I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know!! Having trouble finding seed. The place I get my seeds from doesn't sell hops. Maybe someone here can send me seeds? I will take your seeds and make them grow.

I have a light strapped to my forehead and squash seeds, lima bean seed and hops in my pockets. Life is good!!!

:rockin:

Buy rhizomes. There are quite a few vendors on this forum that sell them. I have three plants sprouting that I planted last year, and I also ordered about 6 other varieties for this year.

Got a good boil going now, added the first round of hops. Will be ready at midnight. A kit from AHS for a session American Amber Ale. Mini mash/extract brew. Still using extract sometimes after trying out AG. Each has their pluses and minuses, extract is quicker.

Got a good boil going now, added the first round of hops. Will be ready at midnight. A kit from AHS for a session American Amber Ale. Mini mash/extract brew. Still using extract sometimes after trying out AG. Each has their pluses and minuses, extract is quicker.

Late nite brewing. Love it. I really hope it turns out as you want it to.

Here's a little late late night music for you. Love this girl. Good evening, Bobbi, and late night crew.

Last edited by a moderator:
passedpawn said:
Late nite brewing.
Here's a little late late night music for you. Love this girl.
I thought about nite brewing, but reconsidered since not only have I had significant beers but I have 20 gallons to package. Love who, Brandi or Bobbi? (Who we found out today is a total Betty) ;)

I'd love to be brewing tonight, but I gave it up until my keezer is done. I just have no desire to bottle one more freaking bottle ATM. The good news is I'm almost done with the keezer. Tomorrow I should be about 95%. Maybe by next weekend it will be up and running, and I'll brew an Abrasive clone that's been sitting in the closet waiting patiently.

Passedpawn... thanks for the music!

BobbiLynn... Enjoy your brew night!

:mug:

Going for a smoked beer this time Bobbi? You know the wind could change directions again. :D I suppose it's better than bee beer. How's the thresh BTW?

It seems like I should type something clever, but I'm too tired. Long day at work, and then errands I don't want to deal with once it starts snowing.

Going for a smoked beer this time Bobbi? You know the wind could change directions again. :D I suppose it's better than bee beer. How's the thresh BTW?

Went away right after I started taking the anti-fungus medication. Thanks for bringing it up. :eek: Probably still is really smoky out there, just used to it now. Dark, can't see the smoke in the air. 6 minutes left on my boil.

My bad, I wan't trying to make you blush. That's good to hear. I assume that means beer is back on the menu. :mug:

I ordered silicone chocolate molds, a dispensing funnel, and espresso powder. They won't be here for a while though... Ok, so here are my options for this weekend. I will probably only have time for one.

A. Make a batch similar to rice wine, only with cooked wheat berries.
B. Make another attempt at homemade mozzarella.
3. Find out if the chocoffee shot glasses contribute to the flavor of the shot. I have Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Everclear, Baileys Irish Cream, and Patron Silver.

I definitely have to bottle the ridiculously high gravity concord wine.

3. Find out if the chocoffee shot glasses contribute to the flavor of the shot. I have Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Everclear, Baileys Irish Cream, and Patron Silver.

#3!!! With the baileys. chococoffee with baileys irish creme, heaven!

Whoot I got the 700 hundred running tonight and am going up into the high country sledding in the morning. Man I am so stoked since I rebuilt the engine and we got some good powder to play in. Yup I think this calls for a good sledding video :ban:

This is a refreshing change. Usually I'm the one pitching yeast at the wee hours of the morning. I think I'll turn in. Gonna relax tomorrow and keg up a few buckets. My buddy will be over Sunday to keg his up. I suppose I should throw one of his buckets out on the front porch to cold crash, it's a low floccer. Maybe in the morning. Nite all.

Over and out here too. Pitched the yeast, took every bit of strength in me to get the 5.25 gallons back to my craft room. Must find a new way to carry it. Like a dolly but where it doesn't tip the load. A dolly that would carry things in their upright position. Hmmm... will figure it out tomorrow.

B. Make another attempt at homemade mozzarella.

I have a video link that Dan gave me on making homemade mozz if you're interested. It's uber easy. I made some very tasty cheese by following the easy directions in the video.

I'm drinking a brown ale that I boiled with homemade apple pie filling from apples I grew last summer, and then I'm out for the night. Tomorrow I have a big day planned. I'm going to work on my keezer which I have named Keezy Weezy.

Night folks!

Everyone please just stay calm, it's only beer. There is no more flying shrapnel. A 22 ounce beer exploded. Had it sitting off to itself because I was worried about that one, hmm... Just gonna let it dry itself off and will clean up tomorrow. Sopped up most of the liquid. Glad I wasn't in the room when it happened but sure did wake me up. Okay, back to bed now... It's just beer, no one will melt, don't worry.

Glass did not break, it just blew it's cap. My room is very sticky now. Calm down, it'll be okay, will just clean up better in the AM.

I'm drinking a brown ale that I boiled with homemade apple pie filling from apples I grew last summer, and then I'm out for the night. Tomorrow I have a big day planned. I'm going to work on my keezer which I have named Keezy Weezy.

Night folks!

After my rude awakening, I would like to taste that... sounds very delicious.

Glass did not break, it just blew it's cap. My room is very sticky now. Calm down, it'll be okay, will just clean up better in the AM.

I have only had one bottle blow it's cap for me, so far. No, actually that bottle exploded. Left a dent in the drywall ceiling in the basement. Then there was that bottle of cranberry cider champagne that blew the cork at my sister's at Christmas. And that one was wired on too. I may have overcarbed a couple bottles of that batch...

Snowing here again this morning. Was supposed to rain. Oh well,, it'll melt eventually. Gonna be a while until I do any planting, Bobbi.

Honey = Mead. I might be your first customer. I have bought local clover, but ended up buying Buckwheat out of state (Washington). Flying Bee Ranch. Good, but a very earthy taste. Used it in the Carmel Apple mead that is in secondary. Hydro tastings have been incredible.

I love buckwheat honey. The last I bought was local, I'll have to see if I can find any more.

I have been thinking about doing a mead. Just haven't got there yet. The guy I am going to see about the bees was an entomologist at Arizona State and bought a farm just north of where I used to farm. He has quite a few hives all over the area. He is actually putting on a beekeeping seminar at the local nature center today, I was going to sign up but my daughter's due date was the 7th so I thought I might be in Milwaukee this weekend. But the little feller surprised us by coming a couple weeks early.

I have been meaning to stop in and see him and see if he would be interested in doing a honey for mead swap. He supplies the honey, I do the work and we split the batch. If I can work something out I might hit you up for some mead pointers.

Over and out here too. Pitched the yeast, took every bit of strength in me to get the 5.25 gallons back to my craft room. Must find a new way to carry it. Like a dolly but where it doesn't tip the load. A dolly that would carry things in their upright position. Hmmm... will figure it out tomorrow.

Lowes/HD sell Rubbermaid trash cans and a separate dolly base for them. I think the plastic can sorta screws onto the base.

You could use this contraption. Maybe take some snips and cut away the top of the can if it is too deep. I don't have the dolly but I do have the 32g can it matches up with.

s0275848_sc7

I was noticing yesterday the trees are starting to bud. Spring is coming :rockin:

Yea, officially it will be here in 12 days. Not that that makes much difference around here. Maybe another month and it will be a bit springlike.

The buds are starting to swell on the maple trees. The syrup producers are getting ready to start tapping, an awful short season last year. I think they are all hoping for more consistent temperatures this year.

Yeah it can still snow here and I am sure it will. Heck it might flat out dump on me still but if it does snow it will melt fast now

I love buckwheat honey. The last I bought was local, I'll have to see if I can find any more.

I have been thinking about doing a mead. Just haven't got there yet. The guy I am going to see about the bees was an entomologist at Arizona State and bought a farm just north of where I used to farm. He has quite a few hives all over the area. He is actually putting on a beekeeping seminar at the local nature center today, I was going to sign up but my daughter's due date was the 7th so I thought I might be in Milwaukee this weekend. But the little feller surprised us by coming a couple weeks early.

I have been meaning to stop in and see him and see if he would be interested in doing a honey for mead swap. He supplies the honey, I do the work and we split the batch. If I can work something out I might hit you up for some mead pointers.

I've been learning to appreciate buckwheat more and more.

Still learning about the mead. Folks in the Mead Forums like FatBloke, Saramc, Atek, Arpolis (to name just a few) are great at sharing information, advice, and even a finger wagging after you admitted to pulling a bonehead stunt. Just one of my favorite HBT areas.

Here is an interesting read on commercial store bought honey: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/#.UTteolePYz4

Glad you're ok. That stuff can be dangerous. I once pasteurized some apple cider that was a little to carbonated for pasteurizing. It was in the kettle of hot water and a bottle exploded. It put a nice, deep dent in the lid of the heavy aluminum pot. Scary stuff!
After my rude awakening, I would like to taste that... sounds very delicious.
I have to admit it was pretty dang good. I love to experiment with beer. It's still a bit young. It should be perfect in another couple of weeks.

I was noticing yesterday the trees are starting to bud. Spring is coming :rockin:

They are here, as well. Just in the last couple of days I noticed bines sprouting out of the ground from my hop rhizomes. One already has a couple little leaves on it in just 2 days. They were just planted last year, and they didn't really produce much. I'm hoping this year I get a good crop.

Lowes/HD sell Rubbermaid trash cans and a separate dolly base for them. I think the plastic can sorta screws onto the base.

You could use this contraption. Maybe take some snips and cut away the top of the can if it is too deep. I don't have the dolly but I do have the 32g can it matches up with.

Ah, yes, something on wheels. Will try to get to lowes or home depot and find something similar. And my dog is allowed in those stores so he will be happy. Also thinking about ripping up the carpet in the living room. Tile throughout the whole house. Easier to slide things across tile. Or even wheel things.

Slept very late after being up most of the night. Plant or clean up the sticky mess? Surprised one bottle of beer can contain so much liquid, must have at least tripled it's original volume.

Hubby is home but very ill right now. Probably needs to be in the hospital where they can get his blood cells counts fixed up, but he won't go. Just the suggestion of going to the hospital makes him very angry. I once saw him pick up a young cow, throw it over his shoulders and carry it home. Now he shakes to lift his small glass of juice.

Decided, get outside and plant, must keep a close eye on hubby, try to feed him and keep him hydrated, but for the most part get outside and do my own thing. It hurts me to see him like this. Causes me physical pain in my heart.

Stinging nettles got me so time for a break from gardening. Ouch, they hurt, feels like my hands and arms are on fire. Got them into one pile now though. Gonna destroy them with a blow torch. I will be sure to stay upwind.

Time for an organic gardening lesson.

First, you make some good soil. It takes 3/4 carbon source and 1/4 nitrogen source. As a rule of thumb, carbon sources are brown and nitrogen sources are green. Many exceptions, but a good rule of thumb. You can make your compost in something as small as old five gallon bucket or have an open pile. Takes one year for the soil to get good if you turn it at least twice over that period of time. For an open pile, which is what I do, because I have space, at least 5 feet X 5 feet, height width, for an open pile but contain it in some way and you can make soil in a much smaller space.

A year later, you got good soil. Dig a big hole in your garden for each plant, fill it with the dirt you made. Or just put them in containers with your beautiful soil. Put 3-4 seeds in each pot, or each hole, after the last frost threat. They will start popping up and of the 3-4 seeds you planted, pinch off the weakest 2-3 and keep only the strongest looking one. You will soon have a gorgeous garden overflowing with vegetable and herbs.

I have a video link that Dan gave me on making homemade mozz if you're interested. It's uber easy. I made some very tasty cheese by following the easy directions in the video.
I would like to see it. I actually skipped a step last time I tried to make it, so I'm not to worried.

Everyone please just stay calm, it's only beer. There is no more flying shrapnel. A 22 ounce beer exploded. Had it sitting off to itself because I was worried about that one, hmm... Just gonna let it dry itself off and will clean up tomorrow. Sopped up most of the liquid. Glad I wasn't in the room when it happened but sure did wake me up. Okay, back to bed now... It's just beer, no one will melt, don't worry.
Erm, if you have other bottles you are worried about, a metal trash can might be a good idea.

Sorry, I guess I put everyone to sleep?
Nope. Nope.

I would add you can actually make good finished compost a lot faster then that if you keep the moisture content right. Though that can get a bit dicey, as if you forget to keep the water on it it can actually burst into flames. All the microbial action generates rather a lot of heat.

You should also avoid adding animal products and/or oil to the pile if you are going the fast turnover method.

That, and you should be careful how much of your compost is wood chips and/or sticks if you are going to grow root crops in it. The tannin takes a couple of years to break down in the soil, and things like onions, carrots and potatoes will pick it up. Making them very bitter.

I'm going to actually have to buy compost this year. I hate to, but I moved from an apartment to this house and I won't have any in time for spring planting.

I haven't brewed in a month, because I've been using all of my spare time to build a keezer.

All I have left to do is varnish the woodwork, install the hardware, and wire up the temperature control.

Here she is. From the free chest freezer I got to what it looks like this evening...

IMG-20130223-00608.jpg

IMG-20130309-00650.jpg

IMG-20130309-00651.jpg

Wow! That is gorgeous. How many taps to start and how many could it hold?

Thanks! I'll be starting with 3 and then upgrading to 5. It can hold 6 pin locks in total, so the idea is I'll always have one either carbing or lagering and 5 serving.

Back