(I miessed up so bad) So I brewed my first batch....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmishAmbush

Reaction score
and I got everything in the fermentor. I was pretty pleased with myself. I used a "Brewers best" kit (European bock) and I go to bed. Imagine my horror when I look in the brewers best kit box and find a package of dry malt sitting in the box. Is it too late to salvage this beer? Is there anything I can do to reintroduce the malt into the beer? If I don't add it will the beer still be drinkable or did I waste 37.00?

Dave

I would take a quart of water and heat it up and add the malt to it. Boil it for about 10-15 minutes until dissolved well. Stir well to avoid scorching, and then cool it down to the temperature of your wort. Then gently stir it into your bucket being careful to not splash and cause oxygen.

If you don't add it, your beer is going to taste watered down.

So, you added the canned extract, but not the dried?

Did you happen to use a hydrometer and check the SG of the wort?

What you can do now is to dissolve that malt in some water, boil it for 15 minutes, then cool it in an ice bath and gently add it without splashing.

The amount of water would depend on the amount of malt you have there, but I'd use the least amount of water I could to dissolve that extract. You don't want to water down your beer.

Edit- what he said! He's faster than I am. One thing, though- no need to stir at all. Just gently pour it in.

Latest posts

Back