I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep liquor in my fridge and freezer, not a liquor cabinet. I keep my meds in the pantry, not medicine cabinets. I guess I'm kind of backasswards...

My dog is cool as hell, but my cat is 18 years old. She's senile and needy.

Cause I'm old, least my daughter tells me that, and I do feel kind of old around her friends..

Gonna play an old man's song. Like this song a lot. Cheers! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of you folk started a "Bucket List" ?

You know, things you want to do before ya head off into ..you know, die
I haven't started one. Maybe I should.

I'm going to start with one. Maybe add to it as time goes by

1. I want to sit with Sean Connery, sip a single malt scotch. Talk with him about whatever. Aside from John Wayne. He's my next best hero.

Wow! Am I embarrassing myself or what? I don't care.

Would really like to brew with Dad. Just spend some time with him being a dad and son shooting the breeze; but he passed away 11 years ago. So that's off the list. Just thought I'd put it here in case he checks out HBT from heaven.

I guess I don't really have a bucket list of things to do before I die. I do have a longing to be with my kids. They're all older now. My son is a very good man and we live in the same state. About a six hour drive but we do get together when time permits. He's going to help me with moving crap out of this place in a month or so.

A bucket list, if I'm correct is not about regrets but what a person wants to do before they pass on. I guess I don't really have one yet. Just regrets on what I should have done differently.

's a good song, Dan.

SWMBO's away, got a glass of irish red and Indiana Jones & the last crusade on the DVD player... it's late nite here!

That, my friend, sounds like a very good night! Indiana Jones movies and a few good brews in the comfort of your home. Very, very nice! :mug:

Bobbi, you can house sit for me any time. But I haven't a liquor cabinet and don't brew often enough. Also, my dog is a jerk. :eek:

I'm pretty sure I was a drunken fool today. I was at my own home, so is that a mitigating factor?

Yep, that's a mitigating factor.

I think I already finished my bucket list. And called my friend to ask where the tums were instead of going through the medicine cabinet. I have to go back to sleep now. And I'm not sure if the dog is attacking the cat or the cat is attacking the dog or if they are just playing. There is no blood so all still seems well.

Leadgolem said:
It's interesting to me that L2B sent you an order with no shipping cost, and they wanted to charge me such a high one. I find that odd.

I like the champagne bottles. I wanted something with a crown, but that didn't require a bench capper. Do those need a bench capper, or is the spacing right for a lever action capper?
Shipping free on $75+, but I'm sure there are exclusions for "heavy items". These are great, I just slap them under my regular lever action capper to apply the crown cap.

's a good song, Dan.

SWMBO's away, got a glass of irish red and Indiana Jones & the last crusade on the DVD player... it's late nite here!

Thought I posted a reply earlier to this.. Maybe I did, but I don't know. Didn't see it. Maybe I forgot to hit the reply button. Maybe I've just had to many beers.

I'm doing a redneck restore on the laundry room. Putting down some peel and stick linoleum tile. I know its not much. Varmitman would probably carve the sleight and then peice them together. I'm just laying some tiles. I think it will last at least ten or so years.

Here I go again, spilling my guts. I don't really mind doing that here. I figure most people dont give a crap and will breeze by my posts and those that have a feel for who I am will read and understand. .

If I haven't already beaten a dead horse. I'm moving out of this house. I put a lot of work in to my home, wife made the front and back yard really nice. She has been in Hawaii the last two and a half years waiting for me to move there.

I'm giving this place up, it's not like it is a palace or something, but this is my palace. Wife, advertised it yesterday on CL. We've had 5 offers withing 24 hours.

There is a couple that responded with a long email saying they love our place (we posted pics) and they said they want to live here a long time and want to take care of this place as if it was there home.

Still have a bunch of emails to reply to and I'm happy but afraid it's so easy to rent this place out. It is my home. I'm just looking for good people to take it over and make it their own.

I think, I'm going to go with the family that inquired first. Already talked to them a bit, let them know this is a small house, that the yards require routine maitenance to keep things looking good. They said yes. Going to interview them on June 17th. I really hope they are who they seem to be. I'll be a landlord, and this is my home. Just want somebody to take care of it like I would.

Darn you Dan now you got me thinking about a bucket list. I can honestly say there is nothing I would like to do or have thought about doing and have not done yet.

Sweet. Did we ever agree on what temperature to have the preheated sparge water system set for?

How does one make climbing spurs?

Compared to most other retailers, yes. Since I'm in Denver I'm about equal distance from both east and west coast suppliers. Usually shipping on 24 large bottles, either wine or bomber, would be 25-30$. Then the rest of the order would have separate shipping costs. Not something the retailers tell you, but you can figure it out by messing with the orders a little. NB shipped the whole order to me for 13.95.

It's interesting to me that L2B sent you an order with no shipping cost, and they wanted to charge me such a high one. I find that odd.

I like the champagne bottles. I wanted something with a crown, but that didn't require a bench capper. Do those need a bench capper, or is the spacing right for a lever action capper?

Well I had some old metal laying around so I bent it and welded some spikes on it. I would take a photo but they are in the back of my pickup right now. I am sure my wife will document the whole thing though :p

Here I go again, spilling my guts. I don't really mind doing that here. I figure most people dont give a crap and will breeze by my posts and those that have a feel for who I am will read and understand. .

If I haven't already beaten a dead horse. I'm moving out of this house. I put a lot of work in to my home, wife made the front and back yard really nice. She has been in Hawaii the last two and a half years waiting for me to move there.

I'm giving this place up, it's not like it is a palace or something, but this is my palace. Wife, advertised it yesterday on CL. We've had 5 offers withing 24 hours.

There is a couple that responded with a long email saying they love our place (we posted pics) and they said they want to live here a long time and want to take care of this place as if it was there home.

Still have a bunch of emails to reply to and I'm happy but afraid it's so easy to rent this place out. It is my home. I'm just looking for good people to take it over and make it their own.

I think, I'm going to go with the family that inquired first. Already talked to them a bit, let them know this is a small house, that the yards require routine maitenance to keep things looking good. They said yes. Going to interview them on June 17th. I really hope they are who they seem to be. I'll be a landlord, and this is my home. Just want somebody to take care of it like I would.

I understand how you're feeling when you say you're afraid that it's so easy to rent out. I strongly recommend getting a background check on any potential renter (that manages to get past your initial screening).

I take it that you're moving to Hawaii, and leaving this house in another state? If that's the case, it's pretty much an absolute necessity to have the rental managed by a rental management company... kind of difficult to do it yourself when you're nowhere even remotely close to the property.

I'm guessing that the fact you have been living away from your wife has something to do with the legal troubles that recently ended? Wish you hadn't mentioned that because I get curious very easily, but I respect your desire to keep that private.

Beer fest last night. Mmmmm. Glad we stopped and ate something in the middle. Mmmmm.

Favorites were Lagunitas Lucky 13 and Madhouse Hopburst. The upside down pineapple homebrew was also very tasty.

Tried Twisted Pine's Ghost Face Killah

Screen-Shot-2012-09-27-at-12.19.37-PM.png

"GFK is brewed with 6 zany peppers. Anaheim, Fresno, Jalapeno, Serrano, Habanero and Bhut Jolokia – Otherwise known as the Ghost Pepper."

Actually, I liked it, heat an all. Don't think I could drink a sixer of it though.

Hi friends!

I'm enjoying some Pecan Pie Ale from Nukebrewer while getting my boil started.

It's a beautiful day for brewing!

Cheers!

IMG-20130608-00007.jpg

Thank you Dan!

I hope you're having a good weekend in spite of the fact you're likely dealing with home improvement stuff!

Ha ha :D Thanks, Mike! My little laundry room home improvement is finished. I sort of started because of two things. The dryer timer doesn't work so the dryer needs to have a close eye kept on the time. I have to shut it down manually by opening the door or setting the timer to the Off position.

I called a repair company to fix it and then found schematics in the control panel housing. This was after watching some YouTube videos to find out a cause of my problem but what I found was videos explaining how to disassemble and clean a dryer. So I pulled the dryer out into the garage (a short distance) and took it apart.

It was full of lint, 10 years had passed without ever cleaning the guts of the thing. After doing this, I highly recommend taking your dryer apart every few years and cleaning it out.

So I went into cleaning mode. Then I looked at the empty room and the old arse cheap linoleum. It was in bad shape, holes in it, peeling a the edges. I just started ripping it out and being the cheap bastidge I am decided to put down the peel and stick tile. I've had pretty good results with them and they actually hold up well over years.

My daughter , said I should rip out the carpet in the house and replace with these peel and stick tiles. Umm... they are good for a small area but not to sure peel and stick tile for a whole house would be a good idea. Maybe it would.. I don't really know.

So the laundry room is now very clean, the washer and dryer too. They're back in place.

I ordered a timer for the dryer and should be replacing it within a week. The tile is is not super fancy, I'm not super happy with my choice of pattern or color, but it's done.. Just a damn laundry room anyway.

Here's a pic, not very inspirational. I spent probably 30 hours cleaning the room, the machines and laying the tile. It'll work.

Here's a, view. It's a bit distorted because I used the panoramic setting on my Iphone to take it. The room is truly not anything extraordinary. Just my laundry room and passage way between garage and house.

laundry-room-60205.jpg

Emjay, I wrote a very long PM to your question and then my computer went a little berserk. Message was lost. It was a lengthy message. I'm not going to write it again. Just know, whatever happened in my past is over. Nothing came of it, no trial or anything. I was wronged. Even though there never was DA charges, I spent my life savings plus on and attorney and bail.. I'm still paying off the bail, it will end in September this year.

I should probably never posted on the other thread about the the day I lived again.

With respect,
Dan

Interesting write up, esp re the tannins. My two year (really 18 months) clock just started on a 2 gallon batch. Why did you decide to peel the bananas? :ban:
The same reason I excluded the tannin. I don't know for sure, but I suspect something extracted from them also contributes to the aging time needed.

I am glad you are doing better Dan. Opportunities, opportunities, and Hawaiian homebrew. :ban:

My over-carbed cider has probably hit it's actually FG of 0.992 now. I'm not going to risk it though, it's heating up to pasteurization temps now.

I figured that the rings setup suggested here would actually be of minimal use. The highest degree of danger for bottles tipping over is actually when you are taking them out of the hot water. You would have to remove the rings to do that in any event. I did decide to put them directly down into a wine bottle case to cool. They will take a little longer to cool that way, but they can't tip over. I also left the aluminum foil "hats" on the bottles, just so my paranoia won't bug me about getting dust in the bottles while they cool.

Believe or not. This is my third time trying to make a post. I did something wrong and the other two were deleted.

Renting my home out. I hate doing this. It is my home. Bunch of people interested in it.

I'm good at maintaining a home. This renting out **** suckss

Dan said:

Dan I wish I could sell my home it's small too. Best of luck.

Also my co workers / shipmates ( not really on a ship) or more correct term battle buddy's. got very tried of my move saying from my favored actor .

"Ryan be careful most things in here do not react to well to bullets"

And I would love to talk with him too. But with a glass of blue label .

Believe or not. This is my third time trying to make a post. I did something wrong and the other two were deleted.

Renting my home out. I hate doing this. It is my home. Bunch of people interested in it.

I'm good at maintaining a home. This renting out **** suckss

Sorry brother. I know you're not happy about it. I wouldn't be either.
You're doing it for a good reason, though.

Ok all have any of you used white labs Irish ale yeast be for? Because I had it a little too warm and I think it got to my fg in 48 hours. How would you do to fix it?

Crap work calling @ 1 am no way this is any good. Hope to god none of my guys got a DUI . Night ya.

miker1529 said:
Ok all have any of you used white labs Irish ale yeast be for? Because I had it a little too warm and I think it got to my fg in 48 hours. How would you do to fix it?
Usually if you get that yeast too warm your beer is screwed for at least 6 months until all the rotten apricot esters fade away.
miker1529 said:
Crap work calling @ 1 am no way this is any good. Hope to god none of my guys got a DUI . Night ya.
Why would they do that?

I'm being cheesy. Not like the guy you know with that handle. He is pure good. Gold.

Not even sure why I'm putting this video up.

I love Elvis and this song, to me, is wonderful

Last edited by a moderator:

I've used it, and it throws out some funky flavors if you ferment warm with it. I had an Irish red that fermented too hot with that yeast, and it never tasted good even after many months of conditioning. I don't mean to be discouraging, but that was what I experienced.

Hello peeps. Bugs me when that happens, Dan, computer dies at the wrong time. When I am writing a long letter now, like writing to my daughter, we write novels to each other, I'll write it in notepad, save occasionally, then copy and paste it to her. After getting in the habit of doing that, has saved a lot of frustration.

I got thinking tonight, why does it seem so easy to meet nice handsome single men when you're married, but so difficult as a single person? But then I realized that when you are single, you actually get to date them and find out what they are really like. And speaking of being married, I think I like hubby so much better when we are apart. At least for right now. All the turmoil we've been through the last 2 years had reached a boiling point. And this whole time, all I had to do to get family and friends to step in and help, was to step away for a little while.

Seems like ever since hubby and I have been sort%

Well, that's weird, as I'm mentioning lost messages, my thoughts got cut off and replaced with a %.

Dan I wish I could sell my home it's small too. Best of luck.

Also my co workers / shipmates ( not really on a ship) or more correct term battle buddy's. got very tried of my move saying from my favored actor .

"Ryan be careful most things in here do not react to well to bullets"

And I would love to talk with him too. But with a glass of blue label .
Yeah, like me. I don't react well to bullets. :ban:

I just finished inventorying my 12 oz bottles. I have 96. Next up, the 750ml bottles.

My inventory is complete, I'm a little surprised I was able to write the function to calculate how many gallons of brew I have. I'm more then a little :tank: now... Though I think I went overboard with the brackety goodness. :rockin:

Screenshot from 2013-06-09 00:26:46.jpg

Back