I need an experienced IPA brewers help. HOPS!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
i'm gonna be brewing a CDA, the ingredients include

2 row
munich
crystal 40
flaked oats
de-bittered black malt
d2 syrup

here's the hop schedule, this is what i'm concerned with most, isn't the 2 oz. columbus a bit much? like rip enamel from your teeth excessive or what? yooper has been helping me out but he's unfamiliar with IPA's using this kind of malts etc. He said it does seem excessive but hes not sure how it will work with that malt bill and maybe it might be needed for this kind of malt bill. So i'm looking for experience IPA brewers who can shed some light on this.

columbus 60 min 2 oz. 14.4 aas
citra 15 min 1 oz. 10.3 aas
centennial 5 min 1 oz. 9.7 aas

First off, Yooper is a female.

For a 5-gallon batch? Yes I would say 2 oz of Columbus is a little too much. I would only use 1 - 1.25 ounces in an IPA. But you need more hops elsewhere.

I like a 30 minute addition and a knock out addition in addition to what you have. .75 oz Centennial at 30 minutes and .5 of each of the hops at knock out.

First off, Yooper is a female.

For a 5-gallon batch? Yes I would say 2 oz of Columbus is a little too much. I would only use 1 - 1.25 ounces in an IPA. But you need more hops elsewhere.

I like a 30 minute addition and a knock out addition in addition to what you have. .75 oz Centennial at 30 minutes and .5 of each of the hops at knock out.

thanks for clearing that up for me :p

ok so with what you're saying

1.25 oz columbus at 60
.75 centennial at 30
1 oz citra at 15
1 oz centennial at 5
.5 oz of columbus at flame out
.5 oz of centennial at flame out
.5 oz of citra at flame out (I might make this one 1 oz rather than .5 oz though)

is that right?

thanks for clearing that up for me :p

ok so with what you're saying

1.25 oz columbus at 60
.75 centennial at 30
1 oz citra at 15
1 oz centennial at 5
.5 oz of columbus at flame out
.5 oz of centennial at flame out
.5 oz of citra at flame out (I might make this one 1 oz rather than .5 oz though)

is that right?

Yeah, that looks like it will punch you right in the face with hops and not rip the enamel off of your teeth in the process.

I would do:
1 oz Columbus @ 60
.5 oz Columbus @ 30
.5 oz Citra @10
.5 oz Centennial @ flame out
.5 oz Centennial Dry hop
.5 oz Citra Dry hop

I would do:
1 oz Columbus @ 60
.5 oz Columbus @ 30
.5 oz Citra @10
.5 oz Centennial Dry hop
.5 oz Citra Dry hop

I like this one better than the other, but would move columbus #2 to 20min.

I would do:
1 oz Columbus @ 60
.5 oz Columbus @ 30
.5 oz Citra @10
.5 oz Centennial Dry hop
.5 oz Citra Dry hop

im pretty new to this hop thing and this will be my first IPA, why do you like this one better? and is that a mistake, i see two .5 oz additions of centennial at flame out

I am drinking a regular IPA right now that has a similar profile to that, with no oats or black malt.

Hop Schedule:
1 oz Chinook @ 60
1 oz Chinook @ 30
.5 Centennial @ 15
.5 Centennial @ 10
.5 Centennial @ 5
1 Cascade @ flame out

With this schedule, it is not all that in-your-face bitter. In fact, there is a little less hop bitterness than I wanted. I was doing a partial mash though, with a little bit of topping off (4gal boil for a 5gal batch) so my hop utilization would be a little less than optimal, so that may account for it. I wouldn't be afraid of bumping up the bittering past 1oz; a CDA will have a little more maltiness to back up the bitterness anyways, right?

im pretty new to this hop thing and this will be my first IPA, why do you like this one better? and is that a mistake, i see two .5 oz additions of centennial at flame out

I just took it as 1oz of centennial, and I like it!

The reason I like this one better is because I would not make an IPA without a dry hop. You cannot replicate a dry hop with other additions.

I just took it as 1oz of centennial, and I like it!

The reason I like this one better is because I would not make an IPA without a dry hop. You cannot replicate a dry hop with other additions.

Hahaha.. after thinking about it, I would stick with the centennial as well. It's one of my late hop / dry hop choices. :rockin:

All of us arguing should really be answered by You, the brewer, Mr. OP.

Take the hops with the highest AA and use them at 60.
Take the hops you think TASTE the best and use them from 5-20min (or 30 like others).
Take the hops you think SMELL the best, and use them at 0min.
Take the hops you think SMELL AND TASTE the best and dry hop.

We can help you with what hops taste like, but you should really make this IPA your own.

All of us arguing should really be answered by You, the brewer, Mr. OP.

Take the hops with the highest AA and use them at 60.
Take the hops you think TASTE the best and use them from 5-20min (or 30 like others).
Take the hops you think SMELL the best, and use them at 0min.
Take the hops you think SMELL AND TASTE the best and dry hop.

We can help you with what hops taste like, but you should really make this IPA your own.

thank you for that! I'll let you guys know what I decide :mug:

1 oz Columbus @ 60
.25 oz Columbus @ 20
.5 oz citra @ 15
.5 oz Citra @10
.5 oz Centennial @ 5
.5 oz Citra @ flame out
.5 oz Centennial Dry hop
.5 oz Citra Dry hop

1 oz Columbus @ 60
.25 oz Columbus @ 20
.5 oz citra @ 15
.5 oz Citra @10
.5 oz Centennial @ 5
.5 oz Citra @ flame out
.5 oz Centennial Dry hop
.5 oz Citra Dry hop

if this is your final, great. but if it were I, take your .5 citra from dry hop and add it to the .5 oz at 10 min. add another .5 centennial to your dry hop. cheers all around.

p.s. once you get to the point were your scheduling your hops by the amount of AA instead of weight you may find your brews become a bit more repeatable. especially if your going to do something more on the malty side.

1 oz Columbus @ 60
.25 oz Columbus @ 20
.5 oz citra @ 15
.5 oz Citra @10
.5 oz Centennial @ 5
.5 oz Citra @ flame out
.5 oz Centennial Dry hop
.5 oz Citra Dry hop

if this is your final, great. but if it were I, take your .5 citra from dry hop and add it to the .5 oz at 10 min. add another .5 centennial to your dry hop. cheers all around.

p.s. once you get to the point were your scheduling your hops by the amount of AA instead of weight you may find your brews become a bit more repeatable. especially if your going to do something more on the malty side.

I tend to go by AA only for my bittering addition, after that anything 20min and under I go by weight.

1 oz Columbus @ 60
.25 oz Columbus @ 20
.5 oz citra @ 15
.5 oz Citra @10
.5 oz Centennial @ 5
.5 oz Citra @ flame out
.5 oz Centennial Dry hop
.5 oz Citra Dry hop

yeah, I think i like ur way better...it'll give me a clearer view of what i'm tasting and smelling. thanks

Back