I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tile sucks. Is this the thread where I can not care about football? More importantly is this the thread where I can post random **** and not be judged?

I think you found a home. I love/hate tile. I like football but never talk about it. You should see some of the crazy **** I post.... And the good folks here still don't completely ignore me;)

I saw Dylan last week. This was the version of Blowin in the Wind that I saw. I liked it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sObIImr6zjk[/ame]

Something messed up on my phone. I can watch YouTube pot on YouTube
Pot m here but can't watch them here, or anybody else's

iPhone 6. I have. Not sue it's ganache but twin to believe it is. Expensive piece of junk it's time to ne

Dan. I love you man but your phone/typing sucks;). Get a droid. Are you using the HBT app? I hate apps. I use the browser. Full functionality. I'm not even sure if data is an issue with HBT. It's not for me anyway.

I was hoping to see some progress on the drip tray....

Howdy late niters. Hope all is well. Same culprits as normal. A lot have move on. Who remembers BobbiLynn, Leadgolem, Varmintman,, Thunder_Chicken, McBaumerb.

Bottlebomber.

Stauff!!!!!!

Lots of others. I guess they've moved on. Good for them. For better or worse, I'll be here til this forum shuts down. Here's a little ditty to get you thinking about the season. I've got 2/3 kids at home, inlaws are here, it's golden. I'm pretty high on the bottle of wine we just drank. For your late nite soundtrack, the imitable Vince Guaraldi.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPWDjfe4MI[/ame]

In other news, this wkend I mixed 4 bags of mortar and built a base for my tub, then dropped the tub in there and let it set overnight. It's rock solid. Really happy with that. Electrical, plumbing, all done. Just have to finish the woodwork around the tub now, and install a couple of large mirrors, and make frames for mirrors (have to stain/finish to match vanities) and that bathroom is done. Faucet and spout are roughed in. Sweet!

_mg_17762-67795.jpg

_mg_17791-67794.jpg

Howdy late niters. Hope all is well. Same culprits as normal. A lot have move on. Who remembers BobbiLynn, Leadgolem, Varmintman,, Thunder_Chicken, McBaumerb.

Bottlebomber.

Stauff!!!!!!

Lots of others. I guess they've moved on. Good for them. For better or worse, I'll be here til this forum shuts down. Here's a little ditty to get you thinking about the season. I've got 2/3 kids at home, inlaws are here, it's golden. I'm pretty high on the bottle of wine we just drank. For your late nite soundtrack, the imitable Vince Guaraldi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPWDjfe4MI
I
Where would we be without the Peanuts specials? What memories those songs evoke.

I remember those folks. Hope they're well. I'll be here until someone kicks me out I guess.

We've had quite a crew roll through these pages. I miss those that have moved on. The thread is still alive though and new folks keep stopping by and hanging out. It's alive!

Pappy your tub work is awesome. I'm truly a hack compared to the work I've seen you and Ischiavo do. Remember Stauffbier's keezer. Man that things beautiful

Ischiavo here's the drip tray progress. Nothing expensive, register grates and wood. It's just pieced together and might not be the exact path I take yet. Still playing around. I think maybe I'll paint the grates black for some contrast. This weekend I'll finish it. I like it though 🙂

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479887544.164761.jpg

The top where the 1"x2" comes together - sloppy. The wood split on the right hand board. I've gotta do something to disguise it. My eye is drawn straight to it

The top where the 1"x2" comes together - sloppy. The wood split on the right hand board. I've gotta do something to disguise it. My eye is drawn straight to it
Don't sweat it, we are our own worst critic.
Adding taps will draw everyone's eye elsewhere. I'd never see it if I was pulling a pint. :mug:

Thanks Pappy. I was going to put the spar poly on it today but decided on another application of the stain, to bring the tone deeper. Glad I did- it's looking very good. Tomorrow the poly.

I still have to work on the floor in the back. Lot of weight bearing needed there

I found the perfect jockey box to fit inside the top. But too late. Would of been perfect size. One of the reasons among the many flaws in the design of this thing. That's why I called it a good starter project. I

I need a little help with making the base strong enough. (Yes I was warned).

Here's what the base looks like for now. I plan to add 2"x4" supports and then cover it with slats. Some Douglas fir 1"x 2" spaced 1/2" apart or 2x2 spaced two inches apart.

What do you think? Suggestions. I built it wide enough for three kegs but due to the configuration just two kegs with a jockey box in the middle, a keg each side of it and another keg sitting on the ground.

To give you a basic idea

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480281846.993822.jpg

Actually, looking at it just now. I'll reverse the beer in fitting on one side. The keg on the left will feed into the left and exit on the right where I'll insulate the beer out tubing and run it to the tap on the right (looking from behind) and vice versa for the keg inthe right. The third keg I'll run straight to the blue jockey box which will be mounted straight into the top but supported on s base

The size of useable base is 1200 sq inches, rounding off. Two kegs @160? Each plus the red jockey box with ice maybe another 60? That's all less than 400lbs. That's about 5 ounces per square inch. Prolly wrong there but think I'm about correct. I think the current structure with cross slats will be fine. I don't plan to move it around weighted down

Still, advice from somebody with better math and guessing skills than me would truly be appreciated

Cheers
Dan

I'm not sure how I screwed it up and cut the face of the drip tray short. Ugly piece of cross grain on the right side. I might redo it.

I redid it. Looks pretty good if I say so myself

Expert cabinet makers. I now understand why they're costly. First the material is. Secondly it's time consuming. And you really need some space. A wood shop with room or at least forgiving neighbors. Specially when you stay in a townhouse.
Sawdust rules this house for now.

Man,
I wish my Dad was still alive. He died way to young, 66.

When I was 9 or ten he bought land on the edge of our small town, about two miles from the city limits.

He was a successful Chiropractor, not quite yet in his prime but close.

So he had a house built on an eight acre wooded plot, top of a hill.

I spent much, I guess some of my youth clearing trees and brush around the house with my dad. He made sure we had a good firebreak from the trees. After that and a lot of grass seed later, I spent many summer days on a John Deer garden tractor mowing around the house.

Dad was a country boy but went to Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport Iowa. Got his degree as a DC in 1959. I think that's the correct year. Mom and him married in 1961.

I was ten in 1974, my older brother 13, younger bro 8, and little sister six

The next years were pretty great.....

My dad was a good carpenter. I suppose it's because when he was in high school his "Shop" class built homes. Pretty freaking cool homework.

Dad could design a structure on the back of a matchbook. And then build it. He did this. He laid concrete like a pro and landscaped like a Mexican.

Man I miss him so much. Some of my best memories in life are with him. I used to love coming home from school on Thursdays, Dad's day off. Always something great going on working on the yard or whatever. I spent a lot of time in my youth cutting timber and splitting logs with a splitting axe. No ADHD when you burn off excess energy.

My papa indeed of his accomplishments was a humble man. I found out recently, I've known but never recognized the fact because he never made a big deal of it. He was the president of the Illinois Chiropractic Association for a number of years. President of the ACA might be more correct, not sure.

Dad was a guy who lived through his actions; he didn't talk about them much.

Him and my mom passed very young within two years of each other. Cancer

Not sure what to do about that. It's soon to pass 17 years since mom died and 15 for Dad. I think I'll never get over that. They were too young.
This time of year always gets to me. I should be all into Movember.

But unlike my Dad I'm a man of weak commitment and just words.

The size of useable base is 1200 sq inches, rounding off. Two kegs @160? Each plus the red jockey box with ice maybe another 60? That's all less than 400lbs. That's about 5 ounces per square inch. Prolly wrong there but think I'm about correct. I think the current structure with cross slats will be fine. I don't plan to move it around weighted down

Still, advice from somebody with better math and guessing skills than me would truly be appreciated

Cheers
Dan

You will maximize you load bearing and reduce wobbling/bending during movement if you take some 1x2s and run them at a 45° angle from the side wall supports down to your base supports. You can do the same at the top of you really want to make it strong but I think just doing it at the bottom should be fine. Otherwise your slats idea for the bottom is a good one.

I redid it. Looks pretty good if I say so myself

Expert cabinet makers. I now understand why they're costly. First the material is. Secondly it's time consuming. And you really need some space. A wood shop with room or at least forgiving neighbors. Specially when you stay in a townhouse.
Sawdust rules this house for now.

Ayup. And it's not just workspace that you need. You also need space to store all the assembled cabinets before they are shipped to the install location. Not too crazy if it's a house. But can get real crazy, real quick, if it's a medical office you are building for.

I saw Dylan last week. This was the version of Blowin in the Wind that I saw. I liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sObIImr6zjk

I was looking back through this thread. This time the link to the video worked. That doesn't happen often on my phone on this website

I listened to older Bob Dylan and his younger self. I'm not music/ergo math smart - pretty sure the two go hand in hand even if the artist is unknowing

His rhythm is not random, but is to my ears. His stories do not go unfelt. Pretty good guy, Bob Dylan

A unique man.

Well hello there. Been a long time. I'm drinking a reinstone. Not much time to myself but I miss you guys !!

IMG_2720.jpg

My oldest boy is going to Palmer in Daytona. Should have his DC in about 2 yrs I think.

That's fantastic Pappy! I'm glad to hear your son has committed himself to healing. It's a sacrifice but the people who want to help, to heal us. I don't think they see it as any sacrifice at all. Blessed we are for those who care for us

Dan, I wonder if you could add a third long 2x4 stringer across the bottom (take out the 2x2 cross braces) and then put the 1x floor spanning the the "joists". That should stiffen things up. Have you considered keeping the three kegs under the cabinet and the jockey box out? It may be easier to add ice and such that way.

Just random thoughts... It all looks great though!

DECEMBER!

Man, time flies. Another year flows under the bridge. I've got the 2nd bathroom finished (except for mirrors). This weekend I'm taking the sawsall to the 3rd. I kinda like demo. I'll be you guys do too.

For your late nite soundtrack, a little doo wop a capello. I listen to a ton of this stuff. I grew up with it. This is Street Corner Renaissance, channelling the Crew Cuts.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-miJQUD9l4[/ame]

Dan, I wonder if you could add a third long 2x4 stringer across the bottom (take out the 2x2 cross braces) and then put the 1x floor spanning the the "joists". That should stiffen things up. Have you considered keeping the three kegs under the cabinet and the jockey box out? It may be easier to add ice and such that way.

Just random thoughts... It all looks great though!

I planned to put the jockey box inside the top, drill holes for the shanks and it would have worked fine. The bottom would fit three kegs. All makes sense and simple.

The red cooler would have extended out the back but who cares? Nobody is going to see the backside. Wife said no way she wants the cooler sticking out the back. She's, umm. She's Janice. Love of my life and cause of many headaches 🙃.

These past four months or so she's been, we've been very busy making stuff for the wedding. "The Wedding". Money's getting spent left and right, money that we should be saving. The house is a mess with all the projects in build. We even had to get a storage locker.

Two days ago I came home and she had started another project had to be ready today. Don't get me wrong; I love my wife but when she gets in mission mode look out! She's extremely creative and talented but man o man, man o man!

I'll try to update the work I get done on the Beer Bureau; Alcohol Oasis, Cervaza Credenza - BAR. Today. It's mostly just steel wool finishing and reapplying spar varnish every where.

The drain work is coming along but I ran out of the golden pecan stain and tried using one close. Looks bad to me. Too dark. So after taking two carloads of projects to my stepdaughter's bridal shower today; I tbooked out of there, (bounced?)[emoji4]

I stopped by Home Depot on the way home and got another quart of miniwax golden pecan stain. If I ever stop writing this post, Im going to break out the sander and remove the dark stain and stain it right

Ok. Long post. I'm rambling. Time to get to work.

Cheers
Dan

Back