I pitched the wrong yeast. What can I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh_Papi

Reaction score
I had a big couple of days planned to brew three 6 gal batches of beer because I will be working away from home for 4 months and plan to have all of them condition in primary until I get home in October. I also made my first yeast starter. Whoo hoooo. This was for my first batch, a saison du mond with coriander and sweet orange peel. Everything went well, I pitched the yeast. And an hour later I realized I pitched wy 1450 instead of wy 3724. Egad!

So instead of putting the fermenter in the garage in the sweltering heat of coastal Alabama, which I think the 3724 would enjoy, I must bring it inside the house.

So my question is...have I created a monster? What can I expect of this bastard saison? I am really pissed at myself because I squandered this opportunity to brew a nice saison.

Do your best to control the fermentation temperature in the range for the 1450. Best results by staying within the yeasts range. May not be to style though, but good to drink.

Always good to keep good written notes for each brewing step.

I advocate what flars mentioned on the "mistake" beer. Brew the same grain bill if you can and do the saison again. At least the first batch will be a surprise and possibly delicious.

Silky mouthfeel with 1450 so its not going to be to style, but it should be quite interesting.

What was the recipe? Sounds like you probably made a spiced American pale that is a bit underbittered. Who knows, you might love it. I assume the recipe called for sugar? If you haven't added it yet you might want to leave it out.

Thanks to all of your for your comments. I don't have the recipe in front of me but its a saison Dupont so to say it will be a spiced pale ale sounds about right. I added corn sugar to boost the alcohol content (now to be a holiday spicy pale ale).

In summary this will not be a dry beer. Quite the opposite if one reads the 1450 description. It may be a little spicy with the coriander and paradise seeds. It has some orange peel. It will not be peppery. This is a mutt beer. I think I can drink this mutt and like it.

I know 1month and some change is fine sitting on primary, but at 4 months do you think there will be some autolysis?

Ashvillian,

I checked that before I made the decision to brew all three. After doing some research i think that I may get away without autolysis occurring. I have the above mentioned beer in a closet with the air handler at 75 deg. A bit warm for 1450. I hace an imperial porter in temp controlled Speidel fermenter. And an imperial stout in a Brewtech Chronical in another freezer. I think the spicy pale ale would be the best candidate due to The warmer temp in the closet, not chat wyeast says 1450 should be brewed at.

My thought is that either i do nothing and wait or try something. I was really upset i pitched The wrong yeast and squandered this opportunity. Otherwise i World have tapped themes at 4 weeks as i have little patience to wait for conditioning.

I know 1month and some change is fine sitting on primary, but at 4 months do you think there will be some autolysis?

Regarding your autolysis question, there was no autolysis. I got home in November and kegged and bottled about a week later. The porter and stout were outstanding. The saisson that I was all worried about was good but I didn't much care for the dried satsuma peel flavor. My wife and sister in-law polished that oun off. I'll have to go lighter on the dried zest in the future or even better use fresh zest.

So now I am experienced with these issues, I pitched the wrong yeast and kept 3 beers in primary for 4 1/2 months and I worried about it. So my lesson learned is this: forget about it. Don't worry about it..

Latest posts

Back