I realized I left my flaked oats out of my mash after mashout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
I am in the middle of brewing a American Stout. I just finished my mash out and was getting ready to pull the grain bag. I looked over at my counter and saw that I had left out the flaked oats. I wanted them in to add body and add some head retention. Knowing that the mash out at 168F disabled any enzymes left in mash needed to extract from the oats, here is what I did.

I added the 13 oz of flaked oats and an additional 4 ounces of quick oats. I then lowered the mash back down to 150F. I added a teaspoon of Amylase enzyme (lucky I recently bought some) and let the oats and grains mash for an additional 45 minutes. Total mash about 2 hours.

What do you think, did it do any good? I won't really know for weeks.

That should have worked fine. Maybe got some extra conversion from the main batch too.

I would have done a mini mash on the side with a pound of 2-row or so, while boiling the batch. Then add that wort with 10' left in the boil.

Thanks for the comments.

As I said, I won't really know until the beer is finished and carbonated to see if it got me what I wanted.

I had thought about a mini-mash while contemplating what to do, but that would have meant digging out the mill and grain, which I had already put away. I figured it would be a good way to test the Amylase too. I bought it to use with some corn grits in an American lager next brew to augment during conversion. I was curious.

I did hit all my numbers and even the OG was dead on what BeerSmith predicted.

I pitched a quart starter of some Voss Kveik (although I found out 10 minutes after starting it that I really didn't need a starter with Voss Kveik) I started at @ 75f. It had an inch kreusan in 12 hours. I raised the temp to 80f and after 36 hours the gravity has gone from 1.066 to 1.033. We will see how much further it reduces and if it is malty or dry.

From my experiences brewing with oats, they add neither body nor head retention so you would've been fine leaving them out.

You will have gotten gravity points out of them though.

- Artichoke.

From my experiences brewing with oats, they add neither body nor head retention so you would've been fine leaving them out.

- Artichoke.
huh? might have to disagree with you on that. Whenever i utilize a recipe with flaked oats vs no flaked oats, the body is very noticeable. Yeah maybe if we're talking like 3% of the grain bill being FO that wouldnt make much of a difference. But 10% and its very noticeable

- Artichoke.

That's what I was going to say! Oats give a marvelous silky almost oily mouthfeel, but I get no body from them or head retention at all. In fact, the opposite. So I add flaked barley to my oatmeal stout to get body and head retention, and oats for the silky luscious mouthfeel and texture.

Back