I ruined or not?? High temperature!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erol

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a fear and I need a relief . I have a fermenter cooler but It did not work for 7 hours. I left fermenter at 70f and I found it at 84f when I came home. What do you think? It is going to be OK? or not??

Thanks

How far along in fermentation are you?
If you're right in the first few days, you could have some fusels and off flavors. If you're more than 4 or 5 days, you should be OK. It's not ideal, of course, but you'll still have beer no matter what.

It all depends on the yeast that you used. But more likely than not, you may have some off flavors. But since it was the first few hours it could be salvageable because that is the time the yeast is most active, on start-up.

Some yeasts tend to handle the higher temp better than others. I have had this happen and what I was left with had a slight taste of garden hose at the end. But take it through to completion. You will be surprised the magic that carbonation and time work.

It all depends on the yeast that you used. But more likely than not, you may have some off flavors. But since it was the first few hours it could be salvageable because that is the time the yeast is most active, on start-up.

Some yeasts tend to handle the higher temp better than others. I have had this happen and what I was left with had a slight taste of garden hose at the end. But take it through to completion. You will be surprised the magic that carbonation and time work.

I used the American ale II. I believe it is just 4-5 hours that the fermenter was between 72f and 84f.

What yeast did you use and what type of beer? Realistically your probably going to have some off flavors regardless but if you used something more high temp friendly like US-05 you will be much better off than if you used something not high temp friendly like nottingham.

I think you should be fine, you may have some undertones of off flavors. But I suggest over carbonating to compensate for the off flavor. The carbonation is a bit more acidic, and from a bar tending perspective it cleans the palate, so it doesn't let the off flavors linger.

I think you should be fine, you may have some undertones of off flavors. But I suggest over carbonating to compensate for the off flavor. The carbonation is a bit more acidic, and from a bar tending perspective it cleans the palate, so it doesn't let the off flavors linger.

Thanks for the advise. We will see how it turns out. I hope it will be fine.

Back