I lost a stopper HELP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robm184

Reaction score
So Yesterday I made a Wheat Wine, Barley Wine just made with Wheat

So it had no activity the first day and it was something I thought it was just going to take off... anyway tonight right before I am heading to bed I see the krausen is about to hit the airlock, so rushed to get a tube and a jar.... So I quickly sanitize everything and I go to put the 6 1/2 stopper I use on all my fermenters and it went right threw and fell in :(....

Question 1: is this batch ruined?, will it somehow get some flavor from the rubber?
Question 2: should I move fermenters and just repitch some dry yeast?
Question 3: am I at a total lost regardless of what I do.... :confused:

Thanks in advance fellow HBers

Probably fine if you sanitized it well. Leave it in. Proceed with batch. I listened to Brewing Network's Can You Brew It for Green Flash WC IPA and Nate did the same thing. Turned out fine.

Just leave it and put another stopper in. I did the same
thing with my first batch. Go get it out when done, stick the corner of a kitchen towel in the hole. Flip the carboy upside down and pull on the towel and it will pop out.

Thanks... I have settled down a bit just because the last batch came out pretty terrific and this was a minor spin off of that.... Stupid stopper, oh well I guess in a couple weeks I'll know for sure....

One last question can I leave the tube the entire time or when should I go back to a normal airlock setup when everything settles down....

image-679354031.jpg

image-177519361.jpg

image-2600081621.jpg

image-2998018554.jpg

robm184 said:
One last question can I leave the tube the entire time or when should I go back to a normal airlock setup when everything settles down....

I never use airlocks on my primaries...I just leave the blowoff tube in the whole time (sometimes up to 5-6 weeks). As long as the end in the water stays underwater...you wont get anything in there.

I use the one piece S airlocks and they are a b***ch to clean, so I only use them in the rare case that I secondary a beer and run no risk of anything getting up in it.

Latest posts

Back