I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snaps,

I have two step kids that are now out of the house, married and making babies. Still working on accepting the title of Grandpa. I try not to say grandkids, I refer to them as the kid's kids. :) We also have one finishing up college.

I've been through the whole realm of "your not my real father", to spontaneous "I love you"s. When we got married, the kids wanted to change their last name also. We had to have one of those hard talks where I explained that I was not the natural father and it would be wrong. That I was going to be a second father that would love them unconditionally, but we would have rules in this world. For the record, her ex was mess. Alcoholic, cheating, gambling addiction, stealing from the kids savings bonds. After a visit, the kids came back and said that they "got to see horseys". We asked them if they went to the zoo. "Not the zoo, but it was a big place and the horseys all ran around this big circle" was the reply. Great, he took them to the track.

I think Dan had the best advice that if you stay the course, love the kids unconditionally, and communicate honestly with them, they will know what is real and what is not. Then they will surprise you sometime when you least expect it with their understanding. The clouds part, the light shins down, and boom, you realize they got it.

Of course, there will be some days when you understand why lions eat their young.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Dad, I'm in Jail

That song makes me feel a lot better about when my son calls me, he has said, "Mom, I just need to come stay for a little while, maybe get a couple bucks." Even had to go pick him up because his motorcycle was broke down, plus, he couldn't carry all his stuff on it. Drop everything, go get him. Feed him, send him on his way within a couple months. Go forth into the world, son, make thyself your own money... He's in his early 20s.

That song makes me feel a lot better about when my son calls me, he has said, "Mom, I just need to come stay for a little while, maybe get a couple bucks." Even had to go pick him up because his motorcycle was broke down, plus, he couldn't carry all his stuff on it. Drop everything, go get him. Feed him, send him on his way within a couple months. Go forth into the world, son, make thyself your own money... He's in his early 20s.
Huh, the opposite happened to me. I moved out on my own with a full time job at 18. At 28, my disabled mother lives in my house.

One year we got the 1AM call. The middle son said he had an accident, he was alright, could we come. I remember flying out of the house and speeding through the neighborhoods. He turned left on a greenlight, but a red left arrow. Oncoming Explorer totaled his Honda. After exiting the police car from the interview, he climbs in the back and asks if we are mad and hate him. I respond with, "Tommy; no drugs, no alcohol, no 10 kids in the car with the radio blearing. You made a bad judgement and we are glad your safe. Let's say we are a little disappointed. And he replies, "I'm really glad you guys were here for me". My wife and I did a "low five" so that he couldn't see us.

One year we got the 1AM call. The middle son said he had an accident, he was alright, could we come. I remember flying out of the house and speeding through the neighborhoods. He turned left on a greenlight, but a red left arrow. Oncoming Explorer totaled his Honda. After exiting the police car from the interview, he climbs in the back and asks if we are mad and hate him. I respond with, "Tommy; no drugs, no alcohol, no 10 kids in the car with the radio blearing. You made a bad judgement and we are glad your safe. Let's say we are a little disappointed. And he replies, "I'm really glad you guys were here for me". My wife and I did a "low five" so that he couldn't see us.

Well handled!

bottlebomber said:
There are some that can get it. Even for those that are within the distribution area it is difficult to get evidently because the stores that get it sell what they've gotten within hours. You'll probably just have to start a thread and see what you can rustle up. Hopefully you can get some good beer to barter with.

Kern River Citra is releasing in 2 weeks, Russian river isn't too far, and Firestone is very close. ::rockin::

BobbiLynn said:
You are a smart guy. :p

My Dad worked at a machine shop in his younger years and worked with CAD. He could practically walk into that huge shop and go back to his computer and have all those machines running, making stuff. I'd help him and run around and make sure nothing was getting stuck, holler to him if it was, around ages 6-12. He started the company Kingston Metal South.

Man a lot of people's dads used to he machinists... It's almost like we had a booming manufacturing sector at one time. My boss has memories of his dad bringing home crate of screws and washers are stuff, and having him stay up late at night counting and packaging them. That's what I would have done too. I'd have all three of them thinking it was some kind of a game while I got a little shut eye.

Man a lot of people's dads used to he machinists...

I find a similar reaction when people find out I'm a surveyor.
Everyone's got some story of someone who used to be a surveyor.

Machinists, the only people that don't think surveyors measure precise.

I just don't do ten thousandths!

45_70sharps said:
I find a similar reaction when people find out I'm a surveyor.
Everyone's got some story of someone who used to be a surveyor.

Machinists, the only people that don't think surveyors measure precise.

I just don't do ten thousandths!

Ha! A good friend of mind who worked with me as a machinist went to CalTrans to work as a surveyor, and my ex wife's grandpa worked his whole life doing that. He helped put in the I-5. So yep, I know at least a couple ;) a hair is .003-.005 thousandths. It's fun training new guys, and explaining to them that a hair is about 4 thousands. So if you slice that hair down the length into 20 pieces, one of those pieces represents the amount you have to play with. That's when their eyes glaze over. Then I tell them that these nickel alloy slugs are costing us $350 a piece, so don't screw em up. They get scared, but we watch em pretty good ;)

Ha! A good friend of mind who worked with me as a machinist went to CalTrans to work as a surveyor, and my ex wife's grandpa worked his whole life doing that. He helped put in the I-5. So yep, I know at least a couple ;) a hair is .003-.005 thousandths. It's fun training new guys, and explaining to them that a hair is about 4 thousands. So if you slice that hair down the length into 20 pieces, one of those pieces represents the amount you have to play with. That's when their eyes glaze over. Then I tell them that these nickel alloy slugs are costing us $350 a piece, so don't screw em up. They get scared, but we watch em pretty good ;)

I've known a few machinists, one now works on the county survey crew!

We might not get too excited about being tighter than 0.01 feet, but that's in distances that are often miles long.

Good thing the assault weapons ban thread is busy tonight.
This is the slowest this thread has been since Dan the man started it.

I'm denied from the debate area. Perhaps they talked to my wife. I get in trouble because I'm a little too passionate about politics and firearms rights on Facebook.

Where is he staying? In the city itself? Definitely Brooklyn Brewery, it's in a really fun area of Brooklyn with a ton to do. After that, Eataly had a brewery on top called Birreria run by Sam Calagione from Dogfishhead. Also Heartland has a few locations throughout the city. The one on 43rd right off Times Square (my turnout point tonight coincidentally) is my favorite, great burgers. There's also Sixpoint in Brooklyn that turns out some fine beers.

For bars, the Gingerman and Burp Castle are both great, along with Jimmy's #43 (up stairs from Burp Castle) and McSorley's for nostalgia down the block.
I'll have to try and remember this. Probably won't so I might have to hit you up later. We are planning on being in the area the end of August, my wife's nephew is getting married. The wedding will be in New Jersey but we are planning on staying a couple nights in the City when we are there. A fun place to visit but I don't know if I could deal with living there.

My wife's family is from Staten Island so we may be doing some visiting there too.

a hair is .003-.005 thousandths. It's fun training new guys, and explaining to them that a hair is about 4 thousands. So if you slice that hair down the length into 20 pieces, one of those pieces represents the amount you have to play with. That's when their eyes glaze over. Then I tell them that these nickel alloy slugs are costing us $350 a piece, so don't screw em up. They get scared, but we watch em pretty good ;)
Those kinds of tolerances are hard for me to imagine. Any of the ham handed machining I do as long as things kind of fit that's all I am looking for.

At work I have a third of a mil, but that is furniture so not quite so critical.

Cool, enjoy your trip. Let me know if you need any tips when the time come.

Will do. We have done most of the "touristy" things so this time with no kids we will be just exploring to see what we can find. We want to go to the Cloisters, haven't been there and it sounds interesting. Nothing else on the agenda yet. Except the view from the top of the Empire State Building at dusk is always pretty impressive. Might have to do that again.

I guess I am to cheap. I have a top machine as well but it stuffs them to full for the way I like to smoke. That and it is to dang cold to smoke a whole smoke outside wearing my jammies.

I will stuff a pack or so with the top machine though

Think it's time for sleep. Not much music posted tonight so I will leave you with something mellow from the 70's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided it was too late to sleep. So I decided to open a Samuel Smith India Ale instead. Going to have the Nut Brown next. Beer for breakfast. My Norwegian Lutheran relatives would recoil in horror!

Dang I tried to head to bed as well and failed. Going to have bacon and eggs though....With hot sauce. Lots of wonderful hot sauce to ease my hangover:ban:

I'll be having a beer before heading to church this morning. Nasty fog and cold here. I think an Oatmeal Stout will be quite nice.

Decided it was too late to sleep. So I decided to open a Samuel Smith India Ale instead. Going to have the Nut Brown next. Beer for breakfast. My Norwegian Lutheran relatives would recoil in horror!

I'm doing the beer for breakfast thing too this fine Sunday morning. Started off as "tasting" each of the four batches I have going now, to see what's ready to bottle, now I have moved on to "tasting" the ones I have in bottles to see if they are ready, enough carbonation/good flavor to start refrigerating and drinking. All this tasting room temperature beer is getting to me. :drunk:

My dad probably just started his Sunday sermon.... I'll go for a walk in a little bit and have my little chat with the big guy upstairs.

I'm glad I'm not alone. They say drinking alone is a problem.....

The temperature here is sitting right at 0, don't think I'll be going for a stroll any time soon. Good thing the big guy listens even if you are sitting in front of the computer. Now that I am working on my second pint and have had bacon and eggs I may even feel like a snooze in a bit. Although I should clean some bottles today. I'm running out of room to set my empties,

Airborneguy said:
Rough night tonight, I'm very happy to see the daytime bosses walking in. Sorry I wasn't around to BS like normal.

That's ok buddy, why not take a little time off the forum, a week maybe. :D I'm not gonna beat you to 10k, the gap is too big and the last laps almost over. I'll get you for 20 though.

That's ok buddy, why not take a little time off the forum, a week maybe. :D I'm not gonna beat you to 10k, the gap is too big and the last laps almost over. I'll get you for 20 though.

No way, do not take a break, Airbourneguy, BB just wants a chance to beat you to 10K!!!!

It's sunny and 68 degrees here. Just got back from a nice walk with my dog to the mailbox. A couple miles, nice walk. Brought a bottle to "taste" and a thermos of coffee with me. Now I am have drunk but completely awake. Nice. :rockin:

**** I'm on my third right now!

Now for you, that is understandable, just getting off a long night's work!!! What's the excuse for the rest of us?

**** I'm on my third right now!

It's your evening though!

Friday I had enough that Saturday when I went to shoot my 22 pistol for my weekly match score I figured it wasn't going to happen.

Lucky it's casual and many of us shoot when we have a chance during the week.

No drinking last night and I won't be joining you guys for a morning beer.

I'm going shooting in an hour or so.

So,,, sharps... when will you make the trip to Florida, over 3 miles clearance for long range shooting, show me how to shoot some of these guns granddad left me, other family members not interested in guns, so I got them. I got a 1969 45. Ruger in good shape that needs to be used, 7 rifles bigger than my .22 that I need to learn how to use and a couple pistols including a .38.

Latest posts

Back