I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the recipe I'm brewing today. 75 minute mash 90 minute boil cause of the Pilsner. No idea how this will turn out. Fermentation temp will be controlled this time.

Brewing Steps: Northern Brewer Blonde
Blonde Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 01 May 2016
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal Brewer: Big Dawg
Boil Size: 7.51 gal Asst Brewer: Mama Dawg
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Keggle and Cooler
Final Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0
Taste Notes: mash stabilized at 151 after i stirred good
mash temp five minutes in after another good stir - 150
going to leave alone for 70 more minutes 1126

Prepare for Brewing

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Total Water Needed: 9.18 gal

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 46.4 %
3 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 31.6 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 16.9 %
4.8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.5 %
4.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.5 %

Mash Steps Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 15.81 qt of water at 162.6 F 148.0 F 75 min

Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 5.23gal) of 168.0 F water

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 7.51 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.045 SG
Boil Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.80 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 20.7 IBUs
1.20 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.50 oz Perle [7.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 3.9 IBUs

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 6.76 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.052 SG
Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 6.00 gal
Fermentation Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.0 pkg Nottingham Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP039) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -

Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.052 SG)
Measure Actual Batch Volume _______ (Target: 6.00 gal)
Fermentation
01 May 2016 - Primary Fermentation (14.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F) Primary Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.20 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 10 -

Dry Hop and Prepare for Bottling/Kegging
Measure Final Gravity: _________ (Estimate: 1.008 SG)
Date Bottled/Kegged: 15 May 2016 - Carbonation: Keg with 12.54 PSI
Age beer for 30.00 days at 65.0 F
14 Jun 2016 - Drink and enjoy!
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

e

Just coming up to the thirty minute mash time. I shouldn't have but did pull off the lid and take a temp reading. 150! Two degrees higher than intended but still a good range for the beer I'm making.
Cheers! I haven't brewed in a while. This is super exciting for me[emoji3]

Glad to see you're getting to brew some Dan. Love the flower picture. Is that a native type flower just to your region?

Glad to see you're getting to brew some Dan. Love the flower picture. Is that a native type flower just to your region?

I'm not sure of their name. Very heavy they are, no aroma. Quite pretty though. A friend of my daughters gave a bunch of them to us for a fundraiser. They wrre from her backyard Plenty left over. My wife is taking some to the vets cemetery in Kaneohe. Her dad and mom are buried there. She has lots of flowers with her and is going to spread the love. [emoji18]

My brew club (LabRat Homebrew Society) at SCHF last weekend.

Labrat 2016.jpg

Hey LRB! [emoji1]

Looks like a blast! Truly digging the lab coats. My wife and I went to a costume party years ago and I dressed up like a mad scientist. Lab coat, Albert Einstein wig, pocket protector with a pen, thermometer and refractometer jammed into it. My first all grain brew day came up shortly after that and I seared the coat. Wife got a bunch of goofy pictures. It was fun. I've only been brewing since 2009 but had a three year break because of the move here. I so want to brew in a lab coat, slippers and shorts again. Haha. Will too! [emoji4]

Hey LRB! [emoji1]

Looks like a blast! Truly digging the lab coats. My wife and I went to a costume party years ago and I dressed up like a mad scientist. Lab coat, Albert Einstein wig, pocket protector with a pen, thermometer and refractometer jammed into it. My first all grain brew day came up shortly after that and I seared the coat. Wife got a bunch of goofy pictures. It was fun. I've only been brewing since 2009 but had a three year break because of the move here. I so want to brew in a lab coat, slippers and shorts again. Haha. Will too! [emoji4]

Picts my brother! I want to see that!

Killer picts Dan of the brewday...

Cheers
Jay

Cheers
Jay

I have till November to build a beer dispenser for my daughter's wedding. I needs be ready and in place by 1/15/16

She wants a half barrel of some BMC type and a Heineken, and some home brew from me.

I'm trying to remember details.

BMC a Sanke fitting. D fitting?

Heineken a (what) fitting?

Beer line 3/16" ID all around?

Barb size for 3/16" tubing. Quarter or 5/16"?

Please help. At one time I might have been sure I knew the answers to these questions but I've been out of brewing and serving brew for a while now. My memory is faded 🙃[emoji5]️

Mahalo nui loa kukola
Dan

I think I got the last thing mostly correct in Hawaiian, just before my name. (Which is my real name)

I think I said in Hawaiian "Thank you very much for your kindness and help". That's what I meant. [emoji41]

Picts my brother! I want to see that!

Killer picts Dan of the brewday...

Cheers
Jay

Cheers
Jay

Hahaha. I'll have to see if I still have them Jay. I'm pretty sure they went out on Facebook at one time. My wife is the FB person here. I'll ask her

BTW Jay, the false bottom you sent me is amazing! My past experience with a different makers false bottom was, I had to do a lot of vorlauf but with your false bottom . . The wort flowed clearly almost immediately and the flow rate was better.

I don't want you to get a big head so I'll let you know if I can ever get a stuck sparge using your false bottom; which I honestly don't see happening any time ever. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Cheers Jay!

Danielson

I have till November to build a beer dispenser for my daughter's wedding. I needs be ready and in place by 1/15/16

She wants a half barrel of some BMC type and a Heineken, and some home brew from me.

I'm trying to remember details.

BMC a Sanke fitting. D fitting?

Heineken a (what) fitting?

Beer line 3/16" ID all around?

Barb size for 3/16" tubing. Quarter or 5/16"?

Please help. At one time I might have been sure I knew the answers to these questions but I've been out of brewing and serving brew for a while now. My memory is faded 🙃[emoji5]️

Mahalo nui loa kukola
Dan

I think I got the last thing mostly correct in Hawaiian, just before my name. (Which is my real name)

I think I said in Hawaiian "Thank you very much for your kindness and help". That's what I meant. [emoji41]

IIRC all kegged beer in the US uses a Sanke connection for the tap.

Homebrew cornys will be either Ball Lock or Pin lock.

Hey Late Nighters!

Did you ever see the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where Larry goes to the hospital to see his new girlfriend? While in the bathroom, Larry overhears one end of a very angry, offensive cell phone conversation that has numerous N words used. Larry repeats what the man said to a friend and another doctor, a black man, overhears and thinks Larry's a racist. Of course, hilarity ensues.

Last night I had one of those moments.

My son and I went to Popeye's after his baseball game. We ordered and had to pull up to wait for our chicken. I had my window open.
My son had a good game. He pitched a few innings and one inning he struck out the side. We were talking about that inning and I said " You should have seen the score book. Three batters, three Ks. K K K!"

Just then I looked up and saw a girl from Popeye's, yes, a black girl, standing at the window with our order in her hand and a disgusted look on her face. I tried to explain what I was talking about, but I don't think she bought the explanation.

I not too sure that we should go back to that Popeye's... Ha!

Good morning guys, back at work. Grrrr it's amazing how fast two off days goes by. Wednesday I kinda got lazy and slept in, went to church that night and generally just kicked back a bit.

Thursday I got up early, cooked breakfast and was running the weedeater by 730AM. The 60" mower has drastically reduced my mowing time and I was able to get everything trimmed and mowed by 430 or so.

Next up on the chore list was to get some tomatoes planted. As much as I despise borrowing stuff, I was left with no choice but to borrow a small garden tiller from a friend. He was glad to offer, but I still hate having to do that.

I hate to admit that it's been several years...Ok, many more than I need to list since I last planted a garden. I've lost all knowledge of the stuff my grandfather instilled in me on basic planting. As I set and pondered over the freshly tilled soil, I was downright humiliated at myself for not knowing the best way to plant friggen tomatoes. My gut was telling me to make a furrow and plant them level to the ground. But then I got to thinking that if I made a mound, it would provide better rooting area, plus allow me a way to capture some runoff from the slight slop above the garden. I recalled that you do not want to let the tomatoes and leafs touch the ground and thought the mound would be the best way to go.

After I got them in the ground, I was still not happy with my decision. My gut was still saying I should put them in a furrow. Anyway, I set out about 40 plants of better boys and a few other odd varieties. I plan on stopping at the farm store tomorrow morning when I get off work and buy a flat or two of Romas. I should be able to get a few more feet tilled and them set out and hopefully be in bed by 11 if I get off in time.

I have about 20 other types of seeds that I want to plant and will start on them Monday when I get off work. As I was hoeing up the mounds, I was like dammit Kenny, it would have been easier to go to the farmers market at buy a few bushels of these things and be done with it. lol. The small tiller that I have does not have a furrow attachment on the back, so that means I must make do with the old school elcheapo hoe method.

Since the garden spot is quite a ways from the house, I used a 100 gallon cattle tub on the back of my truck to shuttle water. It was slow going letting the water run by gravity, but at least I was not having to haul it by the buckets. I had found a old sump pump in the chicken house that was once used for the fogger system. I was excited to still see this thing work at first. It will empty a 100 gallon tank out in just a few minutes. My idea was to use a inverter hooked up to my truck battery to power this up. Sadly when I plugged it up, I guess it draws too many amps because it wouldn't do anything. I'm a lil surprised the 9amps was too much for the inverter. Back to gravity flow.

A little more about this pump, because I'm really thinking it might make a decent carboy or keg cleaner. I mean it is free afterall, but it's looking pretty rough having set unused beside a chicken house for several years. God only knows what parasites was living in the thing. I'm thinking about breaking it down, stripping the flaking paint off and applying a fresh coat of Rustolium on it and seeing what I can do with it. I'm not sure what Oxyclean would do to the metal on the inside or outside.

I'll attach a picture from the web of the pump and later today grab a actual picture to see what you guys think. It flows 45GPM with a 18' head. It would probably lift a carboy up a few inches. lol It sucks seeing a perfectly working pump and not being able to put it to use doing something. But while it works fine now, it'll take some scraping to get it clean enough to use for brewing needs and even then I'm still not sure. Worst case, I'll use it to transfer collected rain water over to the cattle tub and carry to the garden. If I so dared, there is about 6-8 more of these guys submerged in barrels dug into the ground beside the old chicken houses. The frogs would be quite pissed!

Pump-L.jpg

I bought 4 more pepper plants. This time I got 2 Carribean Peppers and 2 Ghost peppers. These are supposed to be some of the hottest peppers in the world. Or so that's what they say. lol. I think next week, I'm going to transplant all the peppers I planted last week in the planters over to the garden spot. I have six to a barrel and it's been my worry that these will be crowded when they mature. I may leave some just for easy picking, but will probably pluck half of them out and move.

Anyway, I'll close the night out with a few pictures. I could sure use some of my granddads advice about this time, but I will press on and fly with it. If I get pepper flavored corn and tomatoed flavored okra from cross breeding, well I guess I'll enter it into the transgender category at the county fair and see what I win. lol

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Forum-Stuff/i-
MWQ6bjH/0/L/20160505_164758-L.jpg

20160505_165516-L.jpg

20160506_181526-L.jpg

20160506_181613-L.jpg

20160506_181746-L.jpg

Bigken, man oh man you've been busy!

The question you ask; I humbly state you already know the answers to. Enthusiasm in m y humble opinion goes two ways.
Detrimental or instrumental.

You do what is right for you and yours at this time. No apologies

Good afternoon to you!
Just got off the phone with an old friend. We served together for three years. In the Navy. that' is like a lifetime in my world.

Pretty crazy I called him today. He is a good, good man

That is all

Morning everyone. I'm paying the price of staying up yesterday morning, but I managed to transplant 18 peppers and set about 8 new ones out. This gives about 45 pepper plants if they survive.

The more I look at those dang tomatoes, the more I've talked myself into gently moving them off the mound and re-tilling the soil. After a watering this morning, it's quickly becoming apparent the soil is just going to wash down the side of the mound and expose the roots.

So, I guess I'll skip service in the morning and go work on this before bed. I should be able to use a spade shovel and gently dig them up. Make about 4 passes with the tiller to level the ground and re-plant them.

Live and learn I guess. My grandfather probably did a 360 in his grave with my decision. lol. At least the soil is still somewhat loose. The good thing is that it will allow me to move the row over closer to the edge and I should be able to gain at least one extra row of something.

As for brewing..........With yard mowing season in full swing, a new garden and summertime PR events at work, it's not looking good for me to fire up the burners for a while. Not that I need any right now, but sadly I bet it will be fall before I have the time to brew again unless I can squeeze one in on a rainy weekend.

Anyway, hope ya'll are having a good weekend.

Ken

Suspenders [emoji1]

I love those things. My wife bought me some because I told her my pants fall down all day and I got to keep pulling them up. In my new job there is tons of junk about my belt so it gets pulled down

So suspenders. I love them [em over aemoji3]

Ps. They are like underwear. I wear them under my shirt over a t-shirt. Occasionally at the end of the day I take off my outer shirt. Something about that turns my wife's head. Other women too. Freaky.

Dan, cut back on the boiled okra. It helps prevents slippage. Helps keeps the socks up too. Lol

Who would have ever thought the smell of fresh tilled soil could ever smell so good. This morning when I got home from work, I changed out of my uniform and hurriedly hit the ground running with the tiller. I knew it was going to be a long day, but the bounty of the work will be tenfold later – or so I kept telling myself.

As I was working the garden spot to prepare for seeding, I couldn’t help but feel a lil nostalgia in the air as I was stepping along behind tiller in the soft tilled soil. The sounds and smell of the fresh plowed ground carried me back about 35 years ago when my grandfather was alive – and at the time, the only male role model I had in my life since this was before mom and dad was married. While the crooked rows did not reflect it, or the spacing between the seeds prove it, I could still hear his voice guiding, coaching, encouraging as I dropped the seeds to their new home.

Fast forward 35 years and 12 hours later, I lay on the sofa in complete agony. Legs cramping, back hurting, ankles throbbing. If Grandpa could see me today, he would laugh and tell me to get back at it son. Funny to think how those of our older generation could and still do work laps around us. Lol

Today we planted a lot of items that could very easily just be purchased at the store on the cheap. Sure, I want to save money by having fresh food, but I also want that nostalgic feeling to return as I shell peas in front of the TV, or shuck corn under the shade tree and see the June bugs swam the fresh cut melons. Tomorrow I will get back at it, and the day after and so on. Heck, I might even take my shoes off and make an attempt at running through the garden.

Perhaps this is what a mid-life crisis really feels like. I dunno, certainly hope not, because tonight it involves gulping down mustard and eating bananas to chase the cramps away. Many opportunities lay ahead with the new residence that I’m at and I’m thankful for the blessings and mentorship that God has provided for me.

Send the rain Lord, let the bounty of this small crop feed those who are hungry.

Morning everyone. I'm paying the price of staying up yesterday morning, but I managed to transplant 18 peppers and set about 8 new ones out. This gives about 45 pepper plants if they survive.

The more I look at those dang tomatoes, the more I've talked myself into gently moving them off the mound and re-tilling the soil. After a watering this morning, it's quickly becoming apparent the soil is just going to wash down the side of the mound and expose the roots.

So, I guess I'll skip service in the morning and go work on this before bed. I should be able to use a spade shovel and gently dig them up. Make about 4 passes with the tiller to level the ground and re-plant them.

Live and learn I guess. My grandfather probably did a 360 in his grave with my decision. lol. At least the soil is still somewhat loose. The good thing is that it will allow me to move the row over closer to the edge and I should be able to gain at least one extra row of something.

As for brewing..........With yard mowing season in full swing, a new garden and summertime PR events at work, it's not looking good for me to fire up the burners for a while. Not that I need any right now, but sadly I bet it will be fall before I have the time to brew again unless I can squeeze one in on a rainy weekend.

Anyway, hope ya'll are having a good weekend.

Ken

I think you did the right thing.

Hope all is well with our late nite crew here. It's a little early for me to be checking it, but I'm taking a break from grouting some tile and looking for any excuse to not get back to work :) I laid about 200 sq ft of travertine this wkend.

For your late night soundrack, Moby. I like this kind of odd retro beat.

Lord God Almighty let me tell the news
my head got wet in midnight dew
great God i been down on my bended knees
talking to a man from galilee
michael spoke and he sound so sweet
i thought i heard the shuffle of angels' feet
He put one hand upon my head
great God Almighty let me tell you what He said

[bridge:]
go tell that lonesome liar
go tell that midnight rider [???]
tell the gamblin', ramblin' backslider
tell them God Almighty gonna cut 'em down

[chorus:]
you might run on for a long time
run on, ducking and dodging
run on, children [?], for a long time
let me tell you God Almighty gonna cut you down

you might throw your rock [?], hide your head
work in the dark with your fellow men
sure as God made you rich and poor
you're gonna reap just what you sow

[chorus] x3

some people go to church just to signify
trying to make a date with a neighbor's wife
brother let me tell you just as sure as you're born
you better leave that woman alone

Last edited by a moderator:
Later night gardeners I need you help.

We have a deer situation...

Not long ago I set out a couple tomatoes that were started indoors. Between a late frost and the deer they are gone.

Today I found my hops voraciously trimmed by deer. I also have a bunch of seeds out, a few sprouts and I'd like to keep them.

The yard has some steep terrain and thicket on the boarders. So fencing is out. Reapplying sprays of piss, blood, eggs, peppers or whatever isn't too appealing. So I spent the better part of the afternoon stringing some crappie fishing line in openings and animal paths on the perimeter.

Apart from a bunker and land mines any suggestions on a good cheap deer blocker? The options of motion detector lights and water look interesting but they seem expensive for their short lifespan.

Brewskies for the fallen maters n hops.
Cheers

Last edited:
Nice to see people more long winded than me
Cause I can make a story very long in that please agree
Writing about your day in such a humble way
It's good and great and truly made my day
The honesty and heartfelt, the sharing is great
Please never stop, and don't hesitate
It's like a gift from above just like Noah's dove
In so many ways connects mankind with love
What truly hit me strong in these readings
Was of the tilled dark rich earth and a grandfather's teachings

Cheers to you all. To you!

I do enjoy writing. Usually filled with misspellings and typos, but I enjoy sharing about my day - good and bad sometimes. Tis is easy when it's just me in the house.

I just came in from working outside all day. I'm beat. My granddad used to tell me.. "Son, let the tool do the work, don't let the tool work you". Friends, I've had my tail handed to me today. The area I planted today was rock solid and probably won't grow anything, but I dug in with everything I had. Covered it with sweat and some 13-13-13. Several rows more of corn, a extra roll of purple hulls, several hills of squash, pumpkins and zukini.

20160510_155856-L.jpg

I do enjoy writing. Usually filled with misspellings and typos, but I enjoy sharing about my day - good and bad sometimes. Tis is easy when it's just me in the house.

I just came in from working outside all day. I'm beat. My granddad used to tell me.. "Son, let the tool do the work, don't let the tool work you". Friends, I've had my tail handed to me today. The area I planted today was rock solid and probably won't grow anything, but I dug in with everything I had. Covered it with sweat and some 13-13-13. Several rows more of corn, a extra roll of purple hulls, several hills of squash, pumpkins and zukini.

20160510_155856-L.jpg

I always enjoy your posts, keep it up. I look forward to them.

Not long ago I set out a couple tomatoes that were started indoors. Between a late frost and the deer they are gone.

Today I found my hops voraciously trimmed by deer. I also have a bunch of seeds out, a few sprouts and I'd like to keep them.

The yard has some steep terrain and thicket on the boarders. So fencing is out. Reapplying sprays of piss, blood, eggs, peppers or whatever isn't too appealing. So I spent the better part of the afternoon stringing some crappie fishing line in openings and animal paths on the perimeter.

Apart from a bunker and land mines any suggestions on a good cheap deer blocker? The options of motion detector lights and water look interesting but they seem expensive for their short lifespan.

Cheers

I hear you say fencing is out, but I've got a bunch of the stuff linked below behind my house and it works great.

4' Deer Fence

81XfNpDPI7L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers

Reading this reminds me of a fictitious TV Disney show. The name evades me, but it was related to a young group of baseball players needing grass on their field. The job was tasked with a old custodian or something like that and he sprinkled bags upon bags of hair clippings around the field. By game day, they had green lush grass.

Now I dunno if this works or not, but I guess you could try laying a few "cornrow's" in the corn row. lol Not sure if this would lead to sagging plants or not, but it would let the other plants know they were avaliable for pollinating. lol

Latest posts

Back