I scored a Vissani 52-Bottle Wine Cooler (I think)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Got home from HD with one of these

f1fddbbd-ba2b-4e76-b973-42a172a10f72_300.jpg

It's a little beat up (floor model) but I want to build a light wood coffin to cover it. Install a tower (I might make an insulated one out of wood).

Do any of you have this model?

I have read some not so great reviews but I got it for a hundred bucks.

I have it on now and going to see how well it cools for the next couple of days.

Is there a compressor or is it a peltier model? The Peltier model I have (different brand) would only cool to about 57 until I cut the wires to the thermostat knob and used an external controller - I was able to get a gallon of water cooled to 40F before I turned it off. Mine was only a 12 bottle unit so that was the biggest jug I could fit.

Interesting, Mine cools to 40 on the botton but it's warmer on top. by the thermostat. It's has a compressor simiar to those found in mini fridges. I'm not sure if it actually has a real thermostat though. I don't need it that cold but I'm concerned that the area with the tubing will be warm when the beer go through creating unnecessary foam.

I just picked up this cooler yesterday. It doesn't seem to have any trouble getting temp down to 45*, haven't put any beer in it yet. I plan to cut a sheet of insulation to cover the front door so that it holds temp better and doesn't let any light in.

so far I'm happy. You have to make sure you don't keep it at the highest setting for more than 8 hours as per the manuals.

I got it at 38 with the 6 setting. Now to get the rest of the parts.

My problem is that it makes a popping sound which according to the manuals is normal. Also the temp between the bottom of the fridge and the top is like 10 degrees. And furthermore it's sensitive to opening and closing of door as well as outside temp fluctuation.

I use one for my fermentation chamber. I bypassed the factory thermostat and wired in a Johnson controller. I haven had any problems with mine and it'll hold 38 degrees for weeks when I Lager.

image-1675481708.jpg

This thing is not cold enough. How can I make it colder?

If I cant use it for a kegerator I will see if it'll hold a carboy and use it as a fermentation chamber. Either way I probably have to bypass the thermometer don't I?

I use one for my fermentation chamber. I bypassed the factory thermostat and wired in a Johnson controller. I haven had any problems with mine and it'll hold 38 degrees for weeks when I Lager.

How much space is there in front of the compressor bump? All my carboys are 6.5 gallon Big Mouth Bubblers which have a diameter of 12 3/8". All I need is room for one at a time but I'm having a really hard time finding any non full sized fridge to use as a fermentation chamber. Last resort is a chest freezer but if this one works, I will try to find one.

How much space is there in front of the compressor bump? All my carboys are 6.5 gallon Big Mouth Bubblers which have a diameter of 12 3/8". All I need is room for one at a time but I'm having a really hard time finding any non full sized fridge to use as a fermentation chamber. Last resort is a chest freezer but if this one works, I will try to find one.

I use two of these for 6.5 standard carboys. Hopefully that helps.

They are 12.5 inches deep. It should fit but it'll be tight. The only bad thing after two years of experience with this. The temperature will only go down to mid 40's. It's lost some cooling abilities but still cold enough to ferment my lagers. I have to use a full size fridge as my lager chamber now. But it still works great for fermentation fridge.

The only purpose for this fridge is to safely ferment my brews, so I don't need it that cold. I just found one for $129 on CL. Will go down to $100 and see what happens.

How did you wire it in? I have the exact same wine fridge. Did you wire it directly to the fridge or wire in some plugs? Thanks!

My problem is that it makes a popping sound which according to the manuals is normal. Also the temp between the bottom of the fridge and the top is like 10 degrees. And furthermore it's sensitive to opening and closing of door as well as outside temp fluctuation.

You will most likely need to add insulation, but not over the compressor vents. A computer fan will help keep an even temperature top to bottom.

@afd1992, if memory serves me correct, thermostat power was red and the compressor switch leg was brown. I wired those together so the factory thermostat was bypassed. I then drilled a small hole the back of the hump to feed the Johnson controller power cable out of the fridge. Then just plugged the factory power wire into the Johnson controller. If you not familiar with electrical please get some assistance. There was a wiring diagram on the back of my fridge so that's what I went off of. You wire color may differ from mine. Hope this helped.

Back