I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BB. Hit me with that recipe. The kids love making soda and having it on tap. I think they're getting bored of the go to Ginger Ale and easy Rootbeer though.

The kids love making soda and having it on tap. I think they're getting bored of the go to Ginger Ale and easy Rootbeer though.

I hear kola nut and coca leaf make a delicious and wholesome soft drink for the youngin's.

I've never had a lambic of any kind before. Since every other kind of beer I've had has landed somewhere between Meh, and Ugh, I thought I'd start trying some different lambics.

I love Lindemann's Cuvee Rene Gueuze as it is a nice lemony sour. Their fruit lambics are all way too sweet - the cherry in kreiks should be quite tart, not cough syrup / Hawaiian Punch flavored. Boon is good if you can find it. Fond Tradition is a good gueuze, but a little sweeter than Lindemann's.

Rodenbach Belgian ale is very sweet, sickly sweet to my taste, but Rodenbach Grand Cru is a bit dryer and is very good.

Lambics blew my mind when I first started sampling them, it was a real eye opener about what beers could be. I'm going to take the plunge and try to brew some buggy sours. I just ordered the necessary for a Berliner Weisse, and I think a lambic will be in the pipeline shortly.

snaps10 said:
BB. Hit me with that recipe. The kids love making soda and having it on tap. I think they're getting bored of the go to Ginger Ale and easy Rootbeer though.

For 5 gallons it was
4.5 lbs cane sugar mixed with 1/2 cup of lemon juice and quart of water, boiled to 225 degrees to invert
1 lb lactose
1/2 cup vanilla extract
1/2 almond extract

I'm not sure if you need to invert the sugar, but the lemon juice definitely needs to be there.

I want to make some fierce ginger beer next.

For 5 gallons it was
4.5 lbs cane sugar mixed with 1/2 cup of lemon juice and quart of water, boiled to 225 degrees to invert
1 lb lactose
1/2 cup vanilla extract
1/2 almond extract

I'm not sure if you need to invert the sugar, but the lemon juice definitely needs to be there.

BB Whats your conversion on your Vanilla extract I have some Mex and some Moroccan naturals as well a couple I make using different beans.
Just unsure of concentrations mine are close to 3x store bought:D

BB Whats your conversion on your Vanilla extract I have some Mex and some Moroccan naturals as well a couple I make using different beans.
Just unsure of concentrations mine are close to 3x store bought:D

Mine is super strong too. I put 8 Madagascar beans in a 375ml bottle a year ago. I think that's at least 4 fold. Vanilla ice cream baby!

Beer , Art, and Polka.

Local Artists have created beer themed art to be sold that evening. Each piece will be letterpress printed on our small batch, handcrafted beer paper. The paper will be made with the finest quality spent grain from an Octoberfest Lager brewed here in Lincoln by Modern Monks Brewery.

http://nebraskabeer.blogspot.com/2013/09/hoptober-pressed-beer-art-polka.html

I couldn't think of a better way to spend an evening.

Got BM's Centennial Blonde starting to boil this afternoon. Gonna be a good day here. Hope the Huskers take care of business. The defense didn't look too good last week.

opus345 said:
Beer , Art, and Polka.

Local Artists have created beer themed art to be sold that evening. Each piece will be letterpress printed on our small batch, handcrafted beer paper. The paper will be made with the finest quality spent grain from an Octoberfest Lager brewed here in Lincoln by Modern Monks Brewery.

http://nebraskabeer.blogspot.com/2013/09/hoptober-pressed-beer-art-polka.html

I couldn't think of a better way to spend an evening.

That sounds really interesting! Now I've got to research spent grain paper making.

Leadgolem - if you can get a hold of an all Brettanomyces beer like Russian River offers, or Allagash Intelude, try them. Brettanomyces strains can create some vivid flavors. They generally show up in lambics as the funky "grandma's attic" or the famous "horse blanket" aromas, but certain strains make some very vivid fruit notes.

Cambridge Brewing Co. here in Mass. sells an all Brett. golden ale called Jack Straw on tap and locally, fermented with Brett. B. drei - lemony cherry mango notes, a pinch of sourness, all from the yeast. You'd think that someone put fruit punch in your beer, absolutely crazy flavors. I ordered a White Labs Brett. B. Trois which is said to have a similar profile.

Got to go for it. 10000 post.

I'm reminded of the old days when they would have a big celebration and prizes for the 10,000th customer to walk in certain stores.

Opus345, for being the 10,000th poster on HBT's 'I Like this Time of Night' thread you get...nothing, absolutely nothing. Except good-natured ribbing, of course :mug:

There are other "mass" fruit lambics that are still a lot better. Mort Subite Kriek or Framboise, for instance - the latter one is my very successful go-to for getting non-beer drinkers interested in beer.

Of course, if you can find something top notch like a Cantillon fruit lambic, no need to pass it up :).

Another interesting (and very delicious) style that wine drinkers especially tend to like are Flanders/Flemish reds. Some popular ones being Rodenbach Grand Cru, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Panil Barriquée, and America's very own New Belgium La Folie.

Boon Oude Kriek would be the best of the easier to find choices.

You should go wash your hands for typing Panil Barriguee into the same sentence with those other beers. Today, I was at a great bottle shop that is quite far from me and hence rarely visitied. Since I'd already spent a good bit of my beer budget at a brewery release and the selection is so much better than what I usually have to choose from, I was there for a while trying to make up my mind on what I wanted the most. I'd already talked some other shopper into Liefmans Goudenband instead of the Duchesse (which personally I don't think is much better than Lindemans Kriek), when they started talking about some pricier bottled they had tried. They went home with the store's only bottle of Panil Bariquee thanks to me. Just one of several good deeds I did for beer lovers today. :D

I love Lindemann's Cuvee Rene Gueuze as it is a nice lemony sour. Their fruit lambics are all way too sweet - the cherry in kreiks should be quite tart, not cough syrup / Hawaiian Punch flavored. Boon is good if you can find it. Fond Tradition is a good gueuze, but a little sweeter than Lindemann's.

Rodenbach Belgian ale is very sweet, sickly sweet to my taste, but Rodenbach Grand Cru is a bit dryer and is very good.

Lambics blew my mind when I first started sampling them, it was a real eye opener about what beers could be. I'm going to take the plunge and try to brew some buggy sours. I just ordered the necessary for a Berliner Weisse, and I think a lambic will be in the pipeline shortly.

There's a Cuvee Kriek that Emjay mentioned. I've actually never had it, but would like to. I've heard the Cuvee Geuze has gone down hill. Not that it's bad, but not as good as when they were releasing vintage dated bottles from 90s in the early 2000s.

Did I see you mention that you were considering doing an extract wild beer?

I'm reminded of the old days when they would have a big celebration and prizes for the 10,000th customer to walk in certain stores.

Opus345, for being the 10,000th poster on HBT's 'I Like this Time of Night' thread you get...nothing, absolutely nothing. Except good-natured ribbing, of course :mug:

An Attaboy from Dan would be the prize. Where is he? I suspect in Hawaii by now, but maybe they don't have the Internet there?

Took the boys to a car show today. Lots of eye candy as could be expected but this was especially bad ass, a bronze plated Cobra from Carroll Shelby's personal collection. His son lives over in Napa Valley, and a friend of mine had an opportunity to go to his home. He had a garage with 40 foot ceilings with Cobras put on racks 2 high around the outside walls. Anyway, this thing was cool.

image-759910545.jpg

Hey everybody!

Life's been in the way too much lately so haven't been around this great place.

Miss you folks. I'll catch up with you all soon.

Peace, love, and happiness to you.

May your wort chill well
Your forment truly swell
And may your great tasty beer
Give you something to cheer
To all friends; to fellow brewers tonight
Grain, hops, yeast and water
A brewers delight : )

Cheers

Dan

I went back and entered all the stuff you'ze guyz recommended into my phone as memos. That way I'll know what to look for next time. :) It took 4, 130 character limit, memos.

LG, You'e a very creative person no doubt about that. I cant wait till you lsy your hand at beer!

Boon Oude Kriek would be the best of the easier to find choices.

You should go wash your hands for typing Panil Barriguee into the same sentence with those other beers. Today, I was at a great bottle shop that is quite far from me and hence rarely visitied. Since I'd already spent a good bit of my beer budget at a brewery release and the selection is so much better than what I usually have to choose from, I was there for a while trying to make up my mind on what I wanted the most. I'd already talked some other shopper into Liefmans Goudenband instead of the Duchesse (which personally I don't think is much better than Lindemans Kriek), when they started talking about some pricier bottled they had tried. They went home with the store's only bottle of Panil Bariquee thanks to me. Just one of several good deeds I did for beer lovers today. :D

Panil is pretty inconsistent. Last year I had one that was quite possibly my favorite beer ever. Earlier this year I tried one that wasn't even good. :shrug:

LRB, I listened to that flip side episode the other night. It was interesting. It sure makes you think about how much you are drinking.

Emjay, you're right. The best thing about that lambic was the bottle. Though the bottle is a 12 ounce green glass bottle that will accept either a crown cap and/or a cork. Plus it's punted. Even if it is a different sized crown then my capper is designed for. I would say it was definately an inferior specimen of it's kind. Lacking in body, and very one dimensional. Cheap cherry flavoring and food coloring in a bud light, only with better head retention. Honestly though, I didn't hate it. It actually was more to my liking then the 5 barrel. To much bite for me in the 5 barrel. I'm not really a fan of tannin, or hops. The 5 barrel has both.

LRB, I'll have something for you once I'm sober enough to put it together. :)

Here's the avatar sized images. My favorite for an avatar would have to be the black and white with the hat. It's up to you though.

lrbavataralphacolorhatavatar.jpg

lrbavataralphacolornohatavatar.jpg

lrbavataralphadesathatavatar.jpg

lrbavataralphadesatnohatavatar.jpg

LG, You'e a very creative person no doubt about that. I cant wait till you lsy your hand at beer!
Why thank you Dan. I do think I should find something I really enjoy in the beer world first. Though I've got a good list of suggestions. :)

I've heard the Cuvee Geuze has gone down hill. Not that it's bad, but not as good as when they were releasing vintage dated bottles from 90s in the early 2000s.

Yeah, as demand increases they are putting some pretty young stuff on the shelves. It would probably be best to buy up a bunch and cellar it for a while. I still like it as it is a pretty aggressive sour. I kinda like a good mouth-puckering sourness.

Yep. I'm getting the Brett in this Tuesday probably.

Bust out the mash tun instead. I wouldn't make blue cheese from dried milk and I won't make wild beers from extract. I don't even like to use it for starters for brett. I've borrowed a friends ginormous pressure canner and am canning a 5 gallon batch of wort this week so I'll be set on wort for starters for at least a couple weeks. ;)

LabRatBrewer said:
LG, I was just trying to be funny by changing my avatar to black and white. Didn't mean for you to go to trouble, however those are awesome! Thank you.

It's obviously something he enjoys, so I doubt there was much trouble involved :mug:

For 5 gallons it was
1 lb lactose
1/2 cup vanilla extract
1/2 almond extract

This sounds really good. I've never made soda. Forgive me if my question is silly, but I'm assuming you add this mixture to 5 gallons of water and then force carb in a keg?

Also is that 1/2 cup of almond extract? Is it a store bought extract, or do you make your own like the vanilla?

Stauffbier said:
This sounds really good. I've never made soda. Forgive me if my question is silly, but I'm assuming you add this mixture to 5 gallons of water and then force carb in a keg?

Also is that 1/2 cup of almond extract? Is it a store bought extract, or do you make your own like the vanilla?

The sugar syrup and other ingredients add volume, I just stuck it in a keg and filled it until it was at ~5 gallons. Oh, and the lactose needs to be added in to the sugar syrup at the end until it becomes clear. Lactose is harder to dissolve so it really needs the heat. It was a half OUNCE of almond extract, store bought, McCormick brand. A half cup would knock your socks off, this amount just kind of plays on the vanilla flavor. Nobody noticed it until I pointed it out.

Latest posts

Back