I need a good first time recommendation recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

israelj

Reaction score
My wife likes Jeremiah red beer from BJ's here in California. I need a good recipe that is easy enough to accomplish for a first-timer to brewing. She likes mid-dark and not too bitter (I will make my own batch next time). Something a bit frothy.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, great forum!

Hmmm, I haven't had that beer so I'm just guessing what it's like, but I saw a red ale kit in a Brewer's Best package that looked really good to me a while back. Could that be something that could work for you?

My wife likes Jeremiah red beer from BJ's here in California. I need a good recipe that is easy enough to accomplish for a first-timer to brewing. She likes mid-dark and not too bitter (I will make my own batch next time). Something a bit frothy.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, great forum!

Old post but here is an extract recipe that looks pretty easy https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/jeremiah-clone-anyone-5637/

Good luck and happy brewing!

Thank you Yooper and Tinhorn. Tinhorn, looks like that's the one. I'll give it a whirl.

BJ's is a very busy/popular brewing and burger joint and Jeremiah Red is one of their most popular beers, especially amongst the women...

Looks like this is what Onedon settled on:

"Here's how it will go down Wed. night guys. Thanks for all the info, and I'll let you know how it goes. Has anyone used the Safale US-56 yet? It sounds pretty good.

9.25 lb. Light LME
0.5 lb. Crystal 60
2.5 oz. Chocolate Malt

Steep grain in a gallon of 160 F water for a half hour. Rinse and add more water to desired volume and boil, add extract.

0.75 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
0.75 oz Northern Brewer 30 min
0.5 oz. Northern Brewer 15 min

Fermentis/ Safale US-56"

And I found another:

"I haven't cloned this one myself yet, but I love the beer and I'm going to try it in a few weeks. Since the Jeremiah Red isn't a typical Irish Red (closer to an Imperial Irish Red based on ABV), it's a little hard to get the recipe down exactly. I tweaked your second recipe in Beer Smith a little, and this is what I came up with:

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.5 lb Munich Malt
5 oz (0.3125 lb) Crystal 120L
5 oz (0.3125 lb) Crystal 40L
2 oz (0.125 lb) Chocolate Malt
1 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

Hops: Northern Brewer - 1 oz @ 60 mins, 0.5 oz @ 15 mins, 0.5 oz @ 5 mins
Yeast: Irish Ale (Wyeast #1084)

I think you were headed in the right direction, just needed to switch the sucrose for dextrose, get rid of the Caramunich (BJ's doesn't use it), and adjust the chocolate and crystal malts a bit. I used 120L and 40L because those are more typical of an Irish Red, and with the 2 oz of Chocolate, you get pretty close to the red color you want."

You'll almost certainly be happy brewing any decent Red Ale recipe. To make things ultra-easy, just pick any good looking Red Ale extract kit from any of the major retailers (or your local home brew shop) and go.

Jeremiah Red is on the strong side as far as Red Ales go, so if you're set on getting close to that, pick something on the stronger side.

That being said, either of those recipes you posted don't look very difficult and I'm sure you'd be happy with any of them.

Now if only we could put together a clone of their Oasis Amber.... yum.

JPrather-I'll have to try their Oasis Amber now...

It's my favorite of the BJ's beers, although reviews tend to be hit or miss. Jeremiah Red is altogether too strong for me, Oasis Amber is lower ABV, smoother, etc., which is more what I want out of an Amber.

I'm pretty new to homebrewing like you, and Oasis is on my "beers I want to brew something similar to" list that we all have in our head when we start out :).

Does anyone have a step-by-step that would fit the last recipe posted-for newbies?

Thank you

If you're going to put together your own ingredients ala that recipe, my recommendation is to check out "How to Brew", read "Section 2" about brewing an extract w/specialty grain recipe, and plug in your ingredients as you go.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Back