I need a cigarette ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourdon

Reaction score
and it's two in the mothafu*cking morning. I normally do not crave like this but the liquor says otherwise. F**K, I need to quit this sucks.

Keep it up, dude! It's rough, but you really have to HATE those things, and some day you will look back and pat yourself on the back and say, "I did it! Take THAT, you Muthfukas!! YEAH!"

Or something like that...

+3 on the Chantix. I will be smoke free for a year on Feb 9th. (20 years 1 pack a day habit)

Advise if your trying to quit....
Try to avoid nicotine gum and patches, they both have nicotine in them and its the nicotine your body is addicted to.

I don't think it's called cold turkey when you're taking medicine!
Not saying that your quitting is any less praiseworthy with help, just not cold turkey.

I'd always associated cold turkey with not smoking any more cigarettes, regardless of whether or not you used something else to pacify your cravings.

I was at a pack a day. Now I'm more like two packs a week. I try not to smoke at work. I never smoke at home. It's only when I'm druck that I NEED one.

I know it is hard, but keep it up. Tobacco induced cancer took my Grandpa way too soon in not a very nice way. I really miss him. I'll be sending good quitting vibs your way. Good luck.

I did Chantix as well.

I'm off the cigs, but I smoke hookah like a fiend. I do'nt know if that counts. I don't want a cigarette and when I do have one every few months I get all sick in the stomach and don't want another one.

Here's my question, I haven't been smoking for as long as most of you, but around 6 years. I've tried quitting with no success. I will go months, and then I'll have one when I'm drinking, then I just want another one and another one and... So basically, is it possible (and yes I realize anything's possible, so let's say "likely), that you can go from a full on smoker to a casual smoker? I am having trouble with that. Also, I'm not really looking to quit just yet, sadly, I still enjoy it.

EDIT: Casual smoker being someone who does not buy cigarettes and only smokes on occation. (I'd say "only smokes when drinking" but I drink far too often)

EDIT: Casual smoker being someone who does not buy cigarettes and only smokes on occation. (I'd say "only smokes when drinking" but I drink far too often)

I used to hate people like you. I live a fair ways out in the country, and people would come out over the weekend and bum my smokes because they were drinking my beer. They always said, "I only smoke when I'm drinking".
I meanwhile, was an addict and if I ran out of smokes, it was a thirty minute round trip to buy some more at the closest store. Which by the way, charged like a dollar more because they know that you are not going to drive the extra ten minutes in to town to save that dollar.

Question for everyone taking Chantix. Are you still taking it? Ive heard that it works amazing but the moment you stop taking it you will start smoking again. From what I understand its because you are actually still addicted to the nicotine its just that the Chantix blocks the receptors in your brain and your body thinks you are still getting the nicotine............. true or not?

I used to hate people like you. I live a fair ways out in the country, and people would come out over the weekend and bum my smokes because they were drinking my beer. They always said, "I only smoke when I'm drinking".
I meanwhile, was an addict and if I ran out of smokes, it was a thirty minute round trip to buy some more at the closest store. Which by the way, charged like a dollar more because they know that you are not going to drive the extra ten minutes in to town to save that dollar.

The difference is, the people are coming to my house and drinking my beer. It's the least they can do. I'm not that big of an *******.

6 months is coming up for me after 10 years, 8 at a pack a day with 2 longish breaks in between. First time I quit I did the patches and gum... went back within 3 months. Second time I replaced smokes with... other things (had just started dating wife....). Seems like I also did the patch then too.

This time I just stopped smoking. I'd had a revelation of just how addicted I was (zippo flint was on last legs 1/2 way through work day...) and within a few days I was in the shower and said F-it, I already had my last cigarette.

Now heres the key - I made sure to put an OPENED pack of cigarettes in the freezer - that way I'd avoid the temptation to buy a new pack of cigarettes. On top of that, I had a couple 1/2 smoked cigarettes that I left on the front porch, outside. I had to smoke those before I hit the ones in the freezer, and the ones in the freezer before I bought a new pack. I went for one of the 1/2 smoked cigarettes on day 2 or 3... 1 drag and I had no more urge to have a cigarette...

DO I want a smoke? You bet! Do I sometimes stand beside a smoker to get the second hand? Yup! Haven't had nearly the temptations that I did the last 2 times... I think this one's the final time. Professionally (engineering student), socially (friends don't smoke), financially, and most importantly - family wise - I can't afford to smoke...

The difference is, the people are coming to my house and drinking my beer. It's the least they can do. I'm not that big of an *******.

I'm not saying you're an ******* I'm the *******... I hate everyone :D

It doesn't annoy me any more, because I'm not smoking. But I know one guy that I've never seen smoke unless he was at my house drinking my beer and I went outside to have a cigarette. I've known him most of my life and I've never seen him smoke in public, not at the bar, not at the game, not at the concert, only when the damn mooching SOB is in my yard. I like the guy but that one thing used to really annoy me.

I dont smoke as much anymore, smoked for the past 14 years. YUCK!!!
I do have one once and awhile when im out with friends who smoke and I have a few brews in me. I would rather spend my money on something else though as the price for ciggs is so high.

everyone i know who's tried that quits taking it after 7 days because they cannot deal with the nightmares / vivid dreams it causes as a side effect.

Eh, I never had any nightmares or anything but that is a possible side effect

dataz722 said:
Question for everyone taking Chantix. Are you still taking it? Ive heard that it works amazing but the moment you stop taking it you will start smoking again. From what I understand its because you are actually still addicted to the nicotine its just that the Chantix blocks the receptors in your brain and your body thinks you are still getting the nicotine............. true or not?

I have no idea really, but chantix worked pretty good for me. I took it, smoked for the first week, and then quit. I probably took it at a bad time because I was getting married a few weeks later. I ended up buying a pack a few days before the wedding and another pack the day off (I planned on drinking heavily at the reception and wanted to enjoy myself). We left on our honeymoon and I bought a few packs of smokes in jamica. My last day in Jamaica I got pretty sick. Coincidentally, thats when I ran out of chantix aswell. Ever since then, I have not had the urge to smoke at all. I actually attempted to smoke a cigarette a few days ago because one of my coworkers is a big smoker and it was disgusting. SWMBO took chantix and failed though, so its not for everyone. +1 to chantix!! :mug:

everyone i know who's tried that quits taking it after 7 days because they cannot deal with the nightmares / vivid dreams it causes as a side effect.
I only wish I had vivid dreams. In fact, I had no real symptoms. My friend who tried it (and worked) was sick a lot, but nothing major.

I'm happy. Like I said, I still sorta smoke, but it beats the hell outta cigs.

I only wish I had vivid dreams. In fact, I had no real symptoms. My friend who tried it (and worked) was sick a lot, but nothing major.

I'm happy. Like I said, I still sorta smoke, but it beats the hell outta cigs.

ok. WHAT THE "H" IS HOOKAH?

i've heard of like hookah pipes, but i thought that people only smoked pot in them. i guess hookah is like the intended stuff?

This very well might be true, but I look at it like this. Smoking is two part thing, getting nicotine, and the "act" of smoking. Even if Chantix just subsides you nicotine craving only while you're on it, it helps you deal with one thing at once. First deal with the act (which in my mind is the harder of the two). Then when you get off the Chantix you can deal with the nicotine, which shouldn't be bad at all. You can go 8 hours of sleep with out waking up to cravings, so it shouldn't be bad.

On a seperate note I have some WILD dreams on Chantix. I wouldn't call them nightmares though.

I did Chantix as well.

I'm off the cigs, but I smoke hookah like a fiend. I do'nt know if that counts. I don't want a cigarette and when I do have one every few months I get all sick in the stomach and don't want another one.

I used to smoke hookahs till I read somewhere that you can actually get TONS of more nicotine from hookahs. And you're still getting all the bad stuff too. This is from a article in USA Today:
• Eissenberg says a hookah, which is smoked for about 45 minutes, delivers 36 times more tar than a cigarette, 15 times more carbon monoxide and 70% more nicotine.

• A study in the Journal of Periodontology found that water pipes smokers were five times more likely than non-smokers to show signs of gum disease.

• In a June 2004 study, Jane Henley, an epidemiologist at the American Cancer Society, found that men who smoked water pipes had five times the risk of lung cancer as non-smokers.

Wellbutrin did the trick for me :). 3 years, and now I only have a very occasional premium cigar.

Tyson

You and me are twins I guess. I quit 3 yrs ago with welbuitrin. It by all means is not a miracle pill, but helped. I also have the occasional cigar.

Four years ago I quit a 23 year pack a day habit cold turkey; no drugs, gum or patches. It sucked rhinocerous ass & I was jonesing hard. I found that eating a grapefruit (peel 'em & eat 'em like an orange) helped, so did those strawberry hard candies with the jelly in the center. For the frustration & rage that came with not smoking, I played violent videogames, it's rather satisfying when you slash, hack & shoot monsters & such. The 1 thought that kept me from smoking was this: If I start again now, I'll NEVER be able to get this far again. It wasn't easy, but I did it; and so can you. Good luck to you, GF.
EDIT: You know, if cigarrettes were shaped like dicks, most men would never have started smoking in the 1st place.

i always that that if i WAS gay, i would want a guy with a little cigarette-sized pecker. ya know, really small...that finishes really fast. sorry, was that off-topic?

This very well might be true, but I look at it like this. Smoking is two part thing, getting nicotine, and the "act" of smoking.

Yes. As an authorized "mental training coach" I'd like to add: Apart from nicotine beeing bad ass adictive it's a *huge* mental challenge to stop this kind of habit depending on your mindset.

The human mind acts and reacts largely to mental "images" and a big problem is that the mind sucks at understanding negations like the word "not".

As an examle, try *not* to think about the statue of liberty. No, really, don't think about the statue of liberty. OK, for the last time; get the image of the the statue of liberty out of your mind...NOW!

Lesson learned: In order to "not" do something (avoid it) the consious must constantly keep it "in mind". Since the mind acts on mental images "in mind" it is extremely tempting for the mind to give in to smoking if that's what you're focusing on not doing...

So, the trick is to reframe the negation into a "postive", like reframing "do not fall asleep" (which will evidently bring up a mental image of you falling asleep and your uncontious will act on that image) to "stay awake!".

With smoking it is pretty dificult to state a positive...however, if you can mentally reframe you wanting to stop smoking into a positive state like going from "i don't want to smoke" to "I want to get healthy" or "I want to save money" or "I want to look good with perky smooth skin on my face" or "I want my breath to smell good at all times" you'll be much more likely in succeeding.

H

i enjoy smoking cigarettes. i cut WAAAAY back because of the health issue. it's also easier to cut back because it's not widely accepted in my area.

just like i enjoy the act of smoking a spliff. i hate bongs. ya know, for tobacco ;)

I had a 1/2 to 1 pack a day habit for 17 years. Quit cold turkey in October. No gums, no pills, no patches. My MD did give me an Rx for Chantix, but I decided to try first without it. It sucked big-time. I'm finally to the point where I don't crave cigarettes and the smell of secondhand smoke is repulsing, not an invitation to join in. That said, I keep having these dreams where I catch myself smoking a cigarette. Crazy stuff, the human mind.

Back