I need help from lemon zest experts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoundrel

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of lemon wheat for a friends party using Sorachi Ace late in the boil. I would like to add a "dry zest" of lemon zest to the keg. The problem is that I don't know how much to add. 1oz... 5oz... Has anyone had experience with lemon zest in secondary or keg? Any advice is most appreciated!!!

I put 1.5 oz in a wheat before. It was just right. I added it at flame out to kill any critters. I've also used lemongrass like a dry hop but I boiled it in a little water and cooled first. Just speaking from experience, cause I'm no expert.

Just got home from a party where I took my lemon wheat beer that was a hit with some. I zested 4 lemons and added 1/4-1/2 oz of cascade hops in a hop sack to the cold keg. Let this sit in my keezer for 2 weeks and the lemon taste will just jump right out there and say hello. It was not too sweet but did overpower the wheat taste instead of complimenting it. Thus, I would start with zesting two lemons and add these in hop sack to your keg. If the keg is at room temp let this go for about 5 days but if the keg is cold then it may need more time to notice how much the lemon flavor will transfer to the beer.

Just got home from a party where I took my lemon wheat beer that was a hit with some. I zested 4 lemons and added 1/4-1/2 oz of cascade hops in a hop sack to the cold keg. Let this sit in my keezer for 2 weeks and the lemon taste will just jump right out there and say hello. It was not too sweet but did overpower the wheat taste instead of complimenting it. Thus, I would start with zesting two lemons and add these in hop sack to your keg. If the keg is at room temp let this go for about 5 days but if the keg is cold then it may need more time to notice how much the lemon flavor will transfer to the beer.

I'm definitely looking for subtle and the keg will be cold. I guess I will zest 1 lemon and add it to a hop sack for one week. The good news is that I have 6 weeks until the party. I'll add it and check after a week. Did you boil the zest from the 4 lemons or just throw them right in?

The first time I tried this I used only the zest of one lemon in a hop bag with several marbles and fishing line that had beeb boiled for 5 minutes. I boiled the zest for just one minute inside the bag and added this to the keg. After 10 days I could not detect any real taste of the lemon so I went add did this again with the zest of 4 lemons and their juice added to the boil. This was too much for many people's taste except for those that like a summer shanty beer.

Thus, I recommend using the zest of two lemons and not adding their juice.

For the cost, a Microplane rasp is worth its weight in gold when it comes to zesting anything, or grating stuff like cinnamon, nutmeg, hell you can do Chili peppers on the thing.

Buy it as a present for SWMBO and sneak it for your zesting needs, win/win situation there, unless you're the cook, then buy it for yourself!

Back