I need a 12 volt usb charger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
Just like the title says. I bought a set of three speed computer fans that run off one USB charger. All of the Chargers I've found are nowhere near 12 volts so even on high speed they aren't moving as much air as I hoped. I'm testing them now on my new keezer with a coffin and it is staying 10 degrees warmer than the keezer. I still have to do a little more insulation and sealing of gaps on the coffin but I can tell already I need more power. Does anyone have any idea where I can find a 12-volt USB wall charger?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the technical specs say it operates on 3-7 volts but I'm sure I read something that said it could operate at 12 volts but I can't find it right now.

Give us a link to whatever fans you bought.
If they came with a USB plug on them, they're 5V fans.
Did you try running a single fan on any of your USB power supplies?

Cheers!

OK, I guess I was wrong. I might be in good shape though, I still don't have everything sealed up and insulated completely and in my testing the freezer was holding at 38-40 and the coffin was 7-8 degrees warmer and that is outside in my 95 degree garage. I taped foam insulation in strategic spots to help direct the airflow and that made a huge difference.
This keezer is going outside at our tiki bar in florida so I'm doing everything possible to keep the coffin cold.

I would look for a junk computer with a good power supply, you can get 12VDC easily, and 5VDC you could use to charge your phone.

the 12v charger isn't the number you're looking for, it's the amps of the charger. 1.5a power output will spin the fan slower than a 3.1a power charger. (think iphone charger vs ipad charger). 12v is the same for both. Amazon sells multi chargers that are for 3.2 amp outputs pretty cheap. I'd just cut off the usb part and wire it to an old cordless phone block charger from goodwill. lot cheaper.

Back