I need help with polishing old brass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need help, I purchased an old Perlick brass draft tower and it needs a good polish. I have been using brasso and it is not quite doing it, you can see in the pictures.

So, what do I need to do to get a nice mirror shine?
Second, what do I need to do to keep it that way for a while? Auto wax?

Thanks for your guys help, it is to cool to let it go to waste.

Mother's Billet Polish. You'll find it at your FLAPS ( Friendly Local Auto Parts Store). Usually in the tire/rim section.

Also consider one of the polishing balls, as nothing helps polishing like power tools.

Thanks,
I will try this, and I prefer power tools to hand work. But, once I get it polished, how do I keep it shiny? I know it can be coated with lacquer, but I am worried about not being able to do it well enough. What do you guys think about a couple of coats of car wax?

I'm a mariner and have had to polish more than my share of brass. Youre piece doesnt look to be that bad off. If brasso isn't cutting it then try Nev-r-dull. Comes in a blue tin.

If theres oxidization and bad discoloration then you can mix up a packet of grape kool-aid (don't add the sugar) and spray it on there, let it sit for a bit then rinse it off. If you have to break out the big guns, spray it with Lime Away and rinse. Lime away doesnt recommend you use it on brass but it works like a champ.
If you use either kool-aid or lime away you'll want to hit it with nev-r-dull afterwards to give it a quick protective coat of polish.

I havent had luck applying urethane to brass. You have to strip any polish residue off the brass first or else the urethane will pull those tiny bits out of every crevice and surface imperfection then they turn black and gray and discolor the urethane.
The best way to keep it looking sharp is to threaten severe beatings to all who dare touch the brass. Hope this helps.

Use a blue polishing stick with a polishing wheel mounted on an angle grinder. As stated above, lacquer is the best bet but I would cut it first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

Never-Dull is great for polishing metal. My brother first encountered it in the marines. I even use it on polished car parts & the brass parts on my muzzle loaders.

For keeping it polished, I've read that clear shoe polish works. You might try furniture polish. Melted beeswax or linseed oil work to an extent. These are all outdoor nautical solutions.

Don't put any lacquer on it. It will tarnish under the coating and then you will have to remove the lacquer before you can polish it again.

Your best bet is to clean it up and then hit it with a little Nevr-dull every once in a while

Retired Master Chief Boatswain's Mate sends...

Oh for Christ sakes, how about a little elbow grease?;)

There has been much of that grease expended. :)

I did find something out though. It was originally coated with lacquer by Perlick, it has wore off in some spots letting tarnish to happen under the lacquer. I need to strip the old lacquer off before I can really get it polished.

Latest posts

Back