I need help with 240v gfci tripping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LemonJelly

Reaction score
I recently installed a 240v gfci breaker for my pre built 240v electric control panel and a 4500w ULWD heating element. Ever since installing the gfci breaker, it keeps tripping for some reason.

When the breaker was installed, I put about 5 gallons of water in my pot to test out the breaker in PID mode. I was able to run the water to 160f with my pump on without tripping my breaker, I tried boil next and boiling worked fine.

Today when I added 8+ gallons of water, it started heating up to about 130f and the breaker tripped. I switched the breaker back on and it ran for about 30 secs before tripping again. After resetting the breaker several times it would constantly trip after just turning the heating element on. I triple checked that the neutral wire that was coming from the 240v outlet was attached to the gfci breaker and the white jumper was attached the to the neutral bus. I really don't know where to go from there and any help would be appreciated.

I'm including pictures of my 240v gfci breaker (didn't think of taking a picture while it was installed...) and also the inside of my control panel.

Panel inside-
https://i.imgur.com/2Ztxpl0.jpg

Panel side-
https://i.imgur.com/2VFdx0a.jpg

240v gfci breaker-
https://i.imgur.com/zTqM9Ov.jpg

It’s possible you’ve developed a short in your element. At this point I would troubleshoot by process of elimination.

First disconnect your element from the breaker and energize it, if I doesn’t trip and you have power on the load side of your breaker it’s probably the element.

If you have access to a megger meter that would be the best way to test the element but you could try it without water or even isolate the element from any possible ground.

It’s possible you’ve developed a short in your element. At this point I would troubleshoot by process of elimination.

First disconnect your element from the breaker and energize it, if I doesn’t trip and you have power on the load side of your breaker it’s probably the element.

If you have access to a megger meter that would be the best way to test the element but you could try it without water or even isolate the element from any possible ground.

Sorry I'm pretty new at this but how would I go about energize the element? I assume when you say "disconnect your element from the breaker" you mean my control box? I pretty sure I would be able to get my hands on a megger meter. I'll try testing with that. Thanks

I'll try some process of elimination, thanks guys and I'll report back when I find out some more info.

Last edited:
Water getting in with your connections to the element is definitely an issue. Any current leakage between hot and ground in the connection area will trip the GFCI. It only takes about 5 mA of leakage to trip a GFCI.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back