I need a little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malc

Reaction score
So I searched for this specific question and couldn't find anything. I just got a keg setup, the dual keg system from Midwest. I kegged my first beer the other day. Pressurized to 5psi, checked for leaks and put it in the fridge overnight to chill to 40 degrees. I hooked up the gas the next day and set the regulator at 7psi, which according to the carbonation chart should give me 2.01 volumes(it is a bitter). I left everything in the fridge hooked up, CO2 tank and all. When I checked it the next day the regulator read 4psi in the keg and the tank pressure had gone down a bit, as well.

The question: Should I be worried about a leak? Did the pressures just drop because the previously warm CO2 tank, regulator and line got cold? Any help would be much appreciated.

The pressure drop was mostly likely the temperature drop. My full 20# tank only reads around 500psi in my fridge.

in my experience, sometimes regs need some adjustment time. i've had to fiddle with mine in the past to get it to maintain a certain adjustment for a long period of time. maybe one or two tweaks max.... RDWHAHB

by the way, what size/length beer lines are you using?

In adition to the temp change, I also found that I had to break in my BrewLogic regulators a little bit before they held a constant pressure. I did that bu turning it up to 50PSI, then back down, and bleeding out the pressure in the lines twice. Never had another issue with creeping pressure.

The temp change is probably the culprit tho.

Thanks for the help. I was hoping it was just the temperature. I will also try boosting the psi. Thanks again.

I am using the lines that came with the setup. 5ft. I think.

personally, i'd serve a bitter warmer than 40. if you do this, you should recalculate the pressure you use to carbonate at warmer temp.

I typically like my brews right around 40. I have tried bitters and stouts a little warmer, and they were good, but it is starting to get a hot where I am at. Right now colder is better. Thanks for the info, though. What temp. do you use for a bitter

I like a bitter at 50, but that's just personal preference I suppose. I guess it also matters how fast you drink it, and how warm it is out. For example, if it's 65 where I am, and I take 20 minutes to drink my bitter, no problem. But if it's 95 where you live, and you take 45 minutes, it might be a little too warm and flat by the time you finish that beer.

Yep. Best bitter I have ever had was at a place in Michigan...Big Buck I think. They served it on a nitrogen tap. Very good.

Back