I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You were right PP. Now I have energy. Going to clean beer my father-in-law spilled then left all day in garage ( 3 gallon keg about half full), then broke a pint glass on it. Unfortunately his solution was to unplug the kezzer. Sigh, now the other 2 kegs are over carbonated. Ill probably slice a finger cleaning it up. Alzhiemers onset

You were right PP. Now I have energy. Going to clean beer my father-in-law spilled then left all day in garage ( 3 gallon keg about half full), then broke a pint glass on it. Unfortunately his solution was to unplug the kezzer. Sigh, now the other 2 kegs are over carbonated. Ill probably slice a finger cleaning it up. Alzhiemers onset

The kegs shouldn't be overcarbonated if the temperature increased. The beer will take less gas into solution at higher temps. Maybe I'm not understanding.

I hope your right, PP. I think you are. My anger got the best of my logic. The gas is still at pressure for cold(er) beer so as the keg heats it would be under carbed (if the existing pressure was relieved. Maybe. Im pissed off at my mop now. So I trust PP is right, which is always a strong policy.

I hope your right, PP. I think you are. My anger got the best of my logic. The gas is still at pressure for cold(er) beer so as the keg heats it would be under carbed (if the existing pressure was relieved. Maybe. Im pissed off at my mop now. So I trust PP is right, which is always a strong policy.

Could always be worse. I was trying to grab my mop (from outside, don't ask I really do not know) to clean my kitchen last night and found it was frozen to the deck. You can have that one if you can get it separated. It is kinda like the sword in the stone, only its a mop and you don't get to be the king of the Britans, you just get to clean the floor.

Could always be worse. I was trying to grab my mop (from outside, don't ask I really do not know) to clean my kitchen last night and found it was frozen to the deck. You can have that one if you can get it separated. It is kinda like the sword in the stone, only its a mop and you don't get to be the king of the Britans, you just get to clean the floor.

You don't know what's going to happen until you get it unstuck. I would work on it. You may end up Lord of Beer Spills or something. That's better than a kick in the nutz.

I found a rock hard frozen corney in the shop. It must be sanitizer. I have it defrosting in the kegger now with the temp control and a little space heater. I hope I didn't do any damage. It looks OK. I hope there is beer in it but I doubt it.

Here is an old project that is now almost finished. I love when I can check one of those off my list. This is a 1970 Quincy 230 compressor. We got it for free from an old customer when they tore down the building where it was used. That was in '05. We just happened upon the perfect motor for it and it runs perfect. I think it was completely overhauled a year or two before we got it. I am trying to spray some cabinet doors and this will make all the difference.

img_20140124_164048_876-62014.jpg

I got a chance to look at my compressor, older than I thought. 1945 Scaife also running a Quincy pump, probably a 80 gallon tank. Similar to this one.

Compressor_LR.jpg

I got a chance to look at my compressor, older than I thought. 1945 Scaife also running a Quincy pump, probably a 80 gallon tank. Similar to this one.

I like it! Have you done any maintenance? Ours is leaking a bit on the head. I was planning to get a rebuild kit. I emailed Quincy and they sent me PDF's of every manual the next day including step by step rebuild instructions. My neighbor, recently moved, worked at Quincy for 20 some years. He was jealous when I showed him our score.

I like it! Have you done any maintenance? Ours is leaking a bit on the head. I was planning to get a rebuild kit. I emailed Quincy and they sent me PDF's of every manual the next day including step by step rebuild instructions. My neighbor, recently moved, worked at Quincy for 20 some years. He was jealous when I showed him our score.

The basics, oil change, drain the tank, the motor was changed maybe 20-25 years ago, where does the time go? I had it for 15 or so years and had worked in the shop I got it from before that, they put up a new building and upgraded equipment at the time.
It serves me well, relatively quite and plenty of reserve.

The basics, oil change, drain the tank, the motor was changed maybe 20-25 years ago, where does the time go? I had it for 15 or so years and had worked in the shop I got it from before that, they put up a new building and upgraded equipment at the time.
It serves me well, relatively quite and plenty of reserve.

Awesome! I have heard Quincy pumps are indestructible. Maybe ours just needs a little exercise after a 9 year break. Maybe get some moisture back in the seals? We'll see.

This is its soon to be new home. Just to the right of the panels. It was a lot of work just to clear the space. We fed a 100A 120/208 3ph panel which subfeeds a 1ph panel on the right. The old black switch is gone now. I'll post another pic when its in place. We did all that with salvaged everything. Cost=$0.

img_20140211_174701_982-62166.jpg

I'm going to watch some Olympics. We bought an ad. So if you're watching wluctv6, you may see us around the time Nick Baumgartner rides. My dad golfs with him so we couldn't say no.

I think I found that in my research. The fear of 120 psi on a rusty tank...What's it gonna do? Blow some dust around. It won't be a nuke for sure ha!

Fear mongering, if a rusted tank is going to leak it's going to leak unless you hit it with a very high pressure quickly.
you need to discern your information from the web but I have to say this site has some of the most reliable information I've found on the web, thanks HBT!
Enjoy the Olympics, I've go to watch a fair amount, always enjoyable!

Hi friends. Firstly, I'd like to apologize for my randomness and the fact I just jump in this thread and blurt out personal babel instead of taking the time to address the topics being discussed.

Life has been a bit stressful and depressing. For those that don't know I'm a self employed construction worker, and I haven't had any work since the beginning of the new year. It's typical for us to slow down in January, but this year has been really bad. I've had my employees laid off this entire time, and that weighs very heavy on me. They are good guys with families, and I hate that I can't keep them working. I've actually been really close to submitting applications for jobs for the first time in 20 years..

Well, luckily last Friday I finally scored a decent project. I also submitted a bid on another one yesterday. Hopefully things will pick up, because I really don't fancy the idea of going to work for Lowes (or the like)..

So, this might sound like an excuse, but because of all of this I haven't been very talkative or cheerful. I've tried to throw in my 2 cents here and there, but it's been all I could muster.

I appreciate this thread and all the good people in it.

I'm having quite a few beers tonight, because after not working for a month I got my a$$ kicked the last 2 days due to not being used to the physical aspect anymore. I'm doing a little self-medicating tonight.

Cheers friends!

Hi friends. Firstly, I'd like to apologize for my randomness and the fact I just jump in this thread and blurt out personal babel instead of taking the time to address the topics being discussed.

Life has been a bit stressful and depressing. For those that don't know I'm a self employed construction worker, and I haven't had any work since the beginning of the new year. It's typical for us to slow down in January, but this year has been really bad. I've had my employees laid off this entire time, and that weighs very heavy on me. They are good guys with families, and I hate that I can't keep them working. I've actually been really close to submitting applications for jobs for the first time in 20 years..

Well, luckily last Friday I finally scored a decent project. I also submitted a bid on another one yesterday. Hopefully things will pick up, because I really don't fancy the idea of going to work for Lowes (or the like)..

So, this might sound like an excuse, but because of all of this I haven't been very talkative or cheerful. I've tried to throw in my 2 cents here and there, but it's been all I could muster.

I'm having quite a few beers tonight, because after not working for a month I got my a$$ kicked the last 2 days due to not being used to the physical aspect anymore. I'm doing a little self-medicating tonight.

Cheers friends!

Don't let life get you down Stauff. And for sure don't apologize for anything here. You don't have to do that among friends.

Cheers friends!

17 years of self employment/construction here. I dialed it back to just family in the last few years. It was of necessity. It did not feel good to let long time employees/ friends go. I have many grey hairs from worrying about jobs and employees. It feels good to have the load off my shoulders and we are actually seeing a better bottom line doing 1/5 of the work we used to. I hope you land some jobs and keep it rolling. Dont put too much pressure on yourself for things you cannot control. Cheers.

No need to apologize, construction is always tough when the economy and the weather don't cooperate, I hope things get better for you.
I'm a motorcycle mechanic so winter has always been a slower time but there has always been bigger projects to do and no one got laid off.
Since 08 some have had seasonal lay offs and it seems to be a recurring theme, I'm second in line in the shop so I don't have much to worry about unless something major happens.
It is what it is, best to all!

Thanks guys! I can always count on the good folks in this thread to be compassionate and help to lift spirits.

17 years of self employment/construction here. I dialed it back to just family in the last few years. It was of necessity. It did not feel good to let long time employees/ friends go. I have many grey hairs from worrying about jobs and employees. It feels good to have the load off my shoulders and we are actually seeing a better bottom line doing 1/5 of the work we used to. I hope you land some jobs and keep it rolling. Dont put too much pressure on yourself for things you cannot control. Cheers.

I'm thinking more along these lines, but it's a hard decision to make. My number one employee has been with me since the conception of my business 20 years ago. He's the highest paid. I hate to say it, but that makes it harder for me to keep him. Things were going so great in 2008, and then the economy tanked. I find myself doing some deep soul searching these days, and trying to figure out how to approach the future...

I'm thinking more along these lines, but it's a hard decision to make. My number one employee has been with me since the conception of my business 20 years ago. He's the highest paid. I hate to say it, but that makes it harder for me to keep him. Things were going so great in 2008, and then the economy tanked. I find myself doing some deep soul searching these days, and trying to figure out how to approach the future...

Thanks for making me feel better, these thing do cross my mind though.

Cheers friends!

Hey Mike!

Sorry to hear about the troubled times but now sounds as though things are a getting better. I truly respect men like you. You build a business and regardless of what some people think, it's not always as easy as it looks. You have not only yourself to take care of but the families of the men and women you employ. I'm very happy things have gotten better for you. Also, I do believe.. man You are a good person. Best of luck to your entreupanuerial sprit and committment to building your community. I could never do what you do.. I don't have the cahonnas.

I have great respect for men and women like you.

Cheers Brother! :mug:

Thanks for making me feel better, these thing do cross my mind though.

Sorry man. I can only hope your future with the company you work for is secure. I certainly want the same for my employees and myself, but sometimes things happen that are out of a persons control. We had great ambition and big plans early in the game. Everything was going according to that plan, and then everything seemed to change a few years ago. Struggle has become the norm, and I'm finally losing the ability to accept that anymore.

Hey Mike!

Sorry to hear about the troubled times but now sounds as though things are a getting better. I truly respect men like you. You build a business and regardless of what some people think, it's not always as easy as it looks. You have not only yourself to take care of but the families of the men and women you employ. I'm very happy things have gotten better for you. Also, I do believe.. man You are a good person. Best of luck to your entreupanuerial sprit and committment to building your community. I could never do what you do.. I don't have the cahonnas.

I have great respect for men and women like you.

Cheers Brother! :mug:

Thanks brother! Your sentiment means a lot to me. It really does!

It's been a long, hard road. I won't lie.

I'm not sure my cahonnas can take the beating anymore, haha...

Also staufbier sorry for taking over your conversation just like dan I have much respect for you and feel for you in a way seeing as how my current job will only last till June since that's when we are supped to be done with the current hotel we are renovating I only hope I've impressed the right people and they decide to take me on other projects

Brahahahaha

Sit in time out with another beer while she cools off?

Whatever you do don't let her go to bed unhappy. Learned today that a co-worker passed away last night unexpectedly, ya never know what the future might bring. Cheers to my brothers in beers

Whatever you do don't let her go to bed unhappy. Learned today that a co-worker passed away last night unexpectedly, ya never know what the future might bring. Cheers to my brothers in beers

Oh man Drunkle, good advice! Life is so short. We really need to concentrate on being happy. All the time, no matter what.

Hey Stauff, don't worry too much about your bills and employees and such. You and I and Donald Trump and the poorest bum will be worm food in a short while, so I say we try to be happy while we can.

Do your best, but be gentle to yourself after that. Whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. (I take that last bit from a poem that I won't bother with here.)

Time out it is I'm just glad there i still have another beer to have while on time out

Brahahahaha

Well said PP, sorry to bring the thread down. I feel for ya Stauff, really i do. Construction and any of the other working man blue collar (or no collar) jobs can be fickle.

I do not think I have ever been able to relate to a situation more than yours. I know the late night bidding, the disappointment from losing a job, the excitement of winning one. It is hard to not feel like you are a team with your workers. In reality, you are the only one sticking your neck out. How long would your employees stick around without a paycheck? How long have you gone without one or how much money have you loaned the company so they could be paid. I never got any thanks for that. The man writing the paychecks is in a very different situation than the man collecting them. Keep yourself a priority and do not let a losing situation go on too long. You know the way. You would not be so concerned now if you didn't. Believe me, it takes a long time to crawl out of the hole you can dig yourself into. Just Dont go there. YOU will be fine. Cheers bro.

Back