I like to parti, parti-gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markstache

Reaction score
I made a parti-gyled baltic porter and late hopped 'Merican amber lager today. I must say, parti-gyle rocks. I feel like I got two beers (5 gallons each, too) for the effort of 1.25 beers. I only had to set up, mash, and clean once. While the first was boiling, I let the second run off. The grain was all but dry. When the first was done boiling, it was just about the right time to boil the second.

We'll see how the beers turn out (there may be issues with low mash temps - damn you could weather!), but at this point, I'm very positively disposed to parti-gyle.

I've been researching parti-gyle brewing here lately, even to the point of using specialty grains to make two VERY different beers. (Ex. A pale and a brown ale) also been researching splitting batches at various stages to make different beers.

However, I'm already sitting on ingredients with no open fermenters and full fermenters without enough free bottles. Swmbo says to brew less I say I need more vessels

You can also brew smaller, in the sense that you make a small batch of something high gravity and a regular sized batch of something of more modest gravity. I think my next batches will be a 2 gallon RIS and a 5 gallon Scottish 60 or 70 /-.

It's freakin awesome. A friend and I just brewed a Doppelbock and then used third runnings for a sour. The third runnings had an OG of 1.038, and we wanted it a little higher, so we added 1/2 gallon of Doppelbock wort to it to bump it to 1.042.
The important thing about partigyles is being able to do it on the fly. It's very fun, just have your online calculators ready!

It's freakin awesome. A friend and I just brewed a Doppelbock and then used third runnings for a sour. The third runnings had an OG of 1.038, and we wanted it a little higher, so we added 1/2 gallon of Doppelbock wort to it to bump it to 1.042.
The important thing about partigyles is being able to do it on the fly. It's very fun, just have your online calculators ready!

I think it is a good suggestion to reserve a little of the first runnings to add back to the second beer. The goal being to get some of the flavor compounds that might be entirely rinsed out in the first sparge. This is something I meant to do, but forgot. Always room for improvement.

I agree on the twice the beer 1.25 effort and cost. I did a strong golden Belgian ale and a pilsner (ale) last year, and the brewing process went very well. To be honest the pilsner turned out to be one of my best beers, the Belgian ale is ok, I am hoping it gets better with age. I just posted in the recipe thread to get some feedback on a maibock + wheat parti-gyle recipe I want to try.

I recently did a parti-gyle batch with a RIS and a Chocolate Stout that came out at 5%.
Using Beersmith, I reduced the original grain bill to a yield of 30% then "capped" the bill with a few pounds of additional grain to achieve the color and OG for the new beer. The numbers hit dead on.
Ended up with 56 bottles of a very tasty 2nd runnings Stout with a 1.019 FG for about $10.

Thus far I've done these combos and have become a fan:

RIS & Milk Stout (with added lactose)
Tripel & Kolsch
Dubbel & Porter (with added roasted grains)
IPA & Pale Ale

Using Beersmith, I reduced the original grain bill to a yield of 30% then "capped" the bill with a few pounds of additional grain to achieve the color and OG for the new beer.

I did something similar. I figured out the average OG I needed between the two batches and made an 11 gallon recipe at 75% efficiency. Then I dropped it to 45% to get the hops for the big beer and reset it to 30% for the second beer to get the hops. Worked great.

Back