I need a glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewse

Reaction score
I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy this:

BrewBuilt™ IceMaster Max 4 Glycol Chiller

I don't want to wait too long given the weather is heating up and my cooling chamber died on me. Its hard to beat the price which includes the pumps.

Anyone want to either encourage me to buy unit or steer me in another direction?

Glycol chillers are awesome . Have you checked out DIY chillers ? I made one and it really easy . About 300 wrapped into it.

I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy this:

BrewBuilt™ IceMaster Max 4 Glycol Chiller

I don't want to wait too long given the weather is heating up and my cooling chamber died on me. Its hard to beat the price which includes the pumps.

Anyone want to either encourage me to buy unit or steer me in another direction?

I own an Icemaster 100 and it works perfectly.

At this point, I would suggest you consider a setup that gives you more flexible options. The Max4 has the same mechanical "guts" as the Icemaster 100 except it has built in controllers and pumps. When you compare the price difference between the Icemaster 100 and the Max4, the Max4 costs $150 more. I suspect that covers the cost of the controllers and pumps.

While I understand the trend for some manufactures is to include controllers and pumps with their chillers, I personally do not like that permanent type of configuration. I like the ability to select what type of controller I want to use. Last December I bought Inkbird ITC-308 WIFI controllers when they were on sale for $25. They are great and have saved me so much money and time as I do not have to race home to adjust the temps. Since it is connected to my WIFI, I just pull out my iPhone and adjust the temps. The Max4 as well as other manufactures controllers are NOT WIFI enabled!!! Btw, pumps are cheap too.

So, in the end I highly recommend the Icemaster 100 for its performance (can crash to 28F), for its quietness, and flexibility that allows one to choose their own controller that benefits their situation.

After searching for a while, I ended up buying the new Blichmann glycol chiller. I'll probably write up a review after I use it in the next week or so. I haven't plugged it in yet because I was waiting for Blichmann support to reply to my support request. The bolts that come through the bottom of the unit interfere with the casters, making it difficult to move around. I have been waiting about two weeks for a response, they might just be understaffed because of the pandemic. I have beer to make so I'm planning on taking a grinder to the offending bolts, and hoping Blichmann wont give me trouble later if I need warranty work.

Overall the unit looks pretty good and has an integrated power strip. The reservoir capacity is good and it doesn't look like a repurposed window AC.

After searching for a while, I ended up buying the new Blichmann glycol chiller. I'll probably write up a review after I use it in the next week or so. I haven't plugged it in yet because I was waiting for Blichmann support to reply to my support request. The bolts that come through the bottom of the unit interfere with the casters, making it difficult to move around. I have been waiting about two weeks for a response, they might just be understaffed because of the pandemic. I have beer to make so I'm planning on taking a grinder to the offending bolts, and hoping Blichmann wont give me trouble later if I need warranty work.

Overall the unit looks pretty good and has an integrated power strip. The reservoir capacity is good and it doesn't look like a repurposed window AC.

Have you tried starting a new thread and asking your support question here on HBT about the bolts? If not, I be willing to bet someone will answer your question(s).

It's not that I have a question so much as I want to know if they want to handle it before I resort to taking a grinder to them. I'm not sure how such a small but significant design flaw made it to a production unit. The bolts are about 1/16" too long. The fix is simple, shorten the bolts, replace them with shorter versions, or add a spacer to the castor.

The bolts hit the brake plate on the casters. All four wheels have brakes, it's possible that they switched casters at some point and didn't fit them before sending them out. It is a small thing but it prevents the wheels from rotating and makes them act like brakes.

It's not that I have a question so much as I want to know if they want to handle it before I resort to taking a grinder to them. I'm not sure how such a small but significant design flaw made it to a production unit. The bolts are about 1/16" too long. The fix is simple, shorten the bolts, replace them with shorter versions, or add a spacer to the castor.

I'm sure other owners will understand what the issue is and what the solution could be. Again, start a new thread and I know you will receive responses from other owners.....Good luck!

I emailed [email protected] about a gasket issue and got a response in under 24 buisness hours, or 1 buisness day.
You might want to resend your email?
My undestanding is Blichmann is like the Nordstroms of gear. High price, but quality and unbeatable service.

Edit- not that there are not other high quality and high service companies out there. Not trying to start a debate here!!

I had a problem with the Riptide pump and they sent out a replacement part quickly. I have been happy with their service in the past and their products have been solid. I resubmitted a ticket this morning. The old ticket wasn't showing up so I think there was a problem with the system when I originally submitted it. I wasn't trying to hijack this thread, just putting another option out there for OP to consider. :)

I have the SS BrewTech glycol unit and it works great. I have had for a couple of years and have not had any issues with it at all. That being said I have a lot of Blichmann products and they are top shelf as well.

Attachments

• Brew.jpg
    Brew.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
I have the three-port SS Brewtech 1/5 HP unit and it's great. I use it for my 7 gal fermenter and cooling for my long-draw draught system. The SS Brewtech units have been redesigned to be more compact since one in the image @rwinzing posted above. They don't come with pumps and temp control for the fermenters, though. I have a fairly long glycol line between the unit and my fermenter, so I use a 24v Penguin XL pump which is connected to the fermenter's FTSs 12v system through a cheap relay (with a diode I had lying around to prevent back EMF from the pump damaging the relay).

I would also pick up a GFCI power block, if the outlet or circuit you're using is not already protected.

Attachments

• IMG_5985.jpg
    IMG_5985.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
I have the three-port SS Brewtech 1/5 HP unit and it's great. I use it for my 7 gal fermenter and cooling for my long-draw draught system. The SS Brewtech units have been redesigned to be more compact since one in the image @rwinzing posted above. They don't come with pumps and temp control for the fermenters, though. I have a fairly long glycol line between the unit and my fermenter, so I use a 24v Penguin XL pump which is connected to the fermenter's FTSs 12v system through a cheap relay (with a diode I had lying around to prevent back EMF from the pump damaging the relay).

I would also pick up a GFCI power block, if the outlet or circuit you're using is not already protected.
I like the look of the new ones as well.

Back