I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this time I thought I had crappy 3G, but now I see it for what it was, that TX had a crappy server ;) woohoo!

bottlebomber said:
All this time I thought I had crappy 3G, but now I see it for what it was, that TX had a crappy server ;) woohoo!

They were doing an update last night and now it seems to running a lot better.

emjay said:
Interesting. With bulk hops, group buys for grain, and reused yeast, I can make 5 gallons of, say, a pilsener for under $5.

I call horse balls on a $5 batch. Gimme the breakdown Charlie. I can do $10, but unless your stealing the hops and plugging your system into the outlet behind the old folks home I can't see it. Pilsner malt is expensive.

5 dollars a 5 gallon batch.... let´s see the cheapest I can get pilsner malt in bulk it´s 75 cents of euro a kilo, let´s say 4 kilos (a little less than 9 pounds), hops the cheapest I can get bulk will be around... €7 euros a kilo, let´s say we use 80 grams.

so 4 kilos of pilsener malt: €3
80 grams of cheap hallertauer or saaz: €.056
Yeast: reusing it so it´s free

Total: €3.65 in usd dollars will be: 4.75 USD.

Don´t know there in America but here it´s doable.

Horse balls!!! I don't believe you!!! Hmmm... something about that expression just sounds right.... and somehow wrong at the same time...

I do actually believe that 5-10 bucks for 5 gallons is possible... I was just horse balling you...

You need to add the cost of heating the water for mash, sparge and an hour long boil. An unless your basement/closet is at a perfect lagering temp you'll probably need some electricity to help out with that too.

I found my pictures of the tornado's aftermath.... In all 3 vehicles and part of one home damaged... but the guy clinging to the magnolia tree survived.

storm.jpg

storm2.jpg

storm3.jpg

storm4.jpg

storm5.jpg

Whoot I am asserting myself and am going to brew tonight. Well I brought the propane in the house to warm up any way

Wicked storm Bobbi. I am glad no one was hurt:)

A couple of years ago we had a micro burst that toppled a huge cotton wood on my best friends parents house. The tree was just huge and flattened the entire house except the bathroom where for some reason his mom had got up moments before and gone to.

I got photos somewhere and will post them if I can find them

34¢ a pound for pilsner malt? Horse balls... ;) That's like 18 bucks a sack. I couldn't even steal it for that cheap.

BobbiLynn said:
I found my pictures of the tornado's aftermath.... In all 3 vehicles and part of one home damaged... but the guy clinging to the magnolia tree survived.

Tornadoes can really tear a place up. We had a big one in 2011. Towns bordering mine got ruined. Since we "never" have tornadoes here, it's amazing that only a couple of people died. It just missed my brother's house.
I'm sure the fact that everyone has a cell phone and got calls warning them that it was happening saved lots of lives. I was at work 20+ miles away, watching the weather report when the TV camera broadcasted the twister live. I know I called my kids, knowing that they were near the activity.
I've seen plenty of news coverage of tornado damage, but it pales in comparison to actually seeing it in person.

Speaking of balls years ago with my first wife who happened to be a city girl and I went to the county fair and since I was working on a dairy farm I was looking at heifers. Boy that just sounds weird but true enough I was walking down the dairy barn.

Any way we left that barn and to get back to the beer tent we had to walk through the 4H barn and the ex stopped to look at a billy goat. She pointed to a rather large set of balls and commented what a weird looking udder, I wonder how to milk those hehe. Yup I urged her to go ahead and try to "milk" that weird udder:rockin:

City people just do not have a sense of humor I guess

I've seen plenty of news coverage of tornado damage, but it pales in comparison to actually seeing it in person.

To look out your window and see the force required to twist a huge tree into 2 pieces, I did get a cell phone call, get to the main house now!!! Everyone gathered there, why that guy working in the field didn't come inside is beyond me. He didn't believe a tornado was really coming. "Never" happens here either....

34¢ a pound for pilsner malt? Horse balls... ;) That's like 18 bucks a sack. I couldn't even steal it for that cheap.

Yup and around 42 cents the pound of vienna, directly from intermalt (I think it´s one of the suppliers of InBev) those are the only two varieties that are produced in Spain. Weyermann, being imported, it´s a little more expensive about 1.43 USD a kilo for base malts, 1.60 for premium base maltas and around 2 usd a kilo for specialty malts (shipping and taxes included). On the other hand american hops (which I love) are a little more expensive.

then I plan on smoking a nice tasty cigar.

So I take it they haven't banned smoking entirely in NYC? Or do you have to bend the rules in order to enjoy a nice stogie?

Edit: Ops, looks like this has already been covered, that's what I get for not keeping up.....

Hehe did you see how fast the thread died when I said that. You know sometimes it is just fun to stir the pot and get people posting.

Say I thought you were brewing soon. Have any better luck

Hehe did you see how fast the thread died when I said that. You know sometimes it is just fun to stir the pot and get people posting.

Say I thought you were brewing soon. Have any better luck

Actually got feeling a little sick today, will have to wait til tomorrow. Some kind of flu bug I think, temp was over 103 today, now I'm sweating, now I'm freezing. Hubby said how could you possibly catch the flu when you don't go anywhere. But talked to my best friend and she thinks it was that trip to Walmart, touching money that got me. Money makes me sick, that's why I never like to spend any. F%%% money.

Actually got feeling a little sick today, will have to wait til tomorrow. Some kind of flu bug I think, temp was over 103 today, now I'm sweating, now I'm freezing. Hubby said how could you possibly catch the flu when you don't go anywhere. But talked to my best friend and she thinks it was that trip to Walmart, touching money that got me. Money makes me sick, that's why I never like to spend any. F%%% money.

Ummm, touching anything in Wallyworld could get you sick.

Oh heck I hope you get feeling better soon. I guess I am dang lucky because I just never get sick.

I know it is a old wives tale but chicken noodle soup is good for what ails you

It's been -20 the last few nights around here. Man does that dry out the house and the body. Me and my boys are steam bathing in the brewshop tonight. I have the wood stove going not too hot (74*) but I have the electric boil kettle cranking and we're up to 82% humidity. There is actually fog in here and it feels great! It's only -4 outside so far tonight so it's getting better. You should see the steam when you open the door to go outside! It's not called steam from moist air to frozen vapor...what is that called?

It's been -20 the last few nights around here. Man does that dry out the house and the body. Me and my boys are steam bathing in the brewshop tonight. I have the wood stove going not too hot (74*) but I have the electric boil kettle cranking and we're up to 82% humidity. There is actually fog in here and it feels great! It's only -4 outside so far tonight so it's getting better. You should see the steam when you open the door to go outside! It's not called steam from moist air to frozen vapor...what is that called?

We have warmed up some around here and for that I am happy since I am going to brew tonight as well. Last week when I brewed it was so foggy I could not tell for sure when the boil started.

I know what you mean it is the same thing vapor trails are made of. Kind of cool looking:)

I should get out my heatstick and do an extract batch on the stove. My wife was just saying today the air in the house is too dry and we need to get some moisture in the air. That would do the trick. :)

Off to work now, have a good night.

I don't know why feeling sick makes me mad but it does. :mad: Ate some chicken and rice soup that hubby made for me but he says I have to stay 10-12 feet from him. He gave me an air mattress to put in my craft room. Pretty neat, you open the valve and it fills up with air by itself, then you close the valve when it's full and before you lay on it.

I don't know why feeling sick makes me mad but it does. :mad: Ate some chicken and rice soup that hubby made for me but he says I have to stay 10-12 feet from him. He gave me an air mattress to put in my craft room. Pretty neat, you open the valve and it fills up with air by itself, then you close the valve when it's full and before you lay on it.

Beats huffing and puffing to fill it up

Its full of foam, they have been selling them for backpacking for some time, crack the valve and it fills, to ambient pressure, give it a couple quick puffs and it hardens up if you want a firmer mattress.

I brewed Monday night it was zero, I had it raining in my garage for a bit. The upside is the really cold water temp chills the wort quick.

I have to tell you I sure enjoy brewing. Getting ready to mash in right now and I just love the fact that I am taking grain and making a beer out of it.

Life is grand when I am brewing

Last edited by a moderator:
Back