I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's official. Got some starters spinning. You know what that means....:ban:

This video is terrifying, but the song came to mind while I was firing up the stir plates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's official. Got some starters spinning. You know what that means....:ban:

This video is terrifying, but the song came to mind while I was firing up the stir plates.

YouTube

You must play this music 24/7 until your cell count is ready to pitch. Your SWMBO will understand I'm sure.

Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back :).

My advice, make at least twice what you think you can eat;)

I made her's too. But my pepper flakes were the wrong kind and mine turned out brown instead of read. I since have picked up the right stuff (oriental market). I must make again.

I think I remember that from the old kimchi thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/kim-chee-kimchi-172824/

I have never tasted anything like the korean pepper flakes I used. It certainly would not have been the same without them.

Here is my first and best batch of two so far, 2011. Just look at that yummy juice...
28946d1309556561-kim-chee-kimchi-forumrunner_20110701_164222.jpg

I also did the cucumber thing with some fresh garden cukes. This was very good too:
32688d1314760467-kim-chee-kimchi-forumrunner_20110830_221412.jpg

YouTube

I like this version better. I bet the yeast would too:D

The son of the director (MASH) is the one who wrote the song, he was 15 at the time I believe.

I hope he brought him straight to counseling.

Well one more song from me. A nice relaxing one before bed. I always loved this cover but only slightly more than the original:

I hope he brought him straight to counseling.

Well one more song from me. A nice relaxing one before bed. I always loved this cover but only slightly more than the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWChhdIgT6Q

Not a Pantera fan in general but I do love this song. Pantera is pretty good when you get past their scream-into-a-microphone image.

TC, and Ischiavo. I read to fast through your post's tonight, I'm sorry about that, it's been a long day and my future home is about to be pounced upon by the ocean.

TC, not everybody has the integrity you do. Some people care about what they do and do it well, some like the paycheck and will do anything to get out of work, some are incompetent and make excuses.. That's life, you know that.

Ischiavo, only one thing, well there are a few other memory's I'm not going to publish here about Korea - Kimchi! I'm probably mistaken but I think kimchi pots were buried all over the place and left to ferment. I love kimchee. The spicier the better.

Sounds like all the winter weather is about to play it's part on Hawaii, Oahu, probably the other islands as well but I didn't check into them.

Sometime during the evening/late-night, huge waves are going to hit the Oahu west coast. I don't think it’s being called a tidal wave or tsunami. But pretty big waves. 40'-50' foot face. There's probably a bunch of crazy surfers who want to give them a ride. Remember GI, the big wave hit and went. What was the guys name that rode that thing all the way from Hawaii to the deserted island and then back again? Bruce? Goose? I don’t remember his name.

So anyway, my wife is a little enthralled actually. It's not a typhoon hitting Oahu this time nor a hurricane.. Oahu for God's reason only has pretty much been left alone by huge storms for the most part.

But no matter what, Oahu is getting hit by some bigger than normal waves in the next few hours and days.

Here's a video of a fifty foot wave. I still don't know exactly what their measure is? It has something to do with the face of the wave. I looked it up but don't understand. Surfers or those that know, please feel free to explain.

I was just looking at the video I posted above. I suppose as long as the wave breaks long before it reaches land; which I think that's what surfers want. The tide will quickly pull the water back to the sea before it reaches the shore and harm comes to land.

People in Nebraska know that?

Thought we just knew corn, cows, and football, eh? And I'm not sure about the latter during these "Bo" years, but that is another rant.

I got to see a good chunk of the world when I worked at a Silicon Prairie company. I would always go out of my way to either eat, sleep, or visit locations with access to the water and the waves. I can actually feel my body slow down and relax when I'm standing on a beach. Of course, the beach would have other intrinsic values like the occasional Women's Professional Sand Volleyball Championship. :ban:

Hi friends. Having a rough couple of days. I have a broken hot water line under the slab in my house. Leak detection company has been out twice, but can't seem to nail down the location for sure. Tomorrow I'm going to start jackhammering in my kitchen where we think it might be, and move from there. It sucks, but things could always be worse. Having me some comfort food and beer. Reuben with homemade kraut and a homebrewed hoppy red..

IMG-20140122-00707 (2).jpg

That sandwich sure looks good! Sorry about your pipes; makes me happy to have a basement that my water lines run through! And I also feel fortunate that for some reason, I've never had a problem with frozen pipes, either.

Stauff, not a fun process. At least your not expecting a low of -5 tonight. Be safe and I hope you find the leak on the first pass.

That sandwich sure looks good! Sorry about your pipes; makes me happy to have a basement that my water lines run through! And I also feel fortunate that for some reason, I've never had a problem with frozen pipes, either.

Thanks to you both! I was really freaking out about this at first, then I found out that a friend has cancer of the throat and tongue today. I guess that really puts things in perspective. I'd rather have my house torn apart and take cold showers considering...

Cheers friends!

Mike, sorry to hear about your water problems. My folks had a similar problem except sewage pipe under the house leading to a septic tank. Best of luck nailing that thing down. Sounds like you’re attacking it with the big guns.

A Rueben, with homemade kraut and homebrew.... man that sounds like heaven.

:mug:

My dad moved to Half Moon Bay last week (just below San Francisco). My youngest brother lives there. My dad's really excited that the big wave is coming to Mavericks this week. It's a surfing mecca, and when the big wave comes, so do the surfing superstars. Pillar point, which is the promontory there, is a beautiful place at any time.

I just got home from out of town. Good to be back. Here's a mellow tune for my late nite pals, for your late nite soundtrack. Greg Laswell, covering The Wanted.

Hi friends. Having a rough couple of days. I have a broken hot water line under the slab in my house. Leak detection company has been out twice, but can't seem to nail down the location for sure. Tomorrow I'm going to start jackhammering in my kitchen where we think it might be, and move from there. It sucks, but things could always be worse. Having me some comfort food and beer. Reuben with homemade kraut and a homebrewed hoppy red..

Sorry to hear of your pipe issues. Hope you find the problem quickly.

Thanks Dan and Melana. Finishing up some coffee now, and then tackling it head on. After a few beers last night I was able to regain composure and think more clearly. I have come up with an idea that might allow me to re-route the water line through the wall if I find what I'm looking for behind the sheetrock.

Well.... Ended up jackhammering after all. The leak is fixed. I had a really long, hot a$$ shower. The house is covered in concrete dust, but I'm not feeling to put off by that at the moment. I'll fill the hole with cement and clean up tomorrow in time to have a "normal" weekend. Saturday I'm going to make a Brie en Croute to celebrate. Cheers friends!

Good for you. It's kinda terrifying to have to destroy select parts of your house in order to save it.

When I moved into my house I had to do a lot of demolition work and remodeling, during which I realized how badly the previous owners had made hack "improvements". Half of a bearing wall had been removed with a sawz-all in order to install a closet, which was assembled from 1x3, finish nails, and *lots* of hot glue. All of the vertical 1 x 3s were under compression when I discovered them so I had to do some quick bracing with lally columns. All of the lighting in this part of the house was fed using extension cords passed through the walls and ceiling.

It's all better now, and I am almost recovered from the process. I think it was what really got me into beer drinking.

Thanks TC!

Being a home remodeler I've seen hack jobs like what you mentioned one too many times. I actually specialize in fixing situations like that.

The funny thing is... When I'm on the job I'm in total control of the situation, and I have a great ability to think on my feet and deal with problems. When it's my own house all of that goes right out the window, and I seem to lose all control and ability to think on the fly. In times like today, I certainly gain perspective on what my clients go through when I'm tearing through their house like a freight train! I can appreciate the stress that they feel when I'm creating what I consider controlled chaos in their home.

I'm calm and complacent now. I realize it's just dust and a little hiccup in my normal routine. I have my health. I have my family. I have my home. That's what the big picture is all about.

Cheers TC!

Too bad about the water issues. On a bright note, it's good to be eating like a king. I love a good Reuben better than any other sandwich in the world.

Too bad about the water issues. On a bright note, it's good to be eating like a king. I love a good Reuben better than any other sandwich in the world.

Yeah, that Reuben really did make everything better last night. So much so that I had another one tonight. With even more meat and more kraut. This time I put spicy mustard on it, too!

Well.... Ended up jackhammering after all. The leak is fixed. I had a really long, hot a$$ shower. The house is covered in concrete dust, but I'm not feeling to put off by that at the moment. I'll fill the hole with cement and clean up tomorrow in time to have a "normal" weekend. Saturday I'm going to make a Brie en Croute to celebrate. Cheers friends!

Nice. I was wishing good things for you. I have plumbing running through my slab too. I really admire people who can fix these types of things themselves, and it says a lot about you. Wish there was a way I could send you a cold one over HBT.

One of the reasons slab foundations give me the creepy crawlies. Out of curiosity what's your flooring, polished concrete or something else?

Nice. I was wishing good things for you. I have plumbing running through my slab too. I really admire people who can fix these types of things themselves, and it says a lot about you. Wish there was a way I could send you a cold one over HBT.
Thanks PP! I really appreciate that.

I do have some knowledge and guts for doing this kind of stuff, but I did enlist the help of one of my friends (also an employee of mine) who has some plumbing background.

I accept your virtual cold one, and I toast you with it!

One of the reasons slab foundations give me the creepy crawlies. Out of curiosity what's your flooring, polished concrete or something else?

Yeah, at least 90% of the homes here are on slab. The floor that we were jackhammering was in my kitchen, and it's covered with vinyl. The good news is that the area was under the fridge cavity, so nobody will ever see it. I'll still cover the repair with some mis-matched vinyl just to keep things tidy.

...Is it normally expected for a landlord to provide those appliances?...
Around here a fridge, range, and usually a microwave is expected. If a microwave isn't already in place then a shelf for a normal counter model is pretty standard.

Washer/dryers are available in about 20% of the apartments. Washer/dryer hookups in about 60% with the remainder having either nothing or laundry room access. When a washer/dryer is available it usually requires an additional deposit if you want them.

Argggh! I got seriously stiffed by a co-worker today and I feel like smashing things now. I hate people that would willingly look stupid or inept to avoid a little extra work and dump it on someone else. It's a sign that they don't really give a damn about what they do. And worse, it is a sign that they don't give a damn about their reputation amongst colleagues. In any other profession it might get a pass, but in education this is just inexcusable...
You know, this happens to me so often that if I let it make me angry I'd be enraged all the time. It isn't "ok" in any workplace or industry.

Thanks PP! I really appreciate that.

I do have some knowledge and guts for doing this kind of stuff, but I did enlist the help of one of my friends (also an employee of mine) who has some plumbing background.

I accept your virtual cold one, and I toast you with it!

Yeah, at least 90% of the homes here are on slab. The floor that we were jackhammering was in my kitchen, and it's covered with vinyl. The good news is that the area was under the fridge cavity, so nobody will ever see it. I'll still cover the repair with some mis-matched vinyl just to keep things tidy.
I'll toast you with some cider tonight too. That kind of work takes some guts to handle on your own! Especially in your own house.

Is it normally expected for a landlord to provide those appliances?
Around here a fridge, range, and usually a microwave is expected. If a microwave isn't already in place then a shelf for a normal counter model is pretty standard.

Washer/dryers are available in about 20% of the apartments. Washer/dryer hookups in about 60% with the remainder having either nothing or laundry room access. When a washer/dryer is available it usually requires an additional deposit if you want them.

To answer your question dan, yes. I have never and would never rent a place that didn't have appliances in it. I have some experience with moving... A couple years ago I looked back on all my moving and it turns out I was averaging a move at least once per year for a few decades.

Back