I made a recipe and ordered it while druck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
Yep, I had one too many and decided to make a stout recipe and order it last night.

Now, keep in mind...this is my 3rd AG batch and my first AG recipe that I made up. I've made a couple PM recipes, though. This is only my second stout. I sort of just shot through the site picking out ingredients in amounts I thought would be ok without really using any references. I placed the order and had them put all the ingredients in one bag. Hope I didn't make a weird stout. Thoughts?

7.5 pale 2-row
1.5 Munich malt
14oz Chocolate malt
12oz Crystal 60
10oz Roasted barley
8oz Flaked barley
4oz Cara-pils

Haven't picked out hops yet. I do have a few ounces of 14 diff styles of hops in reserve. Also, I was considering adding fresh coffee to the secondary. Think this beer will resemble a stout? :drunk:

A little more Roasted barley than I generally use, but since there isn't any Black Patent, it looks fine.

Careful with the coffee, do the cold brew method and don't use a ton of it. I found 36oz was too much : P

But it will settle out as you let the beer age.

steve123 said:
Careful with the coffee, do the cold brew method and don't use a ton of it. I found 36oz was too much : P

But it will settle out as you let the beer age.

I just kegged my stout last night where I used 8 oz. of good, espresso ground coffee that I cold steeped and added to secondary. It's tasting awesome.

Looks like a really nice stout. I don't really see the need for carapils in a stout but it won't detract anything either.
1# of roasted barley is pretty common in stouts so I don't see how 10oz is too much.
I'm not much of a fan of flavor adjuncts so I won't comment on the coffee. I prefer my stouts to be all malt (I include roasted barley, flaked barley and flaked oats in this)

Craig

Latest posts

Back