I still want to brew, but I am at capacity!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I like to brew at least every week and I do ten gallon batches. Currently I have 30 gallons sitting in fermenters, two beers on tap and 20 five gallon kegs full aging away blissfully. I have no fermenter space and also no keg space left.

I am not sure if I should be happy or sad! I really want to brew more, but not sure where to put the beer.

time for a massive party?

Massive Party
Fill Some Growlers For Family

or find something else brewing related to work on.
Building a yeast bank is quite satisfying

Home made Sauerkruat is another fermentation adventure

Wish you were closer you could help me out. I have 3 empty kegs and 4 empty carboys...having a hard time brewing right now because I'm building a new stand and upgrading to 10 gallon batches....at least I have 3 kegs to hold me over (hopefully)

I say bottle some of the oldest stuff (Prob have less to bottle that way) and age them, this is basically what I do. Right now I have 2 beers on tap and well over 20 different kinds in bottles of various ages. Labeling has become mandatory for me...lol.

I would have a party and then make a yeast bank to keep busy... possibly work on a new stand see what can be upgraded but I am guessing you have enough brew to last a few days.

Pick up another hobby to fill your spare time.

Kid and I made homemade soap with Olive Oil and Lye this Saturday.

Planning on doing cheddar cheese soon.

Going to buy a small box to place a temp controller in for Sous Vide cooking.

There are numerous options out there and the cheese and cooking hobby would pair nicely with a heavy brewing obsession.

Sauerkraut making.......that sounds tasty. I am going to research that right now.
Cheese Making
Soap making

it all sounds good

I have no problem with other hobbies.....I am a tournament fisherman as well, during the winter I just have so much time.

I am working on a stir plate, so I suppose I could finish that.

Print some flyers that say "free beer" and your address, throw them from the tallest building in town...

Problem solved.

It's fun until you have to clean 20 kegs, which is what I'm going to have to do in a month or so. I guess I shouldn't let the empties pile up without cleaning...

Every carboy and keg I have is full -- picked up about a dozen 1 gallon glass containers for $5 -- try SMaSH or experimental brews?

Go down to skid row and give out beer to the homeless. That sounds satisfying. Or bring a couple kegs to a VFW and give out beer to some veterans.

I have the same problem. Right now, we have 19 kegs full and another 10 gallons in primary. Next weekend, we will be taking all of the kegs that are < 1/2 full and transferring the contents to bottles using the beer gun. The bottles can then be given away/stored for competition/drank at your own pace.

Throw a party or send out an email explaining your "dire" situation to all your local friends and family. Set up a time for growler fills. Nobody is going to pass up free beer.

permo said:
I like to brew at least every week and I do ten gallon batches. Currently I have 30 gallons sitting in fermenters, two beers on tap and 20 five gallon kegs full aging away blissfully. I have no fermenter space and also no keg space left.

I am not sure if I should be happy or sad! I really want to brew more, but not sure where to put the beer.

Do you drink? You mentioned beers fermenting and beers in kegs but is anything tapped? Are you drinkng anything? How many taps do you serve from simultaneously? If I had 100 gallons kegged, I wouldn't need to brew for two years.

I'm a fisherman too, I can totally understand. Spring is just around the corner! Sounds like you have beer for the year, bravo!

Get a friend interested in brewing and start splitting batches with them. You get some help on brewday and get to brew more often.

There are only 3 solutions in my book:

1) Decrease capacity. (nobody wants that)
2) Increase Consumption (why not)
3) Increase holding capacity (but that only means you STORE more).

So, #2 is the only solution.

MC

I was going to say "3 pages and no one mentioned you need to drink more???", but of course, it was another canuck who beat me to it.

:mug:

We need pictures, we need to see this operation. ;)

I've got 7 kegs (3 with Beer in them of which 2 are tapped and one is carbonating and aging). I have 4 Fermenters, only one with Beer in it. I did (3) 5 gallon batches in February. Will brew again in a week or two. I have the capacity to have 5 or 6 kegs in my primary Kegerator with 4 taps (Converted Fridge). I have a True TDD-1 which can fit 4 kegs with one on tap that I use for Crab Parties in the summer as I can wheel it out onto the patio or for house parties where I want something else on tap.

I'm just beginning to get my pipeline filled. My goal is to have a couple regular brews on tap (an APA and Wit) , a couple of specialty seasonals, . Have some long term project beer aging in a keg or two.

I like the idea of a Yeast Bank.

I have a brewbuddy already. I brew ten gallon batches, my father in law gets half of every batch. I may have to switch to some more experimental five gallon batches of stronger beers to bottle and age for a bit.

I do drink plenty, probably too much. I have two beers on tap as does my father in law. I try to empty kegs so I can put on the next beer, but I have to maintain a job and be a father...can't be drunk 24/7!

I guess this is a good problem to have, and I shouldn't be complaining. But I feel if I am not brewing I am falling behind.

20 kegs and only 2 taps? I found your problem.

Build a bigger kegerator and buy more kegs. Then invite some people over!

Then you need to build something like this:
METRO-M-24PSSKR.jpg

I like a good pipeline as much as the next guy, but damn..

THIS! :drunk: 20, 5 gallon kegs of beer just aging? By my calculations that's 100 gallons! What do you do with it all? If you are not selling it, do you just have parties every night? lol :p

Brew and dump. Repeat. You don't do this for the beer, do you?

i do it for the beer, but I really enjoy the recipe formulation and seeing what different ingredients and changes in process do to the final product.

I make great beer and I drink far to much. I have no plans to stop brewing, bu may have to go to once a month....:mad:

i do it for the beer, but I really enjoy the recipe formulation and seeing what different ingredients and changes in process do to the final product.

I make great beer and I drink far to much. I have no plans to stop brewing, bu may have to go to once a month....:mad:

"Free growler refills" to your friends. I do that all the time when I've got overage. Only takes 10 growlers to kill a corny :D

MC

"Free growler refills" to your friends. I do that all the time when I've got overage. Only takes 10 growlers to kill a corny :D

MC

I do the same when I want to get something new on tap and need to make space. Goodwill with my friends and coworkers, I've got people bringing me commercial beers (good ones) cuz they know I'll remember them when it comes time to decide who gets the next growler I fill. :ban:

Back