kill the probe. I have that exact model, but I just use it for meat.

Went with the 62 qt coleman extreme and went pretty basic on the thermometer.

Hopefully first all grain will be next weekend. Ed Wort's Haus Pale.

That will work, but the probe is very sensitive to moisture, which can throw off your numbers and eventualy kill the probe. I have that exact model, but I just use it for meat.

I can second this. I went through probably 4 similar ones before finally going analog. I drilled a hole through the lid of the coleman xtreame (through one of the cup holders) so the thermo just sits in there during the mash.

I use a wireless version made for Weber for BBQ'in. I just drilled a tiny hole through the side of the cooler and forced the probe through. I remove it and replace it for each brew session. (works great, no leaks after 15+ batches). I can eat breakfast and monitor my mash temps @ the same time. :)

I have one very similar to that; I straightened the probe with pliars (re-tested the accuracy after bending, no effect, whew!) and stick it through a thick piece of styrofoam that floats on the mash. Works like a charm, no worries about it submersing!

Back