I re-started my fermentation and it just keeps going!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
It has been two weeks since I brewed my last batch. It was an IPA w/SG of 1.07, and I pitched a starter of a fresh vial of wlp001. It started up w/in a few hours like usual, and the airlock eventually stopped bubbling on the 3rd day as usual. I took a reading on day 8 and it was at 1.012, and I really want to hit a little lower, so for the first time ever, I sanitized my big SS spoon and ever-so-gently stirred the yeast back up into the brew. It started bubbling again and kept bubbling every 5-10 seconds for the first two days. Now its been 6 days since I stirred up that yeast and its STILL bubbling! About once every 30-45 minutes. I was going to take a reading tomorrow on day 15, but should I just wait until it has definitely stopped bubbling?

I'm very interested in what's going on, because I have never seen this before, or heard of it!

Wort will off gas over time after fermentation is done.
What you did when you stirred it up was help to off gas even more.
This is the pressure you are seeing in the airlock, take your second reading im sure its not going to be as low as you think. Possibly .010

It is just off gassing. The only way to tell if it is done is to get a gravity reading.

Is this one done yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back