I need knowledge from you. I pitched to high..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewboz

Reaction score
I did an all grain blond ale tonight. Final gravity was .45 I chilled the wort but did not look,at the temp until I pitched and saw it was 90. I saw activity in the air lock withen 1 hour. I read about pitching at high temps causing off flavors so I dropped the whole fermenter into an ice bath for 30 min and got it down to 85 then the activity completely stoped.. Should so be worried about off flavors (probably) or did I kill my yeast by dropping the temp that fast?? Should I wait a day and if nothing happens in the air lock repitch? White labs Belgian blonde ale.

Last edited:
I did an all grain blond ale tonight. Final gravity was .45 I chilled the wort but did not look,at the temp until I pitched and saw it was 90. I saw activity in the air lock withen 1 hour. I read about pitch in,high temps causing off flavors so I dropped the whole fermenter into an ice bath for 30 min and got it down to 85 then the activity completely stoped.. Should so be worried about off flavors (probably) or did I kill my yeast by dropping the temp that fast?? Should I wait a day and if nothing happens in the air lock repitch?
What yeast did you use? Different yeasts have different optimal temps. 85 is still even too high. I would continue to ice bath it until it is within the optimal temp of the yeast you used. More often than not, 70 degrees will be in that target.

As far as if you killed the yeast or not, i don't think you did. I think they're still alive in there. Give it 72 hours before you repitch. That's the most delay I've personally seen in yeast activity

I did an all grain blond ale tonight. Final gravity was .45 I chilled the wort but did not look,at the temp until I pitched and saw it was 90. I saw activity in the air lock withen 1 hour. I read about pitching at high temps causing off flavors so I dropped the whole fermenter into an ice bath for 30 min and got it down to 85 then the activity completely stoped.. Should so be worried about off flavors (probably) or did I kill my yeast by dropping the temp that fast?? Should I wait a day and if nothing happens in the air lock repitch? White labs Belgian blonde ale.
Also do not rely on air lock activity as a sign of fermentation. Your wort was pretty warm. What you saw within the first hour was most likely equalization of pressures and not yeast activity

White labs Belgian blond. its to late to do any more ice bathing 130 am... I will just have to run it.

That is a good point its was still 90 could have been pressure from the heat. I will keep an eye ball on it and let you know if its starts

90 will not have hurt the yeast. They would have loved it, but possible off flavors. Cooling it quickly was probably a bit of a shock on the yeast, but should not cause a problem. In your favor, Belgian strains can tolerate higher temperatures than other strains.

I don't see a specific yeast called Belgian Blond. What was the WL number? Most are from the high 60s to 78. So I would control the temperature a little above 70.

Sorry your right wlp570 golden ale. And it is bubbling away at 74. It normally stays right there in my basement. I dont have temp control yet.

That yeast has a range of 68 - 75. At 74 ambient you might reach a fermentation temperature up to 84 degrees. Look into swamp cooling. A vessel with water at least a third up the side of the fermenter. You can use ice bottles to control the wort temperature. Change out as necessary to keep the temperature stable and cool.

I'm not sure what u mean. The temp gauge on the side of the bucket says 74 your thinking its actually 84?

fermentation is an exothermic process, i.e. it generates its own heat. Ideally you'll be measuring the internal temperature of the liquid itself. Those stick on thermo strips are pretty accurate for the most part but can be influenced or impacted by the ambient air temp itself. For big beers (imperial stouts, DIPAs, wee heavys, high gravity saisons, etc..) with a healthy pitch and a vigorous ferment fermentation temps can get upwards of 10 or so degrees F higher than ambient. Yeast selection also plays a roll in temps as well. Let it ride, move on and learn. You made beer either way! If you have time before bed dump any extra ice you may have into the bath and you should be alright. Cheers!

I believe it because I have two 1 gallons batches of cider that are thru fermenting and the stick on'
s read 72 while the beer reads 74. I kinda figured they where in the causing a bit of heat rise. It isn't in the ice bath any longer. The smell from the air lock is great. I'm going to keg it in about 2 weeks or after its done fermenting and reaches FG. I will let you guys know if it has any off flavors. It will indeed be drank till the last drop either way

I'm not sure what u mean. The temp gauge on the side of the bucket says 74 your thinking its actually 84?
The temperature strip should show close to what the wort temperature is. Watch that. If your room temperature is 74 and you don't control the wort temperature, it could rise as high as 84. It would then show the increase on the strip. You can control the fermentation temperature by putting the fermenter in a larger vessel filled with enough water to rise about 1/3 of the fermenter. Don't submerge the strip. Then you rotate ice bottles to keep the temperature down. Most ale yeasts do best in the mid sixties.

Hmm I will try that on my next batch. All of the beer I have made is usually around 72 which is what the strip says it is now so its even lower or about 74 and they have all turned out to be good. I am going to get a mini fridge eventually so that I can do temperature control to the tee. I know temperature plays a huge role in fermentation I do have a large sink I could submerge it in would it really make that much of a difference now 2 or 3 days after pitching? Could it hurt the yeasties droping it from 72 to say 65? I have never even done a batch at that low of a temp before haha never been able too or really tried..

Hmm I will try that on my next batch. All of the beer I have made is usually around 72 which is what the strip says it is now so its even lower or about 74 and they have all turned out to be good. I am going to get a mini fridge eventually so that I can do temperature control to the tee. I know temperature plays a huge role in fermentation I do have a large sink I could submerge it in would it really make that much of a difference now 2 or 3 days after pitching? Could it hurt the yeasties droping it from 72 to say 65? I have never even done a batch at that low of a temp before haha never been able too or really tried..

At three days after pitching, the important part for controlling temperature has mostly past so I would make some effort to keep the temperature from rising but I would not worry about cooling it otherwise.

Back