I need help calculating percent of alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
Dec 22, 2010 I started a gallon of cider with a Specific Gravity of 1.1. It fermented down to a SG of 1.035. In March I topped it off with a quart of store bought cider that had a gravity of 1.055. This brought the volume up to 1 gallon.
Now the gravity is .0995.

Can you give me an idea what the alcohol level should be?

Thanks for your help.

Just average it out...1 gal @ 1.1 + 1qt @ 1.055= 1.091 starting gravity of your blended product. So just run your calculator with OG 1.091 and FG .0995 and you got it. You don't even need to know the intermediate 1.035 gravity.

I think Nikki is close, but presumably if he added a quart to end up with a gallon, then he only had 3 quarts to start with (even though he said gallon... but he must have lost a lot when he took gravity readings or something), which had an OG of 1.1. so three quarts at 1.100 plus 1 quart at 1.055=

.75(1.1)+.25(1.055)=1.088 for your OG.

Using an ABV calculator then, 1.088 OG with .0995 FG is 13.72%.

I actually started with 1 gal but lost a little with each racking, down to 3 quarts.
It was finished fermenting when I got the 1.035 but the results was too sweet so I added the quart of cider to get it started again and dilute the sweetness.

Now the good flavor from the dark brown sugar is gone because it fermented so dry. At 13.72 % I should be at the max level for the safale 04 yeast. i think I will let it age for a few months and see if a little of the brown sugar flavor comse back.

Back