I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife Jan, nickname was JangoMango as a child because she loved climbing the mango tree in her backyard, picking the fruit and carving it right there in the tree and eating it fresh. She says our tree is to big, her poppa would never let it get as big as the one in our yard. The black spots according to her are because of to much sap. We will probably have it pruned back a bit at the appropriate time of year. For now just enjoying some very sweet beautiful mangoes....and a lot of mango tree twigs, and sticks and leaves rubbish. It’s worth the hassles. [emoji1]

Wow! Incredible to see the thread still active. Love all the news and updates.

I feel like I'm climbing back into the real world again. Since August of last year, my mother was diagnosed with Dementia. She had fall in January, a brain bleed, and a minor stroke. The long term prognosis was not good. Hospital --> Rehab --> Hospital. She tried to escape the rehab facility with some other residents. We finally got her into a memory care unit in February and unfortunately she passed in March in her sleep. She was 88, had a great husband, a great family, and a great life. My son wrote a cool Facebook post that we had him read at the funeral: https://www.facebook.com/tevacek/posts/10102431887300783

But, here is what has consumed my life since March: Working to empty a ~4500 sq. ft. house of organized hording!!!! Every weekend and many week nights has been moving furniture, parsing papers (Dad printed off every tax return (and workbooks) since 1990), and sorting through 20 gal tubs of seasonal crap. How can you have 2-3 20 gal. tubs of just Thanksgiving napkins and plates. The local goodwill guys actually knew my name.

We had a couple gatherings where I would hold up pictures and ask, "Anyone know who the heck this is?" If everyone shook their heads, that one got tossed. I kept all the serious family history including mom's photo albums. Turns out she was in grade school with Warren Buffet at Rose Hill Elementary. We even stumbled into the tub of 8 mm movies. Think we need to have a gathering to watch some.

I've found a Wonder Bread Aircraft Spotter Dial, an Argus C3 camera (Colin used one in a Harry Potter movie), Las Vegas Hotel Ashtrays and Matchbooks, and a smooth haired Ken doll (auction guy offered me money for it). I'm still sorting the coins and Lionel trains.

Mom was born in 1930 and one of her high school scrapbooks was filled with cutout pictures of Eisenhower, Churchill, the US Army Air Force Generals, etc. She even kept all of the kid's childhood mementos. Good and bad. Found an envelope labeled "Dad and Johnny's Big Argument". It contained my torn up driver's license from 1975!

Here is one of my favorite finds (zoom to check out the prices):

View media item 70347
View media item 70348
Opus

Last edited:
I’m sorry for you and your family’s loss Opus.

Glad to see you back here. I can imagine all the memories, history coming back so vividly from your folks belongings, history of your lives. It’s pretty cool my friend.

Best to you and your family

Cheers
Dan

opus, you and your family have my sympathy.

Dementia is a terrible condition.

My father died from complications of Alzheimer's. The last 2 times I saw him he didn't remember me. The last time when he was told, "This is Ralph, your oldest son." He said, "No, Ralph is dead."

I told a coworker when I got back from the funeral and she told me "So you lost him twice." Once in his memory and once when he died.

Devastating disease, for everyone involved.

My father died from complications of Alzheimer's.

Ralph, condolences and I totally agree about the nature of these diseases.

With mom, we started to call it time travel and would usually play along. During one visit in the hospital in Omaha, she started to apologize to everyone in the room for making them come out to the hospital in California. Mom hated flying and at the end of that visit she begged me to make sure she could take the California Zephyr home.

On one visit with my wife, mom starts to whisper and ask if we are getting a bunch of money from the layers for this. I ask her what she was talking about. She tells me, "Oh come on John, everyone knows you pushed and knocked me down and that is why I'm in the hospital." My wife look at each other with shock on our faces and then both try to explain to Mom that that is not what happened. She responds with, "John, you abused women all your life. If that is what you want, then we don't have to talk about it in front of the nurses, OK?" We think there might have been some repressed memories surfacing from her childhood.

I've decided that if I'm stricken with this disease, I'm going to model my behavior after Leslie who was one of Mom's friends at the memory care unit. Leslie would paint and sculpture his finger nails and spent most of his time in his bathrobe. He introduced himself to my brother the first week, put his arm around Jim and told him, "you know, your a fine looking man." The staff told us that one day Leslie came out of his room with his toilet seat around his neck and it took them some time to get him to give it up. I actually missed getting to see Leslie and interact with him.

Opus, I completely agree. Our past, our ancestors live on with our presence. That makes sense I think.

Makes a person sometimes wonder as a parent and as a child, if they did everything perfectly. Answer there is something my dad said a couple days before he passed on.

Everybody (my interpretation to everybody is most everyone) lives their life the best they can. We all have trials and tribulations, it makes us human beings

I believe you see great joy in your parents lives and are here to carry that on in your life and your children’s lives

Passedpawn had something to say about that a few years ago to me.

Andrew you still around, do you remember that? If you do please say again.

I rarely get on this this website and forums these days

Truly hope uthose who have participated still check this thread. I’m not on it daily like I was a time ago
B
Miss the banter. Right now? Missing You all of course l

I miss BobbyLynn a lot. I hope she is ok

Cheers
Dan

Dan, you're an example of when the internet is used for good. It's nice to just chill out, type about something you're happy or concerned about, and get a positive reaction. And everyone in this thread is still mostly writing full sentences, making an effort to spell correctly, and not using abbreviations at every opportunity.

Last edited:
Aloha![emoji16]
To you all
I’ve been hanging around this place for about ten years. Know what? I’ve met some wonderful people along the journey. For that I’ll never be sorry.

Mahalo
Aloha Nui Loa
Dan Dawson

Well, after my family and I completely moved out of the rental we were living in for a year and a half after my wife took a nice job offer, we went to get some stuff out of a storage unit today to bring to the new house, and the stuff in the back half of our storage unit showed signs of water damage. I'm glad I bought as many heavy duty totes as I did, but lots of stuff was still in boxes, and some of my father-in-law's homemade furniture was directly on the floor. Two even more antique pieces show some signs of damage.

So now I get to research antique furniture repair in my area, beg my father-in-law to help fix some of the furniture he made, and sort through boxes of stuff to determine what can be saved and what can't be saved.

On the plus side we've been having a good visit with some family who live far enough away that we only get to see them once a year. We're also going to a pro baseball game with some old college friends later this week.

Aloha
I had surgery on my knee a four days ago. All is well. Amazing surgeon. A humble guy with truest skilled hands.

I really don’t like going to doctors. My phobia.- I feel they will see me as all the wrong I’ve done to my body over the years.

I need to get over that thought, I know

Many wonderful healers in this world who don’t judge.

I

Hello. Man I’ve been off work three weeks. It’s kinda nice

Li still need to put 13-15 more years in before I actually use ssn retirement. Not even close to that now

May you never loose hope
May sunshine be with you
Daniel
Dawson

Aloha
I had surgery on my knee a four days ago. All is well. Amazing surgeon. A humble guy with truest skilled hands.

I really don’t like going to doctors. My phobia.- I feel they will see me as all the wrong I’ve done to my body over the years.

I need to get over that thought, I know

Many wonderful healers in this world who don’t judge.

I

What did they do? Was it a replacement?

But I’ve been off work for a month. Cool at first. First week. Then eff boring. Good things were. Went to a dermatologist, dentist, orthopedic surgeon and periodontitis and had some blood test

All in all. Scary answers I’ve not done well taking care of my body or gums. But they’re first world problems.

One thing having all this month off. Doctor visits. Something many of us don’t do because we’re busy working

I’ve figured out why people live soling these days. Retire and spend most of your time at various types of doctors offices and drugstore farmicies

Eff. Is that my future

Wow. I had some settings wrong on my phone. Couldn’t find any of my favorite threads that would normally come ap as Participated or Subcsribed

Had to do a search for them

I texted Passedpawn and Yooper and asked what’s up? I can’t see my favorite threads. They both told me nothings changed in that aspect of HBT and maybe I should check my iPhone settings

I kinda went wtf, bmrph. Noting wrong with my phone

End to the boring story it was my phone settings screwing things up

Just walked by this. It’s served a couple weddings. Not good for everyday use. It still look effing good. I built it for my daughter’s wedding
IMG_0001.JPG

Yooper and Passedpawn can be pretty helpful.

That is a really nice keg serving station! I assume that you build in some kind of refrigerated storage in the bottom?

My wife is preparing for our daughters Yakudoshi. Some ancient Japanese superstition of warding off evilness at certain times of life. Different time whether you’re a boy or girl

She’s the mom and a crafter. She decided to make....ah shoots, what do the girls call them? Party favors, something like that

IDE show a picture of one but can’t find her example.

I’m really imperfect. I don’t have the patience to do what she’s doing. I’m more big project, medium big.

She’s made around 70 of these. She thought she could do it with a jigsaw. I showed her how to use my Rigid compound saw to make repeated cuts

The boxes aren’t all perfect but most people wouldn’t even notice. She’s got little bridges she made that will go into the box, that some pebbles and plants

If I’m being honest. This is one of the toughest most beautiful things my wife has made
Except our daughter:)

It’s a little box that has some Flores in it and a little bridge.
I’ll show

Kitty’s name Not sure anymore we gave him one. He’s traveled between Hawaii California Hawaii again. He has actually a name last name Dawson. But we’ve been calling him little boy for about 14 years or so

I need to go. I’ve been literally waiting for paint to dry on A project i started earlier to day

Were suppose to have a Labor Day party Monday. My wife’s doing.
There’s a bunch of stuff I need to do to make that not a disaster

I’ll talk to you all a little later

Aloha
Dan Dawson

To my Florida friends. Hang tight. Seems like storms keep heading your way. Don’t be a hero and ride them out. Hurricane season should be over in a few months. Please stay safe

I really like early apple season. There are lots of good apples available, like Zestars, Sweetango, and new to me this year was a variety called FirstKiss.

Once the late apples come in it's just a mad rush to process apples into stuff like applesauce, apple butter, etc, while eating so many Honeycrisp that you get so sick of apples that you don't want to see another apple for months.

That said, while I'm on this side of Honeycrisp season I'll say bring on the Honeycrisp. Those apples are fantastic.

It looks great Pappy! I love the idea that you can fold it away. You’re right about sealing the ends, please do that. At work we are only given solid core (not solid wood) doors to use for outdoor closets and sometimes back doors. That’s terrible here in Hawaii. If they don’t get sealed on the ends very well the MDF will soak up moisture like a sponge. The door will swell and veneer crack.

Yep, you were right, that door bloated like a dead carp. I grabbed a bunch of 1x10s from home depot and used biscuits and lots of glue to sew them together into a new top. It's pine, so not as hard as the poplar or oak, but that stuff was pretty expensive. If it was for inside, I might have made it with those.

upload_2019-9-27_14-6-22.png

Back