I need a good (but not too good) whiskey for my Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, all I read there was a contradictory statement .
-I suggested to the OP to aging on the charred oak barrel chips (charred oak impregnated with whiskey, which if I read my own statement right, thats not single dimensional, its at least 3)
-your reasoning NOT to is that it can be over-oaked but then you say you leave an unused oak cube (one dimensional to me), bottle it and leave it . Please tell me now that you've bottled it can you try it to tell when its been oaked enough ?
-Each bottle that you don't drink becomes oaked more each second its in there.
At the least, the chips are a faster acting dimension and in that ,once the desired oakiness has been reached(if in fact thats your end expectation) , simply remove them. Want more whiskey taste , add that an ounce at a time.

I can totally agree that each individual has individual tastes and expected outcomes .
Again, I was only making a suggestion. I didn't mean for this to turn into an argument .
Geez, Relax, don't worry and go have a homebrew.

I wasn't trying to make it an argument, I was explaining my views on the subject. You asked why chips vs cubes was that much different and I was trying to explain. Sorry if it came across more harsh than intended, I like nerding out on fun subjects and happen to be a big whiskey fan, it probably translated to plain text poorly. I'll try again.

There's two things to consider with oak aging. First is contact area between the beer and oak. The more surface area you have in contact the faster the beer will take on the oak character. Chips, because of their shape, have a lot more surface area than an equivalent weight of cubes. As a result, the chips will impart a lot of flavor very quickly. If this is your first time playing with oaking it can be very easy to over oak with chips. Cubes have a smaller surface area compared to the same weight. I bring up weight because you'll see people mention things like "use 3oz of oak per 5 gallons." That 3oz will have hugely different affect depending on the form factor of oak. Cubes are a better option to start with because they work slower. You can check it once a week and decide when you're happy with the results. With chips you might blow right past your desired levels if you're not careful. I point it out only to help people who are new to the subject.

If you have used chips in the past and know what time period gets you to where you like your beer, great, keep doing that.

The second is the dimensionality of the flavor you get from each. This is less important to some, but it's fun to discuss. Some people don't notice a difference, others swear by it. Cubes, being new oak that's been toasted, have different layers to them, much like a barrel will. Char on the outside, fresh on the inside. these layers do allow different flavors to be pulled as the beer soaks in and out of them. Chips tend to be more single dimensioned. You're right that the cubes you buy from the LHBS haven't spent years soaking and reacting to a liquor. But you can add that layer with a month or more of soaking them in something. Is it perfectly the same? Maybe not, but it's close enough that most couldn't tell you otherwise. The description you'll see most is that chips tend to just give a wood flavor, while cubes will give a wider spectrum including the vanilla and other flavors associated with bourbons. Adjusting your quantity of oak and time left aging on it changes those dimensions. Again, not saying that chips should never use used, just pointing out that there are different results that you may want to experiment with.

I brought up my experiments with oaking in a bottle because it's been a fun science project. The biggest warning I see is being careful not to over oak, not to leave the beer sitting on it too long. I wanted to see if there was a level you could add where it would impart the flavor you wanted and hit a plateau where it didn't go too far. My thread on it is here if you're interested: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/oaking-beer-in-bottles.636724/ I have a bottle that's been sitting for a year chilling in my fridge to try this weekend and update the thread with.

Something to consider with oak chips/cubes/spirals is that they contain tannins which can impart a really harsh flavor. It's best to steam the for 20 minutes to eliminate the tannins. Then you can add your choice whiskey to the oak and let it sit. I like to put it in the fridge and the take it out periodically to simulate the change of seasons which allows the wood to expand and contract, soaking up every drop of whiskey!

Something to consider with oak chips/cubes/spirals is that they contain tannins which can impart a really harsh flavor. It's best to steam the for 20 minutes to eliminate the tannins. Then you can add your choice whiskey to the oak and let it sit. I like to put it in the fridge and the take it out periodically to simulate the change of seasons which allows the wood to expand and contract, soaking up every drop of whiskey!
I just saw this. Very interesting, especially the steaming to eliminate the tannins. I used spirals. Thanks.

It's about halfway carbonated. The flavor is really good, needs some time. I'm thinking another few months. I'm way more than pleased with it. Thanks.
Cant go wrong with aging it longer. How long has it been since you brewed it?

Cant go wrong with aging it longer. How long has it been since you brewed it?
I brewed it on August 7th and bottled on August 29th (I do at least three weeks primary and then bottle for everything). So not even a month.

Back