I should of came here first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnt

Reaction score
Used powdered sugar in my first batch ever, tried to read up on the consequences of doing so on here and all I could learn was not to use it (too late).
With time will my batch be ok?
Is there anyway to correct the situation?

When did you use it? Powered sugar is normally mixed with cornstarch, wheat flour, or calcium phosphate.

I can't see anything really hideous happening.

The only problem I would imagine having after using powdered sugar (we really have to know WHEN you used the powdered sugar, boil, primary, secondary, bottling) is it'll likely thin out your beer while upping your ABV a little. How much did you use? What was your reasoning behind using it?

Powdered sugar is just cane sugar that has been really finely ground (with a little bit of cornstarch in there too) so your beer will still be beer.

Well, using sugar in your first beer is not uncommon. Some people use sugar after years of experience for good reason. The fact is, sometimes you need it.

Most people starting out use it because the instructions say to add it. Most people would be better off using 2 cans of extract instead of adding sugar.

That said, powdered sugar has cornstarch in it, which will likely make your beer a bit cloudy. I don't see any reason to freak out about it. lots of beer styles are cloudy.

Chalk it up to experience and enjoy the beer for what it is. It's probably going to taste fine.

First of all thanks for your feedback, it really puts me at ease.
I used the sugar during the boil with a can of coopers draught, I put around 6.5 ounces in.
I searched youtube until I found the easiest possible recipe in which he refered to his dextrose as a "very fine icing sugar". Since I couldnt find anything labeled dextrose or corn sugar (I had learned from a noob book) I went with the powder sugar.
-Thanks

Welcome to HBT!
As you might have learned, there are only a couple good how to videos on youtube and most of those are made by one of our members. I suspect you might have watched one of the bad ones.

We have much better information but with what you did, you will still have made beer and you will probably like it because you made it.

Your assignment for your next batch is to check here if you have any how to questions and ask them before you do it. ;)

Yeah, your beer will be fine. Maybe you can get by your LHBS or Whole Earth Foods and pick up some dextrose before you need it for priming. Luck - Dwain

Latest posts

Back