I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But my milk idea wasnt so much to mask a flavor but to clean it.!

Yeah, I can soak him in milk, I'll eat anything if it tastes good. Not afraid to try something new. I have had possum stew before though, had a nice flavor. Cook the crap out of it and plenty of sea salt... that's what I've been told.

Question to you hunters and eaters of various critters. Should BobbiLynn get him, would soaking him in milk overnight as one might liver or kidneys be the way to go? I would think that it could wash out some of the nastiness built up in his flesh for eating garbage and carrion...

Or she can send it to you for one of your meads (please Bobbilyn don´t)

Airborneguy said:
Selling any guns? :p

Seriously though, that's what it takes sometimes. I know of at least one cop who retired immediately after shooting someone, even though it was life or death and they were completely justified.
Nah, I'm keepin em. I can't imagine what some of you guys go through.
Varmintman said:
You know what? I really respect you for that attitude. I also believe the use of deadly force is something that really needs to be thought out before some one gets a gun for defense. I carry when I am in the woods and have never had to fire the gun yet and I hope I never do. I do not carry in town or around people because I am just not sure I could pull the trigger.

Any way as I sit here I salute you:rockin:
Thank you. I will still carry a pistol on the crazy hike me and the boys take each year because we are literally at the bottom of the food chain out there, but no more packing.

I call horse balls on a $5 batch. Gimme the breakdown Charlie. I can do $10, but unless your stealing the hops and plugging your system into the outlet behind the old folks home I can't see it. Pilsner malt is expensive.

Pilsener may not have been the BEST example, but I can still manage it if I shoot for the lower end of the numbers, with Weyermann Pils costing me about $30 for a 55lb/25kg sack (purchased through my local club, piggybacking on the order of a large provincial brewery with the malt company sponsoring free delivery). Being the EAC I am, I only use their floor-malted Pils, but even then I can still technically swing it.

A lot more realistically though, I can brew a sub-$5 cream ale or blonde ale without even trying.

Oh heck I hope you get feeling better soon. I guess I am dang lucky because I just never get sick.

I know it is a old wives tale but chicken noodle soup is good for what ails you

If you realize it's an old wives' tale, then why repeat it? ;)

We don't eat opossom around here, but if I did I think a brine soak would work better than milk. Very familiar with that trap though. My Dad gets coons and cats in his attic a couple times/year. He's getting too old to deal with it so I always get trap duty.

Best I can do is around $12 and that's with HG hops, frozen yeast and mashed starter wort. Most people don't take utilites into account though. I have a spreadsheet I used to use that tracked every single cost and consumable and then I tacked on a few bucks for good measure. I don't use it anymore though since I already know about where the cards fall.

You know all this talk has opened my eyes and made me feel very lucky indeed that I have the LHBS that I do have. It also made me realize that different people will have different tastes and that is a very good thing indeed.

I can brew a right tasty ale for 10 bucks using store bought stuff only. I could do the same for right next to nothing if I used the grain I malt but for now I am still learning. I brewed a porter that I have been giving away since Christmas that cost about 25 bucks and I did not enjoy it but everyone I gave it to loved.

It is not the cost I think that makes a good beer but good recipe and brewing practices. I really think that if I wanted to brew the best beer that I could I would not drink beer while brewing but hey like that is going to happen.

I also think chocolate chip cookies would be much better with out the chocolate. My story and I am sticking with it

Oh but the groundhogs if they are what I think they are are going to be right tasty eating. I think they are a type of marmot very similar to rockchucks and I do love eating some chuck stew.

Oh but the groundhogs if they are what I think they are are going to be right tasty eating. I think they are a type of marmot very similar to rockchucks and I do love eating some chuck stew.

They are the related

These little bastards, -Groundhog, whistlepig, woodchuck

Its a small one
Groundhog-Standing2.jpg

BobbiLynn said:
If I remember correctly, he does like to take naps....

I nap on my lunch break. We're not allowed to sleep during our shift, which is BS in my opinion. I work the worst shift, have never missed a call and have to stay awake all night with no shift differential and no shift or schedule swapping. Every EMS company in the country encourages their employees to sleep as much as they can. The tribe refuses to pay us to sleep though, regardless of whether we are playing games on our phones all night or not.

I got written up for responding to a call in a dangerous area by myself. I knew Co Fire and police were there, but it is against our protocols to respond alone.

Now take that picture and imagine him surrounded by onions, carrots and baby potatoes in a crock pot. MMM good

Hubby says yes, a brine solution will be better than milk. He likes the way I set the trap. Thinks, yeah, good chance he'll be caught by morning. He said "you are catching him live, you know that right?" Still gotta kill it. I said I will take my knife and slit his throat, one quick motion. He said right afterwards just grab him by the legs and hold him upside down to bleed out, then soak him in the salt water once I de-skin and gut him, get down to just the meat. I hope he walks into the trap tonight. I will yank him out of the trap in the AM and slice him open. Good riddance. And maybe good eating with potatoes, carrots and onions, maybe some roasted garlic.

Hubby says yes, a brine solution will be better than milk. He likes the way I set the trap. Thinks, yeah, good chance he'll be caught by morning. He said "you are catching him live, you know that right?" Still gotta kill it. I said I will take my knife and slit his throat, one quick motion. He said right afterwards just grab him by the legs and hold him upside down to bleed out, then soak him in the salt water once I de-skin and gut him, get down to just the meat. I hope he walks into the trap tonight. I will yank him out of the trap in the AM and slice him open. Good riddance. And maybe good eating with potatoes, carrots and onions, maybe some roasted garlic.

I cannot believe I never thought to throw some garlic in there. I bet that would just be tasty:rockin:

When I saw you post I was hoping you caught him. But then I think they are nocturnal right

Can't see reference to any of these little critters without thinking of gophers. And of course that leads me here!

Carl: License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

Carl: I got to get into this dude's pelt and crawl around for a few days. Who's the gopher's ally. His friends. The harmless squirrel and the friendly rabbit.

We moved an entire 42U cabinet from one datacenter to another last night. I was up from 6:30A yesterday until 3:30A today because of a early morning appointment. Kid woke me up at 7am, and then I dozed off and on until 9am. Made the mistake of laying down around 1 for an hour nap and I now feel even worse than before I napped. I'm convinced the only thing that will help is going to bed early tonight.

We moved an entire 42U cabinet from one datacenter to another last night. I was up from 6:30A yesterday until 3:30A today because of a early morning appointment. Kid woke me up at 7am, and then I dozed off and on until 9am. Made the mistake of laying down around 1 for an hour nap and I now feel even worse than before I napped. I'm convinced the only thing that will help is going to bed early tonight.

Days like that suck! Have a good brew to help ease you into a deep sleep! :mug:

You might want a backup plan

Have ever seen a opossum cornered and pissed off? I had one that fell in a garbage can try and eat the muzzle of my 10/22

Oh man the worst part of this wreck would be walking back up the hill to get back to the sled.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want a backup plan

Have ever seen a opossum cornered and pissed off? I had one that fell in a garbage can try and eat the muzzle of my 10/22

Actually did think about this. Grabbing a 25 - 30 pound wild animal with my bare hands? I can just have my rifle ready and shoot him in the cage. Never thought I'd ever shoot a caged animal, doesn't seem right. Dang, now I am feeling sorry for the ****er, probably if I can catch him, bullet to the head, then slice his throat and bleed him out.

Well, now hubby says if I catch him, he will drive him a long ways away and let him off in the forest. Realized I was serious about eating him. Waste of maybe some good food, but whatever. I can't really see shooting a trapped animal either.

I was catching feral cats one time in a large Havahart trap and got a nice sized possum in there instead. Looked out the window in the morning, and there was a light rain falling and him sitting these looking just about as angry as ever. He started hissing like a cat and lunging when I went to get the cage, he pissed everywhere, and I just ended up opening the cage and getting out of his way rather than anything else. Way meaner than any cat.

Actually did think about this. Grabbing a 25 - 30 pound wild animal with my bare hands? I can just have my rifle ready and shoot him in the cage. Never thought I'd ever shoot a caged animal, doesn't seem right. Dang, now I am feeling sorry for the ****er, probably if I can catch him, bullet to the head, then slice his throat and bleed him out.

Once you see him going nuts in the cage, you won't feel sorry for him. The one in my garbage can looked something like this.

opossumteeth.jpg

The other option is not to tell hubby I caught him. Here, have a bowl of stew... "Is this pork?" "Yes, honey, it's pork.".

Don't forget about opossum pie. Seriously though, there's gotta be something better running around the back yard. Don't you have any rabbits around there? Now that's good eating. I'd rather fry it up like chicken, but stew is ok too.

Don't forget about opossum pie. Seriously though, there's gotta be something better running around the back yard. Don't you have any rabbits around there? Now that's good eating. I'd rather fry it up like chicken, but stew is ok too.

Yes, over by where the blueberries grow in the spring, a whole colony of rabbits. While I'm picking berries, my dog will bring me one or 2 small ones. Yum, baby rabbit(about 3/4 grown, not tiny babies). I can't help it my dog killed them, might as well eat up. But rabbits are hard to find right now, in another month or so...

I've got a couple around here that are getting nice and fat. Been eyeballing them once in a while like Elmer Fudd. My BB gun broke on me though and I live in town so that pretty much limits my harvest options. Unfortunately I don't have a Rabit Retriever like you do.

I've got a couple around here that are getting nice and fat. Been eyeballing them once in a while like Elmer Fudd. My BB gun broke on me though and I live in town so that pretty much limits my harvest options. Unfortunately I don't have a Rabit Retriever like you do.

I like rabbit and this is the season to hunt them but I just have not had the time to go and hunt them. Coyotes are thick this year and I have not hunted them either. Just not going to kill anything unless I use it and dang if I am going to drag a coyote out for a 20 dollar pelt.

Now a bobcat would be a different story:D

Opossums as the exception to the rule about shooting caged animals. They aren't of this world and are actually from the underworld.
Anyone caught releasing or giving quarter to an opossum will be tried and punished for treason against humanity.

He's a Jack Russell Terrier and loves to go hunting. Brings me dead things all the time. I'll look at him disgusted sometimes, at his kill point, I want to see a clean kill. But he wags his tails and stares at me for approval no matter the shape the animal is in. He brings me squirrels, rabbits, ducks sometimes. He looks so innocent but he's a little killer. Good thing we don't have neighbors with small pets. He has caught big rats too, but actually I didn't eat those. Big for a rat, but no nutria, too small to bother with.

Varmintman said:
I like rabbit and this is the season to hunt them but I just have not had the time to go and hunt them. Coyotes are thick this year and I have not hunted them either. Just not going to kill anything unless I use it and dang if I am going to drag a coyote out for a 20 dollar pelt.

Now a bobcat would be a different story:D

Bobcats eh? This is the best I've gotten. Big boy. Hit him on the trot at 350 yds. Led him a little too much.

image-4082682699.jpg

image-1972750128.jpg

Bobcats eh? This is the best I've gotten. Big boy. Hit him on the trot at 350 yds. Led him a little too much.

View attachment 96436

View attachment 96437

Sweet shot man. Did you call him in?

I was hunting coyotes once and while at a set calling a big tom came up behind me about 15 foot away. I never saw him until I turned around to leave and was so startled I had no time for a shot.

Saw a cougar last year outside my place. Got my firearms license (there is such a thing here, requiring written and practical safety exams) around the same time, along with my hunting license (requiring another written exam), but still haven't bought a gun.

I'm thinking a Remington 7XX .308, and, on advice from others on this site, spending at least as much again on decent glass.

My dad got both of his licenses the same time as I did - and in fact wouldn't have passed the hunting exam without me whispering answers to him (not really being able to retain the difference between a cartridge vs a shell, much less diving ducks vs puddle ducks, or woodcock vs ruffed grouse), and having checked out some shotguns a few weeks ago we both really liked the feel of the Mossberg 535. He plans on getting one as soon as Bass Pro gets the gun safe he wants in stock... I'll probably wait until I've got the rifle stuff and some other outdoor gear first, though.

Saw a cougar last year outside my place. Got my firearms license (there is such a thing here, requiring written and practical safety exams) around the same time, along with my hunting license (requiring another written exam), but still haven't bought a gun.

I'm thinking a Remington 7XX .308, and, on advice from others on this site, spending at least as much again on decent glass.

My dad got both of his licenses the same time as I did - and in fact wouldn't have passed the hunting exam without me whispering answers to him (not really being able to retain the difference between a cartridge vs a shell, much less diving ducks vs puddle ducks, or woodcock vs ruffed grouse), and having checked out some shotguns a few weeks ago we both really liked the feel of the Mossberg 535. He plans on getting one as soon as Bass Pro gets the gun safe he wants in stock... I'll probably wait until I've got the rifle stuff and some other outdoor gear first, though.

Yup you can only shoot as good as your scope lets you see.

I have seen quite a few mt lions over the last few years. I wonder why the population has jumped so much.

Latest posts

Back