I need advice on pressing pears!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
I need advice!!! I ran a bushel of pears through my grinder and press setup and it was a bit of a disaster. I have a WhizzBang style grinder made from a kitchen disposal and a farm duty motor to replace the disposal's weak motor. And for the press I use a modified harbor freight h-frame press, used like a rack and cloth style press. I let the pears sweat for 5 days. Then after grinding them, I built my cheeses like I do with apples and as I started applying pressure, everything started sliding out the sides. Ended up doing one layer at a time, applying pressure very slowly, and it took half a day to get it all pressed. What could/should I have done differently? Would I have had the same problems if I used proper perry pears?

Use a juicer instead. Works great on apples.

Just to add that a Breville centrifugal juice works a lot faster and doesn’t plug and is easier to clean than a Kuvings masticating juicer.

I've read that pears are notoriously difficult to press. Apparently adding rice hulls to the pomace helps, but I've never tried this so can't say for sure.

The only method that has worked for me is to freeze ripe pears whole (use buckets in a chest freezer),
then let the pears thaw and place whole in a basket press. I have a Breville juicer and I tried that, it didn't work for me, created too much foam. Grinding them like apples and pressing didn't work either, the pulp just wouldn't give up the juice.
One method I didn't try: Press apples in the regular way, but save the pressed apples, then grind the pears and mix with the already pressed apples.
I've tried to make perry 5-6 times using different kinds of pears I can get around here and the results have been disappointing, I've pretty much given up. When I have time, I cook down the pears and make pear honey which is good on toast. Perhaps pear honey could be mixed with water and fermented?
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/75639/pear-honey/

Latest posts

Back