I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta share.

I tried to call the wife, but I know what she will say when I tell her I am in an uber cool place, "That's nice honey!". It's hard to add the right attitude here, but she is really saying, "I can't believe you called to tell me you are there and didn't take me with you." Yipes!

OK, on to the good stuff. I'm currently sitting at Hop Dogma Brewing Company in Half Moon Bay. I have had a couple Hop Nectars and a "The Nothing" Black IPA. These are fantastic craft brews and I've already had a chance to talk to one of the principal brewers. There is an acoustical guitar strumming in the corner (with an IPA in his hand). I found a table where I am watching the sun slowly start to sink. My goodness, what a fantastic experience. Finding inner peace in the tasting room of a small California brewing company.

I didn't make it down to Duarte's Tavern, but I ended up having an Albacore Tuna sandwich from the EL Granada Hardware & Café. And it was really good. OK, that might be the Black IPA talking, but I thought it tasted good!

Here is the fun part, I get to pick up the boss at SFO at 9PM. Yee Haw!

img_20140223_193740_300-62290.jpg

Soup was pretty good. The kids inhaled the braised pork. It was a good Sunday with nothing of any real importance accomplished.

Hubby's "online" friend arrived today to stay with us for a couple days, the guy brought his wife along. They are staying 2 nights and it's a guy that hubby met through a tractor forum he belongs to. Hubby seems a little aggravated by the visit even though he is the one who invited them!! He says to me, an hour before their arrival, "what are you doing??" (I was chatting with my daughter on Facebook) "they will be here in an hour!" Then he says to me, "You have to get ready for them!". I'm thinking, this is your friend, you invited him here... Then it sunk in that I have to get their room ready, figure out what I am going to feed them, etc... So what do I do? I snap to it and get everything ready... And it goes even further than this, the expectations, hubby says "you need to figure out where you are going to take them/how you are going to entertain them if the weather isn't good enough for the beach. Forecast is calling for rain. The beach is my go-to place, months ago when he said he wanted to invite his friend and his friend's wife here in the spring, I said, "Oh, sure, I'll take them to the beach". I love the beach and know all the good places to go.

This is what I mean by just reacting to life, I don't know what each day will throw at me. One thing for hubby to tell his friends, "oh, stop in the next time you are in Florida!" He runs this past me and I'm like, "Oh, sure, whatever". But 2 days before their arrival, I hear that they might be coming here, then the day they arrive, I'm asked, "Why don't you have everything ready for them????"

I will tend to his friends and do what I gotta do, but I also went ahead and booked a trip(for just me) to go see my friends and family and I booked it one way. I'll book my return trip when I'm good and ready to come back. Seriously, I booked my trip to see my family and friends as a one-way ticket.

Glad to hear you have family to visit BobbiLynn. Enjoy your time with them! Everybody needs a break once in a while to re-charge their batteries and remember where they came from. Best of luck to you, truly Sis.

Thanks. I'm leaving in 14 days. In order to really proceed in life as a proactive person instead of a reactive one, I would have to give up my role as wife and caretaker. I can't do that so I have to strike some kind of balance.

For this trip, the one in 2 weeks, I told hubby's family that I won't be here... so they need to figure out who will be taking over for me while I'm out of town. End of story, after this date, I won't be here to take care of things. They are expecting me back by the weekend, I'm sure, but we'll see how that turns out. My life feels like a roller coaster and right now I feel like I'm heading toward the slow climb to the top. When people look at me like they feel sorry for me, especially when hubby was looking really bad.... and then they look at me like "Oh, you poor woman". I don't feel like a poor woman. I feel like I am taking a test and I really want to get an A+.

I like your roller coaster analogy. Slow ride to the top. But look out Bobbi, then a fast and furious rides comes with twists and turns and loop de loops and before you know it, it's all over.

I actually really like the roller coaster analogy. And as far as that being some sort of advice. I've reconsidered. It's just life, I think.

Hubby truly was my "other half", or even "the better half of me", losing that really is like losing half of yourself. I never had to worry, he would always be at my side. My life was complete, I had him and that's all I needed. Now, I have his shell to take care of. He won't be back like he was, I'm smart enough to know that. I'm there in the hospitals, talking to the other spouses, I'm not stupid, I know that the hands of time do not turn back!! For those that don't know, hubby's cancer was caught late and it's just been a long struggle. Sorry to dampen the mood, but this'll probably be the last post of the day and tomorrow will be a new day.

BobbiLynn, you know there's enough mass of heart and souls here to absorb some bad news. We all have troubling times. None of us are right there with you but understand sometimes a person just has to get things off their chest.. Say it, write it, tell the dog about it.. whatever. Don't worry about bringing the thread down because it and you are going to bounce right back up.

My first attempt at bread. SWMBO says I should have made sourdough. Hmm, maybe easier said than done. I'll have to do some reading on the keeping a starter going thing.

If you would like a starter let me know, I have been using the same culture for 10+ years. It's easy to maintain, colder months I use it regularly, summertime I might pull it out and fed it once a month.

If you would like a starter let me know, I have been using the same culture for 10+ years. It's easy to maintain, colder months I use it regularly, summertime I might pull it out and fed it once a month.

Thanks Chef, I might take you up on that. I'm going to read about giving the starter a good home tonight. :mug:

My first attempt at bread. SWMBO says I should have made sourdough. Hmm, maybe easier said than done. I'll have to do some reading on the keeping a starter going thing.

Looks really nice especially for a first attempt! Tell her to shut up and be happy you made any damn bread at all:D

Actually, sourdough is the only bread I would ever need so that is a reasonable request. If I ever get serious I know who to ask for a starter now;)

Have you been on the bread thread?

Yep, that (and some earlier posts here) is what inspired me to try. Btw, my son loved the bread this morning, still warm. We mixed the same no knead batch when we got home and it's resting now. He wants to make it into Kaiser roll shapes from (your post?) video jn that thread.

I'm working tonight. I have a bid due in the morning so I have to finish it tonight. Stauff will recognize this scene:

thumb2_img_20140225_164958_753-62312.jpg

I am pretty much done so I'm having a shot of wine and screwing around here.

This has been a permanent fixture in my office since the start.

thumb2_img_20140225_164931_370-62313.jpg

My shelf of electrical catalogs. I can only guess how many years it has been since I have taken one off the shelf. Judging by the dust, it has been many. The internet has made them officially obsolete. I am not sure if I should get rid of them though we have been through a lot together;) I'm spring cleaning a month (3 UP months) early because work is a little slow. I cannot believe the things that I put on a shelf or stood in a corner and have not touched for 10 years. I have either been busy or lazy...

Yeah, we got way off track. This one reminds me of my daughter:

She sang or danced it once when she was little. She's going on 20 now.

Here is what my boys are interested in:

capture-62315.jpg

I gotta see what that's all about tomorrow;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep! Looks familiar!

It's out. Feels just like every other bid I ever sent out. I FAX'ed it out too. That was the only contact info I had on the plan holders. I threw my fax machine in the dumpster a few years ago and I have to pay extra to have an internet fax number that sends a PDF to my email. Is anybody faxing anymore or are we just living in the dark ages here?

It's out. Feels just like every other bid I ever sent out. I FAX'ed it out too. That was the only contact info I had on the plan holders. I threw my fax machine in the dumpster a few years ago and I have to pay extra to have an internet fax number that sends a PDF to my email. Is anybody faxing anymore or are we just living in the dark ages here?

Good luck man! I hope you get it. I have a decent little patch, paint & laminate floor project starting Monday.

I also used to pay to do the computer fax thing. I ended that service a few years ago, and now I email everything.

Good luck man! I hope you get it. I have a decent little patch, paint & laminate floor project starting Monday.

I also used to pay to do the computer fax thing. I ended that service a few years ago, and now I email everything.

Thanks but it sounds like somebody from out of the area low balled it. I hope the city may try to work with the next low to try and keep some work local but I am not holding my breath. Glad you have something going. I think it will be a decent year here too once the deep freeze lets up.

Been following the thread at lunch the past few days, haven't commented much. I think I throw this thread off track occasionally so didn't want to make a random comment.

I loved making bread.. I thought I was a pretty good bread maker and maybe have been known to be a self considered expert... in reality I didn't know ****. I only know that now through reading, I read a lot before about bread making but ChefRex has brought a whole new level to the table with the links and ... He kept a culture going for TEN years. That's awesome! Truly.

Stauff, Ischiavo, PP, you guys are heroes in my mind. You have struck out on your own to make a business that prodives for your family. A peice of the American dream which is so lost sometimes these days. Cheers to men (and women) like you and I thank you.

Not sure the song is appropiate but it just keeps playing through my head. This isn't about cars.. it's about a man building something he believes in, who endures challenges and overcomes them, no matter the circumstances, perseveres and is willing to make sacrifices to succeed.

All, so he can provide for and keep for, a loving happy family. :)

With great respect,

Last edited by a moderator:

If you must fax, try faxmaker.com. Use it at work. Scan in the document, start an email and attach the document. The fax number is the email address, ending with faxmaker.com Sends like a fax and u get a send confirmation email back. I had several vendors that would only quote from a faxed request, no email or phone! Really a PITA, they were my last choice many times.

Bread looks yummy, been a long time since I've had the bread smell in the house. Had a bread machine, seldom used it. Gone now. Great job on the ten year starter! First thing I think of is the blob..hahaha.

Wait.. maybe after re-listening to this song, might not sound like a tribute.. I just meant it to be a complement recognizing challenges, and over coming them. Guess I could have picked a different song. :eek:

Dan,
Been a long time since I thought of Jonny Cash. My dad used to play him and June Carter all the time. He was a great song writer and singer. You don't hear many tunes like JC's from the current country singers. Good pick.

Thanks for the nice compliment Dan! I totally got the message you were sending with that song, too!

I don't know crap about making bread, but I aspire to know. A couple of days ago I joined a bread making group on facebook, and now I'm feeling intimidated. haha.. Some of those people do some really amazing things! I'll start with baby steps.

Back