I messed up the grain bill, but will it matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I was brewing a honey porter. Thing is, I bought the grain a few weeks before I brewed. And for some reason the brew shop sells everything by the kilo, so if I need 200 grams, they charge be for 1000. So based on that, I bought basic stuff to fill the gap (since I was paying for it anyways, whether I needed it or not). I figured I'd incorporate it into my next brew.

But I bought my grain, and forgot that I bought more than necessary and when I brewed I just threw it all in. The end result? I was supposed to add a half lb of carastan, but ended up adding 1.2 lbs of it.

Here's what the recipe was supposed to look like. On a 5 Gallon batch;

7 Lbs of LME
1.5 lbs of honey
.75 Lbs of chocalate malt
.5 lbs of carastan
.25 lbs of black patent

.75 oz galena (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (1 min)

So I get that it'll taste different that the expected but will it be that significant, or even that bad/different? I made a similar mistake once with a nut brown and it turned out better than expected. Or maybe that's just my lowered expectations talking....

Is that the only thing on recipe that changed? If it is then really your end result should still be good even if not exactly what you were shooting for. It might raise your gravity a bit.

I'm just wondering if to much Carastan would even stand out in a porter. It's not like it's a pale ale.

I made a similar mistake but with roast barley in a stout. I'll find out in a few days how much damage I did. From the samples, I think not much, and RB is pretty strong. I don't know about carastan though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Carastan is only 40 Lovibond, and has a nutty toffee-ish flavour. I once mistakenly made a pale ale with it and LME, (subbed for crystal). NOT an appropriate mix. It's appropriate in nut browns, porters, stouts, etc. Black barley on the other hand is a lot more dangerous if you add way too much....But in a stout, it may not be as bad since it would be appropriate. Guess it depends on how big the mistake is. Anyways, good luck.

Back